SCS Sofa- what u see is not what you get

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I ordered a sofa from scs. We spent lots of time in the store choosing a sofa that was the right size, being 5'7" and with back problems I wanted something that I could sit comfortably on, so during the visit to the store to select a sofa in Nov 2009 I removed my coat, jumper and shoes, the idea to get the feel and position of how I would be using it at home.

After alot of deliberation we chose our Sofa and matching armchair (Laz-e-Boy Collorado with manual recliner). £2,400, which to me was alot of money as I was only intending to spend under half that, but it felt so good to sit on!

When they arrived (1st Feb 2010) later that evening when I got to relax I found the Sofa is not the same as the one in the store or the armchair, when I sit on it my feet dangle in the air like I was a 5 year old sitting in an adult seat. Certainly not what I experienced in store. Not what I ordered and not what I expected to have delivered.

I contacted the store who contacted the makers who sent someone out to fix 'flat cushions!!!!'

He saw my problem, sympathised and said the will send in a report.

Incidentally, initially I also wrote to ScS who did not have the courtesey to reply.

Anyway, I have written chapter and verse on a website dedicated to my saga at www.scs-complaint.co.uk

Reading the trials people have with faults on their ScS purchases I am not holding my breath and expect to have a battle on my hands.

As a note you are entitled to a FULL refund under the sales of goods act 1979 (As amended) where the goods are "not as described". Good luck and if you need some advise give us a shout

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Had my sofas from scs in 2004 leather corner group of two three seaters. They both arrived damaged, one to extent leather scratched and chipped where the two sofas were to link up and the other on the bottom in view. Manager came out in end as report differed from what repairer told me going to put and she had the cheak to put her arm round my shoulder as if cuddling a sad child and said well where the damage is you can hardly see it. I said what about it developing into a hole, its obviously not going to last long and was told well it should be okay. Bleeding cheek.

I ended up having one resown to cover damage and accepted a matching foot stool, poofe.

I do wonder wether they are capable of sending out a perfect suite as neighbours had a similar problem and were in their case fobbed off and ignored to such an extent when they were given no alternative but to march to store on a busy day to rant their case and politely insist something was done, one of their toddlers accidently peed on one of their dispaly sofas and they were not too upset at that.:p

I dont think they would ignore my neighbours again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today 8th March a letter from scs saying there is nothing wrong(!!) with the sofa and they are doing nothing, plus they sent a care leafflet (as if that will make my legs reach the floor!).

I am writing back telling them the sales of goods act (ie not as desciribed) and also a letter from the one-show web site about the sales of goods act and demanding a refund), we wait to see what happens.

looks like it will be small claims court and Watchdog.

As a matter of fact it is unusual that cases like this ever actually get to court hearing. The loser settles as soon as he realises that it is serious and the loss is all but inevitable. How then to achieve that end?

As often as not a subtle hint is much more effective than a direct threat.

You could ask whoever is dealing with this if they intend to represent themselves in the event of legal action, or do they please have a solicitor to address the papers to.

Another useful gambit, is to ask, in a friendly fashion, if they were ever yet taken to court or would it be the first occasion.

Put it as if the demand for a full refund is an offer that you make to them, the easier option, immediately available without the extra complication of the court costs to pay. Confidence makes the difference.

:cool:

When you say that the Sofa is not the same as the one in the store, do you have the evidence to prove it, with regard to the one in the store?

The rules of evidence are strict. The case you put has to be set out well before they "see you in court".

:cool:

In trying to get support on this I have emailed the BBCs one show 'Dom' now if enugh people all complain they may be more interested in running a story. Then maybe we can all benefit. The place to put your woes is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow/getinvolved/form.shtml

It is remarkable, if a store delivers a particular sofa, if there is not a reasonable accurate description available somewhere, of the sofa thus delivered. It should usually be a simple matter of comparing the goods delivered with a given description, etcetera., so I am trying to understand what it is that makes the supplier so sure of himself.

This is speculative, but if the supplier comes up with a proof of a good description, insisting that this was available, so the buyer should have been aware of it, what is the proof of the false description?

:???:

Perplexity; yup, there is my problem, any court will only have my word that what I saw, tested and agreed to buy is actually different from what I had delivered. That is, it is only my word that I did indeed take alot of time and trouble to ensure that what has happened did not happen because of any fault of mine.

I suppose I should have taken an independant witness who could have confirmed what happened in the store at time of purchase, but how many people do that when shopping, ummm.... none would be my guess.

What's the story then; are you saying that this was some sort of conjuring trick, showing one thing to get the customer to sign on the dotted line for a different item while the eye was off the ball?

If this is about deliberately crooked practice, civil action is not so appropriate. We know that this sort of thing does happen, but you don't kill a shark by calling it a shark.

The first thing that I'd be thinking about is who else it has happened to. If you could show that you were not the only one, that's a lot of weight in terms of credibility. If you seem to be the only one, the store would get the benefit of the doubt, if all else appears to be in order.

:mad:

Perplexity; yup, there is my problem, any court will only have my word that what I saw, tested and agreed to buy is actually different from what I had delivered. That is, it is only my word that I did indeed take alot of time and trouble to ensure that what has happened did not happen because of any fault of mine.

I suppose I should have taken an independant witness who could have confirmed what happened in the store at time of purchase, but how many people do that when shopping, ummm.... none would be my guess.

Is there any chance that the original is still in the shop and you take the digi camera to the shop and shoot yourself in the original and then duplicate it with the one delivered.

Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

correct me if im wrong but... you tested the "automatic" version in store but bought the "manual reclining" version?

if thats the case, i dont see how you have a leg to stand on, since they are clearly two different products, each with their own price and spec.

i would argue if thats the case, the owness was upon you to ASK the store if there were any differences between the models, as im guessing the automatic version is HIGHER from the floor to accomdate the motor unit inside!

Naxxas

Yes we tested the automatic one, but the first one we tested and decided upon was a manual recliner.

Actually, ScS states the electric version is smaller,so your guess is wrong!

ScS have just phoned me further to my court action and have staed that the armchair we have should be bigger than the sofa! which it is not (go figure).

• 5 weeks later...

It is now June and after filing a small claims court action ScS are now in contact again. This time they sent out one of their own reps to measure the sofa and listen to my complaint, that was almost 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting to hear what they propose. I guess this is normal ScS speed.

But the court action proceeds.

UnhappySCScustomer,

Its seems you are not alone in the battle against this cowboy outfit that is SCS.

I have just had an upholsterer round my house telling me everything is fine with the sofa.

We bought our sofa in November delivered in December. After a few days the sofa was nowhere near as comfortable as the showroom. As my girlfriend and I both work away from home quite a lot and as such have not sat on the sofa continuously day in day out. All in all we have sat on it roughly for 2 months even though the sofa is roughly 6 months old now.

So we revisited the shop and managed to see the same display model and surprise surprise it is a lot firmer than what we have.

The sofa cushions & springs we have are in my opinion sub standard in relation to how much we payed for the sofa - 1000 pounds. The SCS biased upholsterer reckoned that cushions that are like pancakes are more than acceptable after 6 months. Now as much as i wanted to give him a slap i explained that I didn't appreciate paying that amount of money and getting sub standard goods. In the same time i also paid 1000 pounds for my living room carpet and to 6 mths on is as good as it was on day 1. I can understand the bloke doing his job. He observed that there was no damage or broken springs etc and that is what was written on his report but he did have an annoying grovelling attitude in trying to justify his decision.

So he has just went on his merry way to report back that all is well. Come monday i am ringing SCS (isnt it convienient that you have to ring the premium number for the aftersales as the shop dont take nothing to do with you after they have sold you a crap sofa?)

I will be seeking a full refund as the goods have been sold and they are not of satisfactory quality.

My last set of sofas 2x2 seaters where half the price 6 years ago in Germany and to this day are still as comfortable as ever. My partners dad took them f us and Im regretting getting rid of them.

If SCS think that for a 1000 pounds they can sell me dog pooh then they have got another thing coming. I will measure up my sofa tonight of every exact measurement and compare in store tomorrow and then i will have another case for refund. Im sure that the sofa is a lot lower than the instore version.

This company is a joke and they need bringing into line by trading standards.

Ill keep you posted. Sorry if i hijacked your thread but i am so angry!!!!!

Regards

Stu

Hi Stuartboy

Sounds like you are in much the similar situation to me, nothing actually broken, just not what you brought (ie store model different) to what you have delivered). As my post above said (and my anti-ScS website) they only took interest when court action was started.

It is now 3 weeks since the last visit from them and I have heard nothing, even though they said they would contact me sometime last week, typical of their service.Good luck.

Can I add you story to my web site?

Hi unhappy customer,

Cheers for the reply and its a sad state of affairs when a company has to be forced into court action to rectify any problems. If there one thing in this world that gets me riled is getting ripped off and receiving poor quality. Unfortunately its frustrating that i cant deal with this problem in a way that would see a few SCS members of staff getting a good slap.

We will keep you posted on events and you are more than welcome to use the story for your website. The more stories and publicity against this cowboy outfit the better. Onwards and upwards!! Viva la revolution!

Regards

Stu

Suartboy

I would also suggest you get Trading Standards involved, as any complaint goes through to the trading standards office local to ScS. I understand they have quite a few complaints and yours will add to the evidence of ScS's shoddy goods and poor after-sales service.

UnhappySCS,

Cheers for that bit of advice. I will do. I am just measuring up the sofa now and goig to the shop this morning. Really not in the mood for idiots this morning so just hope i can hold my tongue long enough to compare the shop model and then leave quietly with the evidence!!!!

Thanks again

Stu

Agree you should inform TS. They can't take any action for you as an individual, though will advise on the way to go, but they do keep a database and when the complaints reach a certain level, then they will take action.

While I can understand the first complaint to a company, unless really obvious, being poo pood to one side as they don't want their profits to suffer, when a customer makes a second complaint, it should be fully investigated and the appropriate action taken, not a continual denial that here isn't justification for the complaint.

It's only because of the actions of companies like this that have brought about the necessity of and continual requirement for a revision of soga.

Hi unhappy SCs customers, these companies' lack of customer care is depressing isen't it. The only thing I would add is take a sneaky pic of their sofa in store and yours as well. About 7 years ago we had a problem with Harveys, the top of the dining table peeled off and they delivered the wrong colour cushioned chairs. Technician agreed manufacturing fault. Like you spent ages complaining on the 'phone and got the immortal advice that "all our managers are out on the road". Took them to the small claims court with photographic evidence, they didn't turn up, judgement against them, had to send the bailiffs into the store but got the money! I also complained to TS and told them the outcome at the end. There are still a few Caggers turning up with similar complaints about that company. Good Luck!:)

miss muppet

I do have photo evidence of the one in store, simply went in with my daughter and started sitting on sofa's then asked the only assistant (who was busy serving) if I could take a picture of the sofa, he said yes. He did not 'know me from adam' which helped. But I have the evidence if needed.