Mobile Number Retention

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I've just paid off my 2 year contract for my mobile phone with T-mobile and set up a new one with T-mobile via Tesco . I have a PAC code because I need to retain my mobile number but T-mobile wont agree to transfer my old number to my new mobile contract. If I went to an alternative network I could take my number but I'm informed by T-mobile I can't do it in my case.

I thought there was legislation to the effect that the number was mine to move as I like. Am I wrong? What can I do? What rights do I have? Thank you.

How old is your PAC code, if its under 28 days and your account is still live transfer it to a PAYG network (not T-mobile or Tesco) then get PAC code again and take from PAYG network to tesco ! You might have to put £10 on a PAYG network but its worth it to retain your number.

T-mobile are probably saying they cant port to the same network. Tesco is a virtual network and while your right on what you say on porting number, this is probably quickest way to deal with it. Then once you have your number on Tesco complain in writing to T-Mobile to get your losses recovered.

Hmm If tesco have set your account up without your PAC, it has a new number. That is the number that is linked to your contract, and a lot of networks will not port you accross

You need to check this is not what has happened.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hmm If tesco have set your account up without your PAC, it has a new number. That is the number that is linked to your contract, and a lot of networks will not port you accross

You need to check this is not what has happened.

All networks have a responsibility to PORT. The exception to the rule is porting to own network. IE T-Mobile to Tesco.

Are you saying that you cancelled Contract A with T-Mobile and then either went to Tesco and signed up for Contract B on the T-Mobile network?

If the above is correct then T-Mobile are correct, You CANNOT port a number from the same network to the same network. Basically porting is transfer a number from one network to another. So T-Mobile are unfortunately completely right.

If you still have your PAC code, as JohnVernon has said, purchase a PAYG sim card on any other network (Not T-Mobile) transfer your number across (3UK would be the best bet as they don't have a minimum port-out time). Then request your PAC from them and give it to T-Mobile.

It seems a lengthy process (should take around a week or so), it is however the only way!

All networks have a responsibility to PORT. The exception to the rule is porting to own network. IE T-Mobile to Tesco.

Once the contract is live, they don't. they need to be told you want to port at the start, and then you are correct, they have to do it. Once the contract has started there is no requirement. (unless that has changed in the last year)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Once the contract is live, they don't. they need to be told you want to port at the start, and then you are correct, they have to do it. Once the contract has started there is no requirement. (unless that has changed in the last year)

Customer can port a number anutime during contract as long as PAC code from other network is under 28 days old or has been re-issued. Standard condition I deal with everyday. Possibly not OFCOM reg but best practise and adhered to.

Wasn't adhered to by o2 during last year (I have friends who are staff there) and I had an argument over this with 3 (they wanted my other half to sign a contract 3 months before her old one ended, and then she could port her number to them... When I asked their customer relations team if that was something they could do, they informed me not, the number is intrinsically linked to the contract, and that far in a customer couldn't change it "best practice" or not.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Wasn't adhered to by o2 during last year (I have friends who are staff there) and I had an argument over this with 3 (they wanted my other half to sign a contract 3 months before her old one ended, and then she could port her number to them... When I asked their customer relations team if that was something they could do, they informed me not, the number is intrinsically linked to the contract, and that far in a customer couldn't change it "best practice" or not.

Looks to me that 3 were trying to get a new customer which is fine and what they said is correct, however when your other half asked 02 for the PAC what they said is correct. They legally should have released the PAC code however are withintheir rights to charge the remainder 3 months on the contract.

A PAC code can be asked at month 1 or indeed any month, however a charge will be levied for the remainder of the contract. In theory if you have had various PAC codes and they were live you could port where ever you want. Anyway good having this debate, its good for others to get advice. I have worked in telecoms for 12 years and Im pretty sure (I think) of the regs. and best practice across the industry !

You misunderstood me (teach me for posting at such a late hour :p)

o2's policy was you could not port your number to o2 after the contract had began, they needed the PAC when setting up the contract which was confirmed as still being the case last by someone I worked with at o2 when I was questioning her about their ability to port mid contract due to my concerns with 3.

3 tried to sell a contract (obviously for their commission) but when I questioned their customer relations team, they said they cannot port after the 1st bill, so what the store said to get a sale was incorrect.

I had worked handling customer complaints for o2 and t-mobile for a number of years, but my knowledge is getting outdated fast :p

p.s. I would also say that being charged full rate for ending a contact early is unfair, all the network should charge is their actual costs (without profit) as defined in the"unfair terms in consumer contract regulations act" (which essentially used to be the basis for bank charge reclaims.)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

You misunderstood me (teach me for posting at such a late hour :p)

o2's policy was you could not port your number to o2 after the contract had began, they needed the PAC when setting up the contract which was confirmed as still being the case last by someone I worked with at o2 when I was questioning her about their ability to port mid contract due to my concerns with 3.

3 tried to sell a contract (obviously for their commission) but when I questioned their customer relations team, they said they cannot port after the 1st bill, so what the store said to get a sale was incorrect.

I had worked handling customer complaints for o2 and t-mobile for a number of years, but my knowledge is getting outdated fast :p

p.s. I would also say that being charged full rate for ending a contact early is unfair, all the network should charge is their actual costs (without profit) as defined in the"unfair terms in consumer contract regulations act" (which essentially used to be the basis for bank charge reclaims.)

Fair points, however I stand by by statement on PAC codes, they can be issued at anytime during contract term and indeed ported to new network at anythime no restrictions whastsoever.

As for the not getting charged for the remainder of the contract I don't necessary agree with that and I will show you a quick scenario.

Customer sign up to 2 year contract (fixed term @ £40 per month = £1000 assumed revenue from this customer.

Customer gets iPhone 4S 16GB . COST £410 = VAT so roughly £500

Dealer needs to be paid commission @ £250 (ish)

There is now nothing left in the deal once you factor in marketing, overheads etc.

So while your argument is good for the consumer it would not work. Possibly on a SIM only but when a piece of kit is given away the compnay need to re-coup the cost of the handset.

Consumers sign up to a fixed term contract and unless their is any signal issues then they should be bound by that. If I take out a 3 year fixed loan with my bank Im bound by that.

The reason the phone is given for free is so that it is NOT privy to the Consumer Credit Act. If mobile companies acted properly, they would make the "phone contract" a hire purchase... but then they would have to follow all the legislation that goes with that. The way the contract is written, then handset holds no part, it is mealy a "free gift" for that customer to join.

Also, even if there is a signal issue, you are at the mercy of the mobile company, as signal is also conveniently left out of the contract :p

to

C.A.G. Toolbar