Problems with PC world laptop repair

rw1990
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there just looking for a little bit of advice ,

Bought an ACER 7535G from PC world in october last year have had lots of issues with it but just made do as i was busy with university and it was difficult to get to the shop at university without a car, just after my exams (luckily) my laptop crashed and never switched back on

so when i came back home for summer i took it to the store to repair at first they explained it would cost me 400 pound (without looking) even though the laptop had a years warranty and that i was better off buying a new laptop or speaking with the manufacturer, after speaking with various managers on the phone they took my laptop in for repair 2 weeks later

when they took in my laptop i explained i would be leaving to return to university for a year in miami in just over a month but they explained it will ber eady in 2 weeks as it just needs its hard drive replaced. 4 weeks later they returned my laptop and i as i turned it on today i was glad to see it was working fine and i copied my university work and all my programs needed for uni. after doing all this i noticed that i only had 40gb free on my hard drive and in fact the laptop now had a hardrive size of 150gb when originally i paid for a laptop with a hard drive with 500 gb , this smaller one now is of no use to me once my second year is underway.

so just to some up i was wondering if they were allowed to replace my hard drive with a cheaper and smaller one despite paying 600 for my laptop and also now i am due to leave for miami in a weeks time, and another repair can take a month, is there anything i can do about this or isit my problem??? :/

and sorryyy to have rambled on haha

rhys

I would say you've been ripped off. they can't fit a lower spec HDD they have too fit one of the same size or greater.

That's like taking your rolls royce in for repair - oh sorry we don't have the spares, but here you can have this mini instead.

I would suggest going back to the store, insist that you want the correct size hdd fitted. it doesn't take weeks to do that. all they need to do is swap the hdd over and ghost the old hdd to the new hdd inside the laptop and bobs your uncle job done. should take no more than an hour give or take.

I would insist on talking to the manager.

Take all the documents that came with the laptop to prove the size of hhd that would have come with that machine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks ill pop down tomoro , when i rang em to explain sounded like they were trying to fob me off but when im there in person hopefully they will be a bit more helpful

thanks again

and i hope you didn't pay for this repair

you are covered under SOGA

we have PCworld onboard cag so give us a shout if need be we'll pull their string.

your end result should be a 500Gb drive fitted and your data transfered over FOC

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi you may need to check your laptop again and find out if the drive is actually 150 gb.They may have just used their own ghosting software to save the information which could only save part of your hd.the other space may be there but in an unacceable partition.Its kind of technical but worth while checking.

good point

look in the bios

or under disk management of right click my computer manage option

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

was going to say check disk management.

ive noticed a couple of acers playing up with partitions lately

and p.s. they arnt ghosted they should be recovered using acer disks, there is no facility to ghost images in the workshop

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

thanks iccarrus already checked disk management and the disk drive was less than it should of been

anywayy took it in today and spent half an hour fighting the case with a manager and was finally taken in , and they are doing it in store and shall be ready to collect wednesday which is good news :)

just hope thats the end of it, put me off buying with pc world but i suppose all shops will be the same ..

thanks for ur help guys

they're doing it instore??? they have no facility to change drive instore!!

or at least no spares

by now its on its way to newark

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

They done the hard drive installation in store and was ready for pick up in two days which was suprisingly efficient, despite the fact they failed to put all the stuff from the other hard drive on the new hard drive as the advised they would.

Also only had the laptop on for two hours and now there are lines going down the screenn!! ahhh wish they gave me a completely new one :/ but anyway off to miami monday, have to make do .

Thanks again for the advise guys!

Were these lines on the screen when you put it in for repair.

did they appear when you picked it up the first time.

if not, then they may have damaged your screen or there is a cable loose inside.

you really need to get it sorted as the warranty runs out soon and you may find them hard to oblige after then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]