Bus lane PCN - turning left - Manchester

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I have recieved a pcn for being in a bus lane whilst turning left into a car park. I definitely want to appeal this as the picture shows my car in the bus lane for only a few metres before turning left into the car park. What are the rules on this?

I have tried to look up the Traffic Management Order for this bus lane but Mcr council don't have any on their website. I have read somewhere else online that the bus lane is supposed to have a break in the solid white line where the junction is?Is that correct? This specific bus lane has no break in the solid white line.

Hope someone can help!

We would need to see it to correctly advise. Can you either post up the picture or give us the exact location so we can check street view.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Thanks for replying. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=m21+8a&hl=en&ll=53.436109,-2.273644&spn=0.003253,0.009645&sll=57.746995,-4.687341&sspn=5.970911,19.753418&hq=8a&hnear=Manchester+M21,+United+Kingdom&t=m&fll=53.435643,-2.271616&fspn=0.003253,0.009645&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.435982,-2.273611&panoid=w5TtJJMbtAdpAwFN0eNG6g&cbp=12,161.91,,0,0.3

Here it is on google. Let me know if the link doesn't work. In the picture the council have sent me, my vehicle is in the bus lane at around the same position as the car in this google image. Then there is another picture of me turning left in to the road just in front of KFC. There are cars in the main lane ahead of me, one car is turning right and other cars are beginning to lean into the bus lane to over take it ( that would be about here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=m21+8a&hl=en&ll=53.435981,-2.273612&spn=0.003253,0.009645&sll=57.746995,-4.687341&sspn=5.970911,19.753418&hq=8a&hnear=Manchester+M21,+United+Kingdom&t=m&fll=53.435643,-2.271616&fspn=0.003253,0.009645&layer=c&cbll=53.436106,-2.273643&panoid=4dmRDywKkJmmm8Jvjg_-xw&cbp=12,177.43,,0,13.41&z=17 )

Mmm, my take is that you should treat the solid white line as a kerb so when you get to a left turn into a side road or premises, you turn where the broken lines are. It's interesting to note that the line is broken for the petrol station but not the other properties. As long as you didn't travel in the bus lane for longer than necessary to make your turn, I would certainly appeal on the basis that the solid white line should be broken at that point.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I've come up with -

I would like to appeal the above PCN on the grounds that, although I am pictured in the bus lane before turning left into the car park, there is no clear road markings on the correct position to turn left.

The bus lane has a solid white line continuously past the junction, however there are breaks earlier for the petrol station. There are supposed to be clear breaks in bus lanes to allow drivers to estimate the correct position to take when wanting to turn left over a bus lane.

I hope you consider my appeal and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Have I provided enough information?

Yes.

But without actually seeing the images they hold, it's difficult to know how it will pan out.

Please Note

I would say these images are taken from a CCTV clip. Have you requested to see the video?

Please Note

Hmmm.. Ok I'll request to see the video. If it turns out to be more than a few metres then I'm liable to pay the fine?

I think it's 20 in these circumstances although I am happy to be corrected. BUT lets not forget the missing broken lines issue!

Please Note

I just called to ask for the footage. The man on the other line was really friendly, said that they'd been getting a lot for this area - not sure if he meant tickets or appeals, perhaps both - He said to put in an appeal, they'll put my ticket on hold, and to state that I was using it for the sole purpose of turning left, not to gain speed or distance over other vehicles. He said also to mention the fact that there is no clear indication on when it's correct to use the bus lane to turn left. Although he did state that it should be where the cyclist is in the second picture.

So here goes!