Is anyone on ESA for Alcohol Addiction

sja75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as everyone can maintain civility, I will let this thread continue as you request.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

This is a public forum - people can read and make comments. There are limits to what we're prepared to do to restrict speech.

Still, there are others here who have had similar problems to you, and if I wasn't trying to repair my computer I'd do some research into the "forced to attend AA" thing, as it seems wrong to me. I'll get to it when I can.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

The link doesn't seem to work, estellyn ...

The problem is that the link contains a word automatically banned by our filters.

To access, replace the four stars in the link with a short word often used to mean "drunk".

Sorry I didn't realise a banned word was in the link - it does work, as Antone said if you replace the **** in the address bar.

No biggie, sometimes our automated filters are a bit...enthusiastic, heh.

I have just read my thread back, thank you guys for the help, I will get in touch with the DWP to try and get it suspended.

In addition. This is definitely not a wind up as it was suggested earlier.

I know someone who has been claiming sick benefits for almost 20 years for alcohol addiction. Last year he was migrated from IB to ESA, had an assessment, and was put in the WRAG. Since then, he has not been called for any work-focussed interviews, or put on a work programme, or sent to AA, or forced to seek therapy for his addiction, or called him for another assessment. They've left him completely alone.

(Now compare that to my ex-husband, who doesn't drink, takes meds for anxiety, has therapy, is called for re-assessment every 3 months, and has to attend a work programme for interviews every month....!)

Hi all me again!

The advice I have received on here has being great.

I do have a question though. I have being advised on another thread that I DO have to attend this Work Provider and go to AA meetings. Even thought I am still in the assessment phase of ESA. This chap said I needed to comply stating it wasn't Work Program as such, it was something called a Condition Management Program.

I am confused....

Am I obligated to this? It has being advised on this thread that I should not have to participate in anything whilst being on ESA at the assessment phase.

Any advice please! Thanks

Hi all me again!

The advice I have received on here has being great.

I do have a question though. I have being advised on another thread that I DO have to attend this Work Provider and go to AA meetings. Even thought I am still in the assessment phase of ESA. This chap said I needed to comply stating it wasn't Work Program as such, it was something called a Condition Management Program.

I am confused....

Am I obligated to this? It has being advised on this thread that I should not have to participate in anything whilst being on ESA at the assessment phase.

Any advice please! Thanks

Hello again.

Do you mean a thread on this forum, if so which one and which post please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB

It was this post

speedfreek 08:59 15th August 2012

Originally Posted by sja75: Ok thanks

My queries are...

1. Am I obligated to attend thesemeetings and what powers do they have over me.

2. I don't feel I could attend the tribunal. However I am aware that attending a tribunal in person I would be twice as likely to succeed than not attending. How can I get around this? 1, Yes you are as a condition of your ESA isthat your are in therapy/management for your addiction. Ask them to fully explain what that means in your case.

Originally Posted by : Drug users and alcohol abusers - Clause 9 and Schedule 3 of the Act provide for problem drugs users and those who have problems with alcohol to be directed to make, and comply with, a rehabilitation plan. In some circumstances they could also be required to undergo drug testing. 2, you can't unless you start to think and ask for help. In fact you should 1st ask (edited) for help!

Now is this (edited) (weblink edited)? If it is then it's not strictly Work Program in the nasty Ingus thread sense. It's what is called a "Condition Management Program" (CMP) More about that later.

There may be a welfare organisation/charity/friend service who can accompany you if that helps? Taxi there? whatever ask your provider.

Now what is a CMP? A CMP is a total life package for a claimant that tries to assist with all aspects of that persons life to eventually get them back into to work. When they get a job the assistance continues for as long as they need it.

Read more on them here http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/cmp-lessons-learned.pdf

Now have a read then start asking questions about what you want to get out of this and how? Also how to best make use of the organisations around you to make your life a little bit easier. Hell it will not be an over night miracle and is quite scary at 1st. But you never know until you

Thanks

Thanks ABC

I have read that...

Still unclear it mentioned CMP being for twelve weeks only. I have being participating since Nov last year. If indeed this is what I am participating in?

It's unclear if its for ESA at the assessment phase or main phase ESA.

Any help please guys... Regards

Just a quick response, sja75.

I can't see how it could be possible to enforce attendance at AA meetings, to be honest. In order to be sure you were attending, the provider would surely want to check with AA, and AA won't tell them. As an organisation, they defend their 'anon' policy fiercely and their meetings are shrouded in secrecy. They do have open meetings on occasion but these are pre-arranged usually so that members have the option of not attending where non members may be present. They only use first names, the sharing of surnames and other personal information is not encouraged and though members may choose to share this information in meetings, it is agreed among members that this information is not to be taken out of the meeting. They do not keep records of attendance or retain files on their members whatsoever. They are not allowed to badger members if they choose to stop coming to meetings. I know that AA welcome professionals urging their clients/patients to contact the AA but they don't take referrals; the organisation must ring AA's main contact centre then hand the client/patient the phone. AA will then arrange independently with the client/patient to meet a member who will take them to an AA meeting. AA would not entertain forced attendance in my opinion, it makes a mockery of the principles contained in the 12 steps. AA strongly believe that a person is a member 'if and when the member says so.' In view of their protection of their members (anonymity being the foundation of their organisation) I'm not sure how it could be proven that you had attended any meetings if the provider so required it.

That does not strictly answer your question but it does give you something as a starting point to look into yourself. You could ring AA on 0845 769 7555 and ask them if they would participate with work programme providers in enforcing someone to attend meetings when they do not wish to. You would not need to give your name - though they may ask for a first name so they have something to call you during the conversation. You could even give them a pseudonym. I guarantee their answer will be no, they would not encourage forced participation. Or you could spend some time looking at their website, I'm sure the answer will be on there somewhere. It won't directly say they won't work with providers but will say something along the lines I've mentioned no doubt about people themselves deciding to become members when they decide that they want to. Their website is http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/index.cfm

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Erika

Thanks for the advice.

My concern is still regarding information release regards attendance....

The chap from the Work Provider is an ex drug addict, he knows all about the system of AA and NA, the Big Book etc. I think he could, in some way, establish my attendance, perhaps by back channels, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks