Advice: Claiming benefits when owning property overseas.

Millennia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am seeking some advice on my situation. I moved overseas with my partner. Not long after he returned to the UK to work and I was left overseas in the property that I bought as our home. We have split and I returned to the UK, as with 2 small children I needed to be near family. I have claimed child tax credits and now I need to claim income support and housing benefit. The property overseas is now on the market for sale.

When I first asked about income support, some months ago, I was advised that capital over £16,000 would make me in eligible for benefits. But then they said that if I put the house on the market (evidence that I was disposing of the capitol) then I would be eligible. The same applied for housing benefit. I did not claim at that time, but now I need too as I have found us a home to rent. Does this policy still apply? that I am eligible if the property is for sale? I need to be sure as if its untrue, then how do I cope financially and provide a new home for my children?