Bookie and DLA... ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5274 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Reply received today, no change in decision. There's a surprise. :-(

Tribunal, here we go, starting from a low point, I know it is going to be VERY difficult to get them to accept that autism justifies a higher rate of mobility, and i know it is going to very tough on me to do this appeal, but needs must.

Morale very low tonight. :-(

Sorry hun, i take it you have supporting letters from docs and social workers etc

Silly me of course you have :)

I QUESTION THEREFORE I AM!! [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

I have been smoke-free for 4yrs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry hun, i take it you have supporting letters from docs and social workers etc

Silly me of course you have :)

No, I don't. T's AS doesn't require ongoing medical care, and apart from the autism, he is very healthy (in fact, his condition mean that he has a very high threshold pain so seldom needs medical attention), and as for social workers, I firmly believe that the best way to get on in life is to have nothing to do with them.

I have however one good thing going, which was worrying me: one of the criteria is the brain damage part, and the DWP's own dr accepts that in the submission, so that's one of the big obstacles out of the way.

Now what I need to do is build a case of testimonies from people, professional and friends to testify what his AS means in real terms of care and mobility.

What would be ideal is if T could go into meltdown and have someone film it whilst he's being handled, and can anyone imagine how that could happen? Yeah right. I do have some pics of him rolled into a ball by the car and that will go in, but it's difficult...

Thanks for the support, guys, I feel a bit better today now I have started working on the file and developing a plan of action. :-)

Hi bookworm I'm a 'newbie' have been reading thread with interest, shouldn't be down to luck but I wish you it anyway :). It's a sod when feel like you've got to film your kids just some bureaurocrat can see what you have to deal with.

Best wishes

• Haha 1

No, I don't. T's AS doesn't require ongoing medical care, and apart from the autism, he is very healthy (in fact, his condition mean that he has a very high threshold pain so seldom needs medical attention), and as for social workers, I firmly believe that the best way to get on in life is to have nothing to do with them.

I know he's well in himself but i was told that a supporting letter from your GP outlining the difficulties he has would only help your case

Just a thought, trying to help :-(

• Haha 1

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

Still not got the hang of quoting, huh? :-D

I understand what you are saying, but I truly don't think the GP would be any help, the surgery changed contracts recently, all the GPs which saw the kids from infancy are gone, and none of the new ones has ever met T yet. The paediatrician discharged him back to GP a couple of yrs back.

Even the NAS helpsheets are saying that the GPs might not be much help to prove a case to the narrow confines of case law and that family and friends may be more useful. If ever there was need to confirm how isolated we are... :-(

Thanks anyway, all thoughts and comments are always welcome even if they don't lead anywhere, you never know which one will fire up a good result! :-)

Still not got the hang of quoting, huh? :-D

Thanks anyway, all thoughts and comments are always welcome even if they don't lead anywhere, you never know which one will fire up a good result! :-)

Yes i have actually, it's just i find it easier to cut and paste the snippet i want than it is to quote and delete loads i dont want :)

YW btw

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got letter from tribunal, I've ticked the box to say that if they get a cancellation, I am willing to forgo the minimum advance warning, you never know, it might help getting a tribunal date this side of Christmas. Getting together my testimonies etc and thinking on my strategy. DS's behaviour's is deteriorating rapidly at the moment and I keep on wishing they could see him then and then tell me that he doesn't justify the higher rate. :mad:

Hi Bookie,

My friends have an autistic child ,they took him to the tribunal and let him run riot,they didnt attempt to control him at all,when the tribunal saw his behaviour they awarded high rate DLA,

Wobbly

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

Hi.

I have just read your threat and wanted to add my support to you.

My son is autistic and is now 21yrs old. When he was 16yrs old I applied and got DLA care and mobility both high rate on a life award. I didnt even have to appeal they granted it straight off.

You have probably already read this but:-

To get the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, your disability must be severe enough for you to have any of the following walking difficulties, even when wearing or using an aid or equipment you normally use:

• you are unable or virtually unable to walk, or you have no feet or legs
  • you are assessed to be both 100% disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80% disabled because of deafness and you need someone with you when you are out of doors
  • you are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualify for the highest rate of care component
  • the effort of walking could threaten your life or seriously affect your health
  • you need guidance or supervision from another person when walking out of doors in unfamiliar places

There are two rates of the mobility component depending on how your disability affects you:

• the lower rate, if you need guidance or supervision out of doors
  • the higher rate, if you have any of the other, more severe, walking difficulties

You may be entitled to only the care component or only the mobility component, or you may be entitled to both.

Got my fingers crossed for you

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thats great news :eek:

Good luck hun x

• 2 weeks later...

6 days to go and quietly pooing myself. :-(

Chap from Mencap is coming today to go over my bundle and point out glaring ommissions, missed tricks etc...

Friend of mine read it yesterday and said that the amount of testimonies makes it look overwhelming and that if I don't win, no-one can. :-) Well yeah, but SHE lives with it too, she knows what it's like, convincing the panel will be another thing altogether. :-(

Living on my nerves right now. Anyone looking at me the wrong way is likely to get their heads bitten off. And to top it all, T. won't wear his fleece anymore because a kid coughed on it the other day and some phlegm got on it. Despite having washing twice, he just won't touch it anymore. Oh, and he's got a bald patch now where he has been pulling his hair out. *sigh*

Signed: woman on the edge of yet another nervous breakdown. Thank goodness for Prozac, is all I can say. :oops:

Aaaaand *breathe*. Dropped my bundle to the tribunal earlier on, nothing else I can do now but wait for Wednesday. :oops:

I hadn't realised how much this had been weighing on me until today when we had the end of year assembly, and T. wouldn't come into the room (asemblies have always been a major major sensory issue). As the other kids swayed and moved their arms (badly), I thought: "is this is? This is what we can look forward for the rest of our lives? He is 12, he should be out with his mates, getting up to mischief, worrying about his looks, doing sport stuff... Instead these kids are moving their arms and my own son can't even join in", and I started crying my heart out... Oh, it's ok if people were watching, one thing you lose when you have a child with autsim is any sense of embarrassment in public... :-|

Anyway, on the good side, we managed to get him to get his hair cut afterwards, so that's a plus... And so it goes on. :-|

Aaaaand *breathe*. Dropped my bundle to the tribunal earlier on, nothing else I can do now but wait for Wednesday. :oops:

I hadn't realised how much this had been weighing on me until today when we had the end of year assembly, and T. wouldn't come into the room (asemblies have always been a major major sensory issue). As the other kids swayed and moved their arms (badly), I thought: "is this is? This is what we can look forward for the rest of our lives? He is 12, he should be out with his mates, getting up to mischief, worrying about his looks, doing sport stuff... Instead these kids are moving their arms and my own son can't even join in", and I started crying my heart out... Oh, it's ok if people were watching, one thing you lose when you have a child with autsim is any sense of embarrassment in public... :-|

Oh hun dont start you'll have me going in a minute!

Our little un has bad colic and i'm crying with her, its so unfair when they're in pain

Luckily for you T doesnt miss out on the same things that you know he's going to miss out on so it's only you that gets upset about it

Do you see what i'm saying?

Keep your chin up hun, you will win in the end ;)

Anyway, on the good side, we managed to get him to get his hair cut afterwards, so that's a plus... And so it goes on. :-|

Fantastic :)

Good Luck. I hope it goes your way on Wednesday.

I know exactly how you feel Bookworm been there. My son with autism is now 22yrs old, you just sort of get used to living with it. Its not easy though I see his brother getting exams, worrying bout girls, looking for work, going to uni and I know that M will never do any of that.

Glad you managed to get his hair cut. :)

Bookie, totally empathise, those odd moments, moments of clarity where it's all in front of you, the life that could be, but never will. It's just a different life, isn't it? All we really want for our kids is for them to be happy, and to be the best they can be, disabled or not.

Your son has the greatest gift of all - a fantastic mother who will always fight for what's best for him, will always be in his corner (I speak from experience, not all mothers put their children first).

Best wishes for Wednesday, keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you :D

Btw glad he got his hair cut also! :)

icon_bricks.gif

I don't believe this.

:-(

Got a letter from the tribunal today: they have cancelled tomorrow's hearing. It's reset to August 20th.

I phoned them, and the reason is that they had only allocated 15 mns for the hearing, and with me submitting an 8 mns DVD, they realised they wouldn't have enough time to deal with it all and voila, postponed for a month.

wall.gif

Well at least you're already prepared and it's not toooooo long to wait. It shows they're taking the matter seriously if they're ensuring they have sufficient time to reconsider their decision.;)

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

I really feel for you.

I have a son with very severe autism. He's 35 now. sadly his problems were so severe when he was young, that he had to go into long term fostering. Additionally at the time I had two other very young children, was a single parent, with an ex husband who gave up work so he would not have to give the children any money, oh and I was in such a state I was seeing a psychiatrist every week for three years.

I know how difficult life can be with such a child, especially when they look so normal until they behave differently.

I am severely disabled myself now, and have just received my DLA renewal, which they have now classified as "indefinite", but I have been in such a state of nerves over it, as it took over three months just to get the decision that I have been on Valium!

Anyone who has lived for any length of time with an autistic child or adult will know how hard it is. My son lives in sheltered accommodation and has to have 24 hr care.

I truly wish you and your son all the best and all the luck (not that you should need luck) for the tribunal.

You are a remarkable woman and if your son could know what you do for him he would be very proud to have you as his mother.

• 2 weeks later...