Vampiress v Natwest

bram stoker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Day one - yesterday.

I telephoned John at the Natwest call centre 0845 7888444. gave my account and sort code details, swam through passport control, and requested a list of my account transaction over the last six years. I was told no problem but there would be a charge of £5. I said fine and was told they would be with me within 6-10 working days. That will be 5 April 2006.

Updates to follow.

[

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23/03/2006 £5 taken from my bank account. Looking forward to receiving my post.

27/03/06 Received statements in a torn envelope held together with an elastic band. So much for security. Will contact the bank shortly on this matter but unsure yet of what to say. Will post a question in the general forum on this matter.

27/03/06 5.30pm I telephoned Natwest (number as previous posting) and mentioned my upset at the condition of the packaging used to send me my statements. I was transferred to customer services, and expressed my upset again.

The envelope was obviously designed to hold a large number of A4 documents and their statements are half the size. No tape had been applied to securely hold the items in place. Movement of the statements had caused the envelope to tear as it had been thown about in transit. They had not been packaged to travel the journey in my opinion. I pointed out that if Royal Mail had torn the envelope they would have put a sticker on the package stating the fact that the package had been torn whilst in their posession as I'm sure they do. Therefore it must have happened at their end because "it wasn't me!"

Chris Johnson would not accept responsibility for Natwest's incompetency in their abilities for secure mailing. I told him I'd only received statments from October 2002 and it appeared to me that the statements from March 2000 to October 2002 could be anywhere between Poulton-le-Fylde (my branch) and Kingston-upon-Thames, which I considered a big security issue. Chris seemed to think the missing statments may not have been sent in the package at all and would look into that matter and call me back within 48 hours. He mentioned that at around October 2002 Natwest were undergoing a transition period which he called "integration" and would probably have had to order the statements in 2 lots.

I think he assumed I was ignorant and was trying to baffle me with science. If any of you out there spot my missing statements please let me know.

He also gave me his number 0845 6000675 which I believe to be customer services. If I receive no response by 5.30pm 29/03/06 I shall call back.

[

hey - what a suprise! my two lots of statements (i have two accounts) BOTH came in torn brown envelopes too, my statements hanging out of the side. its a joke that quite frankly isn't funny.

on a different note has anyone else experienced receiving duplicate sheets in their statements? it seems each time i received a charge that printed that sheet twice - perhaps to deliberately confuse me? (which admittedly it did at first - thought i was due more than i am - ha ha!).

I want my money back!

28/3/06 Chris telephoned me at lunchtime whilst I was at work. He had details of the bank statement numbers that had been posted to me but no dates. I told him I would have to wait until I returned home to check if any had gone missing. He told me he would re-order the 03/00 to 10/02 statements for me anyway just in case. He also said he would call again at 5.25pm to find the outcome but never did.

At home I discovered none were missing (so all those of you between Lancashire and Surrey who are hunting can stop now thanks).

Will visitors here please view my post in general on postal security and read my next comments. (Give me a few minutes please folks).

Further updates to follow on my case in this thread subsequent to any developments or lack of them.

29/3/06 Unexpected!! Call from Chris. Apology for not getting back to me yesterday evening. When asked if all statements sent had been received i said yes. Chris told me he had re-ordered the other statements anyway, so I should get them in the next few days. Apologies for not being able to have them all in one batch.

Chris then proceeded to tell me that as I was unhappy with the condition of the way the statements had been despatched (for which he apologised) he'd raised an enquiry into the matter. I asked "who with?" and "I'd like to be informed of the outcome of any such enquiry". He told me he would be receiving details of the progress and outcome and would in turn keep me informed.

Chris once again apologised and I thanked him for his efforts.

[

30/03/06 Received missing bank statements. They were in a similar envelope to the first but survived the journey a little better. I also received an apology letter from the bank. Will post details of it when I get chance.

4/4/06 I've recieved confirmation that I have a parachute bank account, set up in place, ready to leap into if necessary. It's with First Direct. I'm not expecting any problems with Natwest though as I've very little to claim (details also to follow when I get chance).

[

10/04/2006 I have decided upon a course of action having done very little so far.

1. Go into Natwest branch with torn envelopes demanding the return of my £5 for the lack of security in the "service" provided. Do not leave until I get it, waving envelopes and telling all customers of the kind of service to expect, if necessary.

2. Start again. Request bank statements with correct DPA letter, stating manual intervention etc, back to the dawn of my account approx 24 years ago.

3. I've only £45 within the last six years, so, at the risk of losing that amount, I'm hoping to go down the route suggested by Bankfodder http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3598 (Not sure what he has in mind, but sure I'll find out).

[

Having been for a curry with Spiceskull last night, I'm now requesting my charges of £45 to be refunded to me, plus the £5 historic statement fee they charged me for a service that obviously wasn't one. This letter is going today.

Once I have my £50 back, I'll write a proper DPA letter for my info prior to the six years.

I know I'll probably get shot down for saying / writing this, but I like my bank, have been with them for 24 years and (with the £45 exception) have never had any problems with them. I think I'm a little nervous of falling out with them over one issue and losing the rest of the good service available to me.

I don't hate my bank and am not up for a big fight like a some you sound like you are, but am with you all on the cause to enforce banks to make fair charges. To me, forward action to change the charges is more important than reclaiming historic events. But then - I only have £45 to claim, I know.

[

Today I received a reply to my letter of 11 April requesting £45 + £5 noted in previous post. This was:

Dear XXXX

I refer to your letter of 11 April 2006 which I have received today.

Having only been at the branch a matter of weeks, I have no knowledge of the background to your request for a refund of fees incurred. It would be helpful if you could provide me with a list of dates on which these fees were charged so that I can look into the matter for you.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future. A stamped addressed envelope is attached for your response.

Yours sincerely,

Alan

Manager

My response which will be posted tomorrow is this....

Dear Mr Brindle

SORT CODE: XXXXXX

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXXX

My congratulations on your new appointment as Branch Manager. I wish you every success in your future career, especially at this exceptionally busy period; considering the recent OFT report and media pressure.

To assist you in my personal request contained in my letter of 11 April 2006 I attach the relevant photocopies of the statements sent to me by your Customer Care Team highlighting the charges to which I refer. I also attach a photocopy of the letter sent to me by Chris Johnson within the Customer Care Team highlighting the apology made to me regarding the first package I received. May I bring it to your attention that the second package was in much the same condition.

I hope we can bring this matter to a conclusion shortly before I need to take any further action. If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively within the time period given in my letter of 11 April 2006, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect as stated within that letter. Again, I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

Yours faithfully,

:rolleyes: I'm far too nice, but let's see. Watch this space. :rolleyes:

[

As I have to send my LBA letter tomorrow, I thought I'd call the bank and ask why they've done nothing yet.

I called the Action Line and was put through to Lisa at the Manchester lending centre. She had no knowledge of the letter I wrote to my branch and suggested I contact my manager direct at Poulton-le-Fylde branch 01253 893627.

I said I would. She asked why I was calling and I told her. I was informed that all calls relating to charges since the OFT report and in relation to Consumer acts etc etc were being handled by a different department - a department that I can't contact and that she would have to pass information through to.

I said I would talk to my manager tomorrow before I sent the letter and get back to her if I need to.

I then mentioned that the £5 charge for delivering my statements that I was claiming was a separate issue. I debated for a while about packaging until she eventually agreed to refund my £5.

Claiming for £45 is going to look pretty stupid going all the way to court. I'm prepared to do it but feel I might fall flat on my face with the arguments as I could barely get the words out on the phone today.

Any ideas to what I should say to my manager tomorrow when I call him? :?: I need a little help here please, I'm useless at arguing, but I really don't want to send that letter and would love to get it sorted tomorrow.

[

I would just send the letter - no point in an empty conversation that is not guaranteed to give a result. They should probably cough up immediately for a claim of only £45...8-)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Keep calm, have the points you need to talk about written down in front of you, and remember you're a respectable upper-middle-class lady, so if push comes to shove, start acting like Margot out of the good life... :)

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

Thanks 404. I'm in 2 minds now whether to phone or just send the letter. I might just send the letter to my bank manager and CC it to head office, customer services etc etc, so someone may question why my manager never responded to my first letter and get on his case for me - after all - it is only £45!!!

[

remember you're a respectable upper-middle-class lady, so if push comes to shove, start acting like Margot out of the good life... :)

Sorry - did I blink and miss something here? I am NOT changing my name to Gerry Leadbetter, not for no-one! :mad:

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Margot's hubby in The Good Life. Can't remember who played him.

Spice, I'm mildly scared by the fact that you know his surname...

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

I'm sad sad sad.

He was Paul Eddington - later played the Prime Minister in Yes Minister

The Good Life was set in Surbiton, which was where I lived until I located to Bran castle

Felicity Kendal - who played Barbara Good - was the first woman to be voted 'Rear Of The Year' (deservedly so)

Anything else anyone wants to know...?

Hey, the £5 I was told would be refunded hasn't gone into my account. How long will it take?

I'm not phoning, I'm just sending the letter, and I'm going to ask for the £5 again in case I've been lied to like at Tiscali.

All faith and trust has gone!

[

Give 'em hell...you know you want to!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks