Is 2GB per month enough?

Guest wino
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Been with who ?

BE or Bullcrud ???

bulldog and i do "use" the puter that being said i had problems last w/e with them, hopefully sorted now :rolleyes:

but am thinking of going with BE, have requested and recieved mac from bulldog

honey x

• 2 months later...
honey x ;)

Take a look here. I can't speak for the rest of the info. but Fast4 "unlimited" and in the "good" section - best do your research carefully.... (and they have "merged" with oft. bankrupted "breathe internet" in recent weeks.)

Fast4 - ISPr Forum

It seems that at the minute low-cost ISPs are such for good reason. For example the one I used last year was unlimited, then came the FUP, then the 60 Gb cap, then the 15........that's when I jumped ship.

If you're happy with your provider and it seems value for money, I personally would stay with them - if the net is important to you, don't risk locking yourself into 12- 18 months contract

Google for "bandwidth monitor" to find an array of free software that will monitor useage for you - you can eat 2Gb surprisingly quickly

These ISPs may state no download limit, but they all have a 'fair usage' policy which amounts to the same thing.

There is one(very surprising) exception AFAIK - Tesco.net....

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I was thinking of subscribing to sky broadband. The basic package is 2GB per month. We download approx 50 songs per month the rest is browsing and CAG (of course) would this be enough?

In fact, I saw Bookie's claim in the Torygraph the other day; it claimed that watching videos on the Torygraph website didn't affect download limits.

On the web version, it stated that it did affect limits, but minimally.

BTW, it also claimed a week before that Tim Berners Lee invented the Internet.

...and this from a supposed respectable newspaper.

I stand corrected. (Told you they lived for the stuff! :lol:) My understanding of the d/l limits were that they meant "proper" d/l, not surfing, but I have to say I haven't looked at them closely, so will bow to greater knowledge in that field.

Just a little note.

Don't get download confused with 'bandwidth'

When you download anything (which includes a webpage) your pc sends out packets of acknowledgement and these uploads are usually included in the download limit unless it specifically says so.

Every time you download a music track, you send back these packets to the uploader.

Watching streaming videos has little download effect, but does affect the bandwidth used which is what a lot of ISPs are complaining of in regards to the BBC.

Just out of interest, Virgin have just signed a deal with the BBC that there will be no traffic shaping of BBC streaming.

Edited by Conniff

I am currently on Orange £17.99 per month unlimited usage but I need to cut my out goings down so thought sky would be a good bet. But I don't want a whopping big bill at the end of the month because I've used more than I should:(

As dave said, download this DU Meter Home Page for your last 2 months to see how much you use. then as Curlyben said, Sky do offer a package for £5.00 per month. If 2 gig ain't enough you should look into that one.

Edited by locutus

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 2 weeks later...

"Bytes n stuff data allowances"

Right folks in order to help you out your data issues I thought I would update you on an important aspect of mobile internet.

Rounding of data -> Most ISP's esp mobiles round your data UP to the nearest KB so if you have used 1023 you will be charged for a meg. This means that over the course of the month you could have used alot more than you first thought as they charge you for data rounding.

Lost packets and network re transmits. Sounds complex. Not really. This just means that whilst your data is moving from the cellsite to your phone (otherwise known as a packet) sometimes for whatever reason a packet might become carrupt or just not reach you at all. This can happen for lots of reasons and usually happens thousands of times per minute without you knowing. This will take up MB allowance without you ever knowing about it. The information lost must be re sent which of course takes up extra data. This data is not displayed on your counters.

Take warning. Get an uncapped plan. O2's fair useage is about 7GB even though it says 3GB. Vodafone allow you to have up to 10GB on their policies though though they actually do unlimited plans which are tuly unlimited (corp) T-mobile and orange stay away from

honey5 said:

"Tiscali

+ [ ]

- [One of the worst ISPs about]"

Not true in my case:

I've been with Tiscali now for over 4 years - £14.99 per month uncapped 8mb speed (although only get 3.5mb actual - same applies to all ISPs - you never get the full 8MB - it's called globle traffic shaping!) - the fair usage policy simply asked you not to download large files between 6 & 11pm of a day, which I adhear to - otherwise I have unlimited use.

Only had two issues during my 4 years, in being unable to connect for about a week (due to infrastructure updates - lol) but they credited my account to compensate - otherwise I'm very happy.

I regularly exceed 100GB per month (being a gamer and updates and all!) so I would hate to have to keep an eye on my usage.

In my opinion it's best to get an unlimited service so you never have to worry about you usage.

As mentioned before - some sites are heavy in usage when visiting - I regularly clean out my cookie and temp internet folder and can find well over 250mb simply viewing internet pages in a very short space of time - if you stream video (like the BBC news web site) then this will dramaticly increase further.

So in answer to the original post question - No I don't think 2GB is sufficient, unless you simply use it to e-mail!

So go get unlimited - you will be better off in the long run.

(Tiscali is about to sell out to another ISP - still unsure who, or how/if the service will change - worth considering that Tiscali currently is uncertain!)

Cheers - happy surfing..........

Errrrr Bulldog do offer home and business services. They always have.

While they have been purchased by O2, they haven't made any changes to the way they do business, which is damn good.

I'm surprised Bulldog are in this list as they no longer offer domestic connections and since they where purchased by Cable & Wireless, pre-pipex, the services has gone to sh!te.

They should be in the barge pole section.