Halifax Pet Insurance Advice Please : (

alipacino
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have Halifax Pet Insurance Extra for my two cats. One cat has been diagnosed with asthma and is covered by the insurance. I rang them to confirm my insurance was being stopped as I had yet to receive a letter and was told they only inform you a few weeks prior to renewal (August in my case). My problem is I'm now worried about my other cat but am wary about taking him to vet with this policy still running in case he needs long term treatment and I'm unable to get cover when the time comes. Should I cancel his policy, take out a new one then take him to vet? I DO plan to start my battle with Halifax ASAP anyway but wanted to sort this out before writing to them etc. Any advice as to how to go about complaining about this travesty would be much appreciated too.

Hi and welcome to the CAG.

I am really sorry but I don't understand your post at all. (I have been know to miss the blatantly obvious so it's probably just me)

Are you saying that your policy is due for renewal in August and that you are afraid they won't renew it if you are claiming for one cat already?

Sorry, my fault for not being clearer. Halifax have recently announced they're cancelling all their pet insurance policies even though a lot of them are whole life policies and a lot of people rely on them to pay for expensive on-going medical treatment for their pets. This has featured before on this website and also on Watchdog a few weeks ago.

I would start looking for other quotes for insurance and then chase the halifax for compensation as you will no doubt have to pay more for pre existing condition.

In the meantime you are entitled to use the policy until it expires so if cat # 2 need treatment then go get it.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2106454/Pet-insurance-cancellation-Lloyds-Halifax-start-pay-compensation--all.html

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2099803/Pet-owners-urged-demand-compensation-Lloyds-Halifax-withdrew-covers.html

My problem is I'm now worried about my other cat but am wary about taking him to vet with this policy still running in case he needs long term treatment and I'm unable to get cover when the time comes. Should I cancel his policy, take out a new one then take him to vet? .
One problem with this is that you may not be able to claim on a new policy for a minimum period. You would need to check the T&C's first.

Hello there.

I think you may also be careful about pre-exising conditions, if your cat has one. A new insurer is unlikely to cover this.

My best, HB

Some won't but lots do but at greatly increased premiums.

This is why you need quotes now so you know how much compensation you want from them.

If there's nothing wrong with with cat #2 at the moment, get him/her covered elsewhere asap, and cancel that particular Halifax policy. It's not worth the risk!

Hope all works out OK for you.

Best wishes

Janie

Don't cancel the policy if the other cat's treatment is being paid from the same policy.