Pc world/knowhow completely unacceptable service - need help!

Meganium25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I registered on here today after nearly a year of enduring pc world's service.:x

I purchased an Acer Aspire X1301 desktop PC from this store on the 16th of January 2010. I also purchased the Whatever Happens Club warranty service they offered - now known as the KNOWHOW service.

Right off from the start we had a problem; the first unit we received and took home would not start up. Now it's clear that this must have been some sort of sign for the troubles that would arise in the next years.

We returned the first unit and got another unit. This unit we have had for nearly 2 years now.

The pc wouldn't start and had the blue screen of death frequently, and general power issues such as the pc booting but no fan running despite the blue led light on the front turning on. This was in March 2010, and an engineer came to our house to replace the case due to "power issues to do with the pc case".

Next, in October 2011 the SAME PROBLEM OCCURRED. We sent the pc in for repair, and the fault was diagnosed by pc world as "boot fault", bsod and powers off". They had, this time, not even TOLD US WHAT REPAIRS HAD BEEN MADE.

The desktop, being so unpredictable, ran fine after this again, until the 15th of March 2012. The SAME PROBLEM HAPPENED - YET AGAIN! :-x

Again the pc was sent in for repair and this time we were told on paper that during the repair the Hard Drive had been replaced - WHY HAD THEY NOT DONE THIS BEFORE? IS THIS SIMPLY THEM LYING, or replacing things because they do not know the real fault with the pc? I'm not sure. Then we received the pc back from the 'KNOWHOW' team.

Then, just 3 DAYS LATER :-x , the PC started acting up again - WITH THE SAME PROBLEM of turning off randomly.

This time, I'd had enough of this terrible treatment PC world had given us - CLEARLY, they HAD NOT FIXED THE ISSUE THAT HAD STARTED IN 2010 with the "faulty case", and again, we took the PC to our local PC WORLD store. The 'KNOWHOW expert' at the store was very sympathetic and told us that the pc would be sent in for a write-off request - When we were at the store howeer, he opened up the pc, checked some things, didnt even bother booting it up, and just phoned the 'repair team' and talked about getting a write off.

However, we were finally glad that we could just get a new pc that would just work - and not one that would have to be sent in for repair every few months - or even days at one point!

We were told by the KNOWHOW member that we would be able to get vouchers to get a new pc at PC World. We were happy with this, and he said that it would take around a week for the whole procedure normally.

Just three days later however, another KNOWHOW member called us up informing us that the write-off cannot continue.

Apparently, the pc was working fine at that moment, and for this reason they could not send it off to the write off team - THE PROBLEM IS, I EXPLAINED TO HIM, THAT THIS IS WHAT ALWAYS HAPPENS - THE PC IS FINE FOR ONE MOMENT AND THE NEXT IT DOES THE WHOLE TURNING OFF THING AGAIN! :-x !

I told him this, but as ever, the KNOWHOW team say they understand our situation as customers but do not do anything to help us. He told us that the pc would be cleaned, sent back and that was it.

I was very frustrated at this terrible service, and he also told me that when the problem happens again, i should phone up the call centre and ask for "second level TSA support" - this, he said, was a higher form of authority which would be able to push for a write -off stronger and thus would help us get a replacement pc.

At this point, if you have read all this, I hope you can see what I am so frustrated about. This pc has been sent in 4 times (5 if you include the exchange of pc on the very day we bought it), and the same problem occurs all the time.

The pc world KNOWHOW person who was there had even told us that since it had occured 4 times, with the same problem, we were entitled to a write-off and replacement, but he unfortunately did not tell us that after 4 times we were only eligible to a write- off.

This is not that much of a problem however as this is in the warranty contract. The problem is that the pc turns off randomly, so at times it will seemingly work fine and then gradually it gets worse until we send it in for repair.

Then the same cycle would happen again!

I would really appreciate some help with dealing with this ridiculous service I have received over the past 2 years - I just want a working PC. Add on top of that that the warranty runs out in January 2013 - it seems to me as if they are delaying replacements until the warranty finishes and then they will do nothing about it at all.

I really would like some help with this ordeal - sorry for the long post but I wanted to make it really clear how bad I feel I have been treated as a customer who has paid over £500 for the PC and the warranty service.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we have knowhow onboard here at cag

i'm sure once paul sees this thread

he will advise

in the meantime you can follow the following advise

it might speed the issue along:

ou will not be able to PM

this gent

please follow the info below:

Hi Guys,

you can contact me at http://getsatisfaction.com/curryspcworld/

I will be able to chat to you further from there.

Kind Regards,

PaulThe KNOWHOW Team

or

Thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forum.

I am sorry to read of the trouble that you have experienced

If you would like to email me at letusknow@knowhow.com with your agreement details and postal details and tel number,

I will look into this for you to see what I can do to resolve this.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you both very much - sorry I forgot about the bank holidays, I've been in such a frustrated state of mind. I will be sure to contact those adresses dx, I hope Paul will be able to help me!

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi Meganium25,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the CAG forum. Please accept my apologies that you have had an ongoing issue with your product.

If you would like to email me at letusknow@knowhow.com and include your agreement number and any repair reference numbers that you have been given I will look into this for you and see what can be done.

From what I have read from your post we could potentially request a write off under 'poor repair history' as the item has been in for repair on multiple occasions. This is something that I will look into for you and then get back to you as soon as I have an update.

One last thing. In your email please state the location of the product if you have it or if the store or repair hub are in possession.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team

This is why I always advise people I know to avoid Currys and PC World. Their aftercare is quite possible in my opinion the worst in the industry.

used to be

its now alot better since the recent changes

next up COMET!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

will agree its got better

im seeing next to no repeat repairs that seem badly carried out

Edited by 42man

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

the desktop section at the repair center is fairly new so its possible its not yet upto the same speed as the rest

id chase it with paul - he is ussually excellent at service on this forum

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi Guys,

I have just received an update from our write off team. They have declined the write off on the product due to 'No fault found'. The unit was soak tested for 20 hours continuously and the team were unable to replicate the fault.

I am sorry that we have been unable to resolve this in the way that you would have liked. If you do experience the same issue in the near future it may be worth getting a recording of the fault so that we can pass this onto the team if they are unable to replicate the fault it will make it easier to write the product off if they have visual proof.

All the best,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

Hi Paul, I see why they declined the write-off, however they don't seem to understand that the problem is intermittent: it happens randomly. When it does happen, the problem continues and the PC has to be returned. Also, the fact that the PC has now been in repair 5 times should indicate to the team that there is something wrong shouldn't it?

I was also told today in the PC World store that I also could not take up any legal action against them by one of the staff - ridiculous in my view.

But I will do what you have advised me to and record the problem on the PC for visual evidence.

Also, can you tell me when I will receive the PC back again? That would be really helpful.

Thanks again for your help.

Yes rebel here it is:

PC purchased on the 16th of January 2010

Returned PC on same day, after taking it home and finding out it would not boot up.

Then,

The first repair on the 20th of October 2011

The next repair on the 15th of March 2012

We received the PC back on the 26th of March.

Next, the PC was collected form our home on the 19th of May 2012, and we got it back on the 26th

Then just three days later, the PC did the same thing with the problems, and we returned it again.

Hi megan

I'd write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they have let you down (you've got the history of faults/repairs) and what you want them to do:-

Send it to:-

Sebastian James, Chief Executive

Sebastian.James@dixons.co.uk

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

Sounds like a generic overheating issue or a intermittant ram fault to me. Both are things PCworld and indeed most PC repairers normally miss, as they can be very sporadic in nature.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thats why i mentioned intermittant problems. Not all heal or ram issues are glaringly obvious. Even under a stress test.

Ive had issues on various machines ive built and repaired for other people where ram doesnt cause a system shutdown or reboot unless something specifically calls a part of the RAM. You could run a full CPU/GPU burn in and not notice anything, but as soon as you use MS word... System shutdown.

In regards to overheating, it could be a faulty cpu, heatsink not sitting right, and the constant jostling of the system has knocked it. It could be the place where the owner had the computer stored when in use, such as a cupboard, or have the case right up against a wall, so no airflow can happen.

Remember, in a repair testing environment, they have ample space etc. However, due to it being a system shutdown, im curious why they dont seem to have checked Microsofts own error reporting system. Given all MS's faults with their OS's, that single program is a godsend for technicians to diagnose and repair faults easily. A tech could also use software such as Hiren Boot CD, which performs every test imaginable and tests every aspect of your system, and gives you readouts that would make bill gates cry.

As a repairer myself, im a fan of stripping down the entire system in situations like this, giving everything a thorough clean up and streamline, and rebuilding it, so i know exactly where the problem lies. It takes 30 mins to an hour at most and leaves very little else to check.

When repairing, they should also replace any suspect hardware with "fill-in" pieces to eliminate that particular piece of hardware as a potential source.

Unfortunatly with corporate repair companies, they prefer to take money and when repairing, run a couple of stress tests and say "sorry we couldnt find a fault".

Myself, i would never dream of doing that. It is a very VERY amateurish way of trying to find the source of a problem.

Edited by renegadeimp

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Overheating is very easy to diagnose. All you need to do is run GFX tests and 100% CPU programs. If it doesn't turn off after a few hours, it's not overheating. Not in normal conditions anyway. I've seen it where in the home, the computer isn't being allowed to cool correctly. Under test conditions it runs fine.

It could be RAM, not normal symptoms for faulty RAM, but I have seen it do this rarely.

I think DX (site mod) had a problem with some faulty RAM displaying similiar symptoms.

I use Speedfan which lets you keep an eye on CPU, HD and other temps. This can be used to see whether there are heat related faults, quite common with laptops and older PC's that are full of dust/gunk.

Andy

As for not being able to take legal action, complete rubbish. Anyone can start legal action, of coures they are implying that you wouldnt win, but I would of thought you stand a good chance, simply quoting that the goods are broken. (There is plenty of info. online about this).

It maybe worth following the Pre-Action Protocols listed here > http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct this is before any legal action and may let them know you are serious.

Andy

The unit was soak tested for 20 hours. Knowing what tests would be run, if it's running for 20 hours with no sign of symptoms, it's not overheating or unlikely to be a CPU fault. The RAM is tested in a RAMCHECK LX machine to check all the memory addresses. If there is no fault found, normal practice is to strip down machines (especially desktops knowing how dusty they get) and rebuild.

OP - when the fault occurs, does it do it continually for a while? HAs the store seen any of the symptoms? Like Paul said, best thing to do is record the symptoms at the time showing what is going on and then stick a copy of the video on the desktop screen.

Based upon experience and from employee's own words, the soak testing that PCworld does and actual correct soak testing are completely different.

I outlined the reasons previously, but lets not derail the topic further. It's not constructive to the OP's situation.