Argos Card help

Edward72
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I am new to the forum. Seems like a heck of a lot of info to get through, so I will be as concise as possible - any advice will be gratefully appreiated.

Ok, I was self-employed and my business folded last week. I made a claim for JSA on monday. Anyway, the worry I have is that I have quite of debt on an argos card, roughly, £800 and my concern is in my current circumstances, I am not sure how I can meet this. In a worst case scenario, I'll have to pay £45 a month, but I don't think I can afford that... can anybody offer any solutions? Ideas?

Thanks.

Hello and Welcome,

How old is the card ?

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

Not a lot you can do then, I take it you don't have any charges you could reclaim.

You could always try sending on of the letters in this 'link'.............

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Regards.

Scott.

Hi, Edward.

I never said there was nothing you can do ;)

There's always something, but in your situation the only thing I can suggest is sending a letter asking your creditor to accept reduced payments for a while and to stop adding Interest ect to your account.

Explain your situation, and you never know what they might accept.

The last thing you want is a Default or similar, so trying to get them to accept some sort of deal whilst you get back on your feet seems to me your only option.

Maybe someone else will come along and suggest something else.

I'm not too clued up on what you can do whilst on JSA or similar, I've asked another Mod, ErikaPNP to see if she can help you some more.

Regards.

Scott.

Edited by maroondevo52

Hi Edward.

Maroondevo has asked me to look in on this thread in regard to benefits. In respect of JSA, what you receive will depend upon a number of factors. If you have paid enough class 1 National Insurance contributions in the tax years 06/07 and 07/08 you will qualify for contribution based JSA and receive receive £64.30 per week as a single claimant. If you are part of a couple, you will receive £100.95 per week.

If you have not paid the required amount of national insurance contributions, your JSA claim will be income based and though the weekly amounts are still £64.30 single person and £100.95 for a couple, this can be affected by your household income, and capital. Any income a partner earns will affect the amount you receive. If you have a partner and she/he works over 24 hours per week, you will normally not qualify for income based JSA. If you have savings over £16000.00 you will not qualify. If you have savings between £6000.00 and £16000.00, your benefit will be reduced £1 per week for every £250.00 between the figures of £6000.00 and £16000.00. Savings under £6000.00 are disregarded.

If you were receiving working tax credit and/or child tax credit, you will need to contact tax credits on 0845 300 3900 so they can amend your claim accordingly.

Also, submit a claim for Council Tax Benefit. If you rent from the council, you should also claim Housing Benefit, or if you rent privately you should claim Local Housing Allowance. If your home is on a mortgage there is no assistance available from the government until you have been receiving an income based benefit for 13 weeks, and then they can only help with the interest, not the capital; so in that case check any insurance policy you have with the mortgage provider.

In regard to the store card - when you are in receipt of benefit, they do have to take that into account, because the government set minimum amounts that people can live on. This can vary according to individual circumstances.

There are organisations that can help you in regard to your debts when you are on benefit, most local authorities run money advice services (for those who do not, there is CAB). They will sit down with you and work out a debt management plan which works in accordance with the minimum amount the government set for you to live on. They can also write to creditors on your behalf, or assist you with writing the letters yourself, placing key phrases in them in regard to your benefit situation and the law. It is highly likely you will be advised to offer a "token" payment to your creditors of between £1.00 to £20.00 per month whilst benefit is your only source of income.

At the very worst, what would happen is your creditors become nasty, forward the debt to a Debt collection agency if you fail to pay, who MAY in turn take you to court, whereby if benefit is your only income, no court in the land will rule a repayable sum that would leave you at grave financial detriment.

When you are on income based benefits only, the money advice service is invaluable in helping people with their debts and dealing with creditors. Pop down to your local council to find the money advice service or CAB.

Best wishes

Erika

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 1 month later...

Hi Erika,

Thank you for the your response - I have been offline for various reasons and only just got the chance to get back on-line. My situation hasn't changed - I am receiving 64.30 for benefits, my situation hasn't really altered and I have yet to take any action. I am not sure yet where to turn, but I will certainly visit the CBA.

When you visit the CAB or Welfare Rights, ask them for a "benefits health check". This is where they will look at your situation fully to identify if there may be benefits you are entitled to that you have not yet claimed.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 4 years later...
Hello and Welcome,

How old is the card ?

Regards.

Scott.

Hi There,

I have an Argos Card where the agreement was taken out in 2001. Unfortunately, I missed my BNPL deadline by 2 days and they now continue to charge interest and missed penalty payments. So despite the fact that the goods have been paid for in full, I now owe an astonishing £82 in interest and charges which I won't pay. I have written to them asking them to squash these charges but they have not replied to my letter at all

I was particularly interested to see your reply regarding the age of the card so any advice is much appreciated. I have already written to them asking to supply me with an original copy of the agreement so any ideas?