Amazon - VAT charges after order been placed.

Allwood
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner order some things from Amazon, in the initail order before pressing the button 'place the order' there was not VAT. After placing the order about 15 minutes later there when checking confirmation of order there was VAT on both orders.

She immediately when back into her account and tried to cancelled but amazingly one of the orders stated to process of despacting and on the other one there was no cancallation tap next to neaher of the order. She then had to go into contacts and sent an email.

This morning she received an email back saying only one order had been cancelled.

Can Amazon do this with their order that is not saying up front what is being charged for orders.

My partner order some things from Amazon, in the initail order before pressing the button 'place the order' there was not VAT. After placing the order about 15 minutes later there when checking confirmation of order there was VAT on both orders.

She immediately when back into her account and tried to cancelled but amazingly one of the orders stated to process of despacting and on the other one there was no cancallation tap next to neaher of the order. She then had to go into contacts and sent an email.

This morning she received an email back saying only one order had been cancelled.

Can Amazon do this with their order that is not saying up front what is being charged for orders.

Is this the UK site ?. Ive never noticed this.

Don't panic, in the whole Amazon are fairly resonable,

Have a read Buying goods - your rights

It might just be a clitch in the system, but you can cancel the purchases, I would send everything in writing so there is a record of your request. It might also be worth sticking in a complaint to Amazon explaining lack of notification of VAT.

Edited by rebel11

I will have to check this again to see if the order included VAT in the first instance and they put it seperatly when I got the bill via email. Will check it again and advise.

Edited by Allwood

Is Amazon one of the (many) Guernsey/Jersey based VAT-free retailers ?

That maybe correct but I feel they should have shown up the VAT on the order before I clicked the order.

I will watched out for this the next time and take a screen shot before I press the order button.:rolleyes:

That maybe correct but I feel they should have shown up the VAT on the order before I clicked the order.

I will watched out for this the next time and take a screen shot before I press the order button.:rolleyes:

But surely if thats the case then there is NO VAT to be added !..or maybe not..

This site explains the (somewhat confusing) situation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=502576

• 1 year later...

I also had this problem when ordering some CD’s. I thought a so-called reputable company like Amazon would not be so underhand. The proper price should be displayed before you add items to your basket; this reeks of the underhand tactics that are being deployed by airlines on the web.

I shall be contacting trading standards and even more uncomfortable for them Watchdog when it comes back on air in the New Year. Maybe everybody else who has suffered this problem should do the same; it is amazing what a bit of bad publicity on the TV will do to change a businesses attitude towards its customers.

This order was not even for me it was for friends. I have now got to explain to them how they have been conned and they could have had these CD’s cheaper from another dealer on Amazon.

Very odd..Well sometimes companies do showmpricers before VAT, because that is THIER price and the VAT of course just goes off to the governments coffers, Ive bought on Mazon and cant recall there being a price before VAT, I always thought it was included, anyone looked recently ?. Im aware of the law will be changing so that Guersney based companies do have to charge the full VAT rate.

Andy