CAG Site upgrade - thread 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Glad to hear that you are now getting used to it, new things take a while to get accustomed to sometimes.

What is it you want to do that you are having difficulty with and someone will help you out.

Hi Kenny,

Thank you,

There wasn't anything in particular at the time, however, after having a call from Capita tonight, I have been looking for any threads about them but not finding the search facility as easy as it was.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I'm not the greatest user of CAG. I tend to stick to two main forums that I feel I can actively contribute to. Namely the Benefits Forum and the Bailiff Forum. This new version of software I'm finding very difficult to navigate and appreciate. The original links I had to CAG now just give a 404 error and I'm having to go 'the long way round' to get here. Also I can't even find the Bailiff Forum! To be honest, if this is progress then I think my days on CAG are done. Short but sweet. It's just way too complicated for me now. The 'old' software worked just fine.I knew where I was with it. If it ain't broke you shouldn't fix it!

To be fair, whilst typing this, I have made up my mind to leave CAG. Most of you won't know me and there'll be no loss there. However, I'll miss the Bailiff Forum and doing what little I can for people. However, the beauty of CAG is that there are many who will step up to the plate as we - the technophobes - step down.

Best wishes to the site and all who sail within her. For those who wish to stay in touch you'll know where to find me on Facebook.

Much love

Rae xxxxx

I may not know you, but I'll still miss your posts which I've always found to be informative and reassuring.

Hopefully, once things have settled down and the "glitches" have been sorted out you may change your mind.

If not best wishes for the future.

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

The reason for the upgrade is because the software that ran the threads before is not going to be supported much longer, and when support ends that includes security updates, so they have moved to the new software that is supported and will still receive updates for a long time to come (we hope :p).

That's all very well saying that now, but if the site team had taken the trouble to warn people in advance then any immediate concerns or threads could have been copied down without wasting a week trying to find everything, I guess that was too easy?

It's still cold, pale, making my eyes hurt to read for more than a few minutes and whilst I accept things need to be kept supported and up to date with modern technology, its the way it was done that people seem upset about as much as anything. People are dropping off like flies as we are seeing and every one that goes is a loss of knowledge, a valued loss of knowledge.

• Haha 1

andrew1

if the site team had taken the trouble to warn people in advance then any immediate concerns or threads could have been copied down without wasting a week trying to find everything, I guess that was too easy?

That's assuming the site team know in advance--the few posts that they've made about it suggest that they knew little about the changes much in advance.

But I might be wrong with that.

andrew1

That's assuming the site team know in advance--the few posts that they've made about it suggest that they knew little about the changes much in advance.

But I might be wrong with that.

The site team are great in the main, I was referring to those in the planning room further up the pecking order. No offence meant to those trojans who dedicate their time to keeping an eye on us lot! :p

• Haha 1

We all knew about the upgrade but we didn't appreciate the difficulties.

We are noting all of the problems referred to by Caggers but it will take some time to sort them all out.

still a few probs

latestscreen.jpg

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

That doesn't look good, Kip but it displays perfectly for me in IE and FF

that ie 7 same thing on 4 separate PC's all under XP pro

display @ 1650 x 1050 x2 dual head

other 3 pc the same display but single monitors and on laptop @ 1024 x 768

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

that ie 7 same thing on 4 separate PC's all under XP pro

display @ 1650 x 1050 x2 dual head

other 3 pc the same display but single monitors and on laptop @ 1024 x 768

You are using an older version of IE, try upgrading to IE 8.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Is there an option in admin to limit image width to, say, 540 px to prevent the pics breaking the design? Constantly having to scroll from left to right to read posts is very frustrating. Or workaround with a prominent notice in the image upload popup? :-)

Name of last user to post on subbed threads came back the other day, but has disappeared again.

However, my historic links seem to work now, which is absolutely brilliant.

I run forums, albeit much smaller than this, and especially when you've done loads of mods over the years prior to upgrade you don't always know how the upgrade will affect things.

I think Webbie has been extremely patient and responsive to our suggestions.

Elsa x

I have no display problems using XP on an old desktop or when using vista on w/screen lappy only occasional hiccups when webby starts 'tweaking' as others seem to find,but they soon return to 'normal'.

Smileys are small and it's hard to define the facial expressions though but that's of no great importance and no-one seems to have a signature any more.

I still have a couple of niggles, but as they're mainly visual tweak, they can wait.

I have my historic threads, I have "new posts", and I can use smilies and bold and stuff, it will do for now.

I really, really would like to see the "edit" button stay for more than 5 mns though. for starters, someone is going to have to re-do the Dummies Guide once things have settled down, and unless a team member is volunteering to do it (Maroon? :razz:), the 5 mns edit is going to make the job impossible. ;-)

You guys should see how it looks from my work! Webby and BF have identified the issue and I have to ask the nice IT people to change my permissions.

I've probably a better chance at winning the X Factor! I'll give it a go though.

It looks very swish from home though!

You guys should see how it looks from my work! Webby and BF have identified the issue and I have to ask the nice IT people to change my permissions.

I've probably a better chance at winning the X Factor! I'll give it a go though.

It looks very swish from home though!

Not sure what Simon Cowel will make of you but good luck anyway!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Am I just thick or what? No don't all rush to answer at once.

(1) I tried to start a new thread but do not seem to be able to. Dummies guide required please. I click start new thread then it goes to ....New thread..Bear Garden. I click on that and it just goes back to the bear garden page.

(2) How do you do a search for zero replies?

(3) Why can I not find my smilies?

The newbies seem to be posting ok it is just us oldies that are struggling old dog, new tricks spring to mind

cyber I would not use IE8 if you paid me - with IE7 I have control not bill gates ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

cyber I would not use IE8 if you paid me - with IE7 I have control not bill gates ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol

IE is ****e, allegedly. I use FF :D

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

It`s worse than hard work looking for things where does one find the posts they have made can`t find anything it is very off putting it was hard enough navigating the old system this is much more harder very off putting for new posters I would imagine why wasn`t we warned and informed as to where to find everything now same with all this on advanced where`s that?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks