Has your bank told you that they don't keep statements beyond a certain time?

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gordons Barking

Recently in response to a PPI claim I got them to fall into the trap by not mentioning that I had taken out a mortgage with them at the same time as taking out the PPI. I had previously sent out and received a SAR, which did not have any reference to the mortgage account although having some letters connected with the PPI. Having done my homework I knew how strong my claim would be having taken the loan out at the same time as the PPI and so it seems does Abbey. Because their final response featured the statement,'we have no knowledge of you holding a mortgage with us' - I do though bank statements and an Abbey headed letter from 2002. I will post up the final response later.

Guest Gordons Barking
Recently in response to a PPI claim I got them to fall into the trap by not mentioning that I had taken out a mortgage with them at the same time as taking out the PPI. I had previously sent out and received a SAR, which did not have any reference to the mortgage account although having some letters connected with the PPI. Having done my homework I knew how strong my claim would be having taken the loan out at the same time as the PPI and so it seems does Abbey. Because their final response featured the statement,'we have no knowledge of you holding a mortgage with us' - I do though bank statements and an Abbey headed letter from 2002. I will post up the final response later.

Found the original documentation, which I can send to BF direct if he wants it it would identify me by specific content so I will not post it up but: ~'contacted mortgage dept no record of a mortgage with abbey related to your mortgage'. I have original bank statements from opening the account, which from my SAR they probably assumed I did not have... I also have letter headed Abbey documentation relating to the mortgage account and letters from my lawyer of the time confirming the mortgage was in place before exchanging contracts. In another section of the final letter it refers to telephone records from 2000 discussing the PPI, which i also have from the SAR. This shows they do keep records more than 6 years but only when it suits them.

Edited by Gordons Barking

Hi guys

I sent a SAR to the original lender of a CC that cabot are dealing with that being Monument CC and recieved a responce from Barclycard, I recieved a small list of charges that went back only six years, I now have a hearing on the 16th march for noncompliance under the dataprotection act in Burnley County Court and the defence states that barclaycard have fullfiled their obligation by holding my account info for six years and as the information I request is past that date they no longer hold this info.

barclaycard defence : http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/166141-providian-then-monument-then-2.html

Hadituptohere

I'm far from an expert, but learning all the time!!!!!

If i've been at all helpful please click my star.

Hadituptohere OH V Capital One, **WON**

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

We'd still very much like to get the information asked for in the first post to this thread please.

There could be some very important issues here.

MBNA

27th August 2008 and 15th October 2008

I will just go and scan the letters and pop them on here for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Not only statements what about taped telephone conversations

They don't have to be kept for 6 years

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Clicking on the thumbnails will make them larger

th_img002.jpg

th_img003.jpg

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi there

I have a Barclaycard Visa going back to about 1985ish. They have not responded to my CCA request received by them on the 30th Jan. I have most statments going back to 2003 which have a PPI payment on so presumably this goes back to when I opened the account, some 18years. I was only about 18 when I opened the account and had no idea about what PPI was - I was even made redundant in 2000 and did not claim as I did not know what PPI was until recently.

What I really want to know before I SAR them is will I be able to claim back beyond the 6 years, the last six years (until last couple of months) have been clear of any charges. But, going back more than six years including PPI there will obviously be quite alot.

I intend to send a default letter to them anyway.

Hi there

I have a Barclaycard Visa going back to about 1985ish. They have not responded to my CCA request received by them on the 30th Jan. I have most statments going back to 2003 which have a PPI payment on so presumably this goes back to when I opened the account, some 18years. I was only about 18 when I opened the account and had no idea about what PPI was - I was even made redundant in 2000 and did not claim as I did not know what PPI was until recently.

What I really want to know before I SAR them is will I be able to claim back beyond the 6 years, the last six years (until last couple of months) have been clear of any charges. But, going back more than six years including PPI there will obviously be quite alot.

I intend to send a default letter to them anyway.

LadyK, I think this is probably the wrong thread for your post. Have you started your own thread regarding this:)

BCOBS

I was told by the Co-op I could have any statement from when our joint account was opened (1980ish) if I paid for them !

yes you can - that's what the £10 fee in your SARs is for AND THEY KNOW IT!

Sorry, I didn't want to highjack thread, but as thread was asking whether CCC were agreeing to send older statements, I just wondered if they were allowed to refuse.

I accept, my question as to whether I could claim back bank charges and PPI beyond 6 years should be posted elsewhere.

Thank you for your replies.

Sorry, I didn't want to highjack thread, but as thread was asking whether CCC were agreeing to send older statements, I just wondered if they were allowed to refuse.

I accept, my question as to whether I could claim back bank charges and PPI beyond 6 years should be posted elsewhere.

Thank you for your replies.

Sorry, please accept my apologies. I wasnt accusing you of hijacking. Just suggesting that you might receive more detailed assistance if you were to start your own thread. In answer to your question re the statements. I believe Bank Fodder really only wants copies of letters where a company has in fact refused to supply the statements prior to 6 years.

It is the general consensus of opinion that they should be able to provide this information via an SAR.

BCOBS

I was told by A+L last year while doing research for a court date that they dont hold data for more than 6 years.Also Halifax told me the same but only a few months later i opened a current account and she gave me a list of DDs on my banking history with them, which is 20 odd years, and on there were things i had with them spanning more than 6 years i can tell you but i havent got anything in writing.

I thought the Microfiche argument was solved by the ICO a long time ago?

It was, the link below contains the ICO's response for one Cager re b/card and microfiche.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/50148-barclaycard-microfiche-they-wrong.html

BCOBS

I used to work for Barclays (left in 2002). We were told that they only kept paper records for 6yrs (as this was the legal requirement) and recorded phonecalls for 4 yrs (although this may only be for the barclaycall function which is branch and telephone banking). Not sure if this is completely accurate but was what we were told during training.

It was, the link below contains the ICO's response for one Cager re b/card and microfiche.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/50148-barclaycard-microfiche-they-wrong.html

So why are they still quoting that it ISN'T?

Where is this on the ICO website - I want to throw it back in BCs face

In the order the question was asked BF;

Abbey,

6 years

June 2007

and yes, I have my original letter requesting pre 6 years and although slightly chewed having been rescued from the pup, I have their response and will post here or send to you, whichever you prefer.

I required statements for another matter unrelated to Bank Charges so called my Banks.

Bank of Scotland in light of the Bank charges issue provided me 7 years of statements for free with a fee levied on further historic statements which I declined.

Bank of Scotland VISA said they capped any request for statements at £100 so I requested (and received) 10 years of statements and they didn't charge me :)

Royal Bank of Scotland JERSEY refused point blank to surrender more than 6 years statements even for a fee. Denied they held statements longer than 6 years. Informed me I did not require more than 6 years worth (Note: the request for statements was unrelated to Bank Charges). Informed me they were oblidged to retain only 6 years of statements. Let it slip several times that if forced to release further historic statements by say a Government body that they would. I requested on numerous occassions (phone and by Letter) they furnish me with MY statements or confirm in writing they did not hold additional statements. They refused to put anything in writing.

Mid 2007

I required statements for another matter unrelated to Bank Charges so called my Banks.

Bank of Scotland in light of the Bank charges issue provided me 7 years of statements for free with a fee levied on further historic statements which I declined.

Bank of Scotland VISA said they capped any request for statements at £100 so I requested (and received) 10 years of statements and they didn't charge me :)

Royal Bank of Scotland JERSEY refused point blank to surrender more than 6 years statements even for a fee. Denied they held statements longer than 6 years. Informed me I did not require more than 6 years worth (Note: the request for statements was unrelated to Bank Charges). Informed me they were oblidged to retain only 6 years of statements. Let it slip several times that if forced to release further historic statements by say a Government body that they would. I requested on numerous occassions (phone and by Letter) they furnish me with MY statements or confirm in writing they did not hold additional statements. They refused to put anything in writing.

Mid 2007

If you requested all information/statements held on you by doing an SAR, they can't say they'll withhold statements, or cap them at £100. You pay £10 and get everything they have, that's how it works. Cheeky.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.