CAG... Why don't you............

Juslookin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6042 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just thought I'd jump in.

We all use a solicitor to do conveyancing, when it can easily be done yourself.

Well, I have done conveyancing myself in the past, and to be honest, the amount of hassle (mainly from dealing with the council and the other solicitor) it causes is well worth circa 200 quid in my opinion, just for the lower blood pressure - reclaiming bank charges is a complete doddle in comparison, especially with the tools and information we have here (the Wiki, the automated letters, the spreadsheets, etc...)

However, to set up a site to do what you suggest (and thanks for the suggestion btw) we would need to be registered with some govt. body (can't remember which) for a start, we would need public indemnity insurance, register with the IC (DPA) - which we already are as a matter of fact) etc... and I would imagine that the logistics and administration would be a complete nightmare, and not something that I would relish.

There is a site that has been set up by an ex-moderator from this forum - penalty charges - they will charge 10%, and I would have no problem at all with recommending them should anyone come to me and ask if I knew of such a company/site that did it all for you.

Stephen may be many things, but two of them are honest and moral - and for that reason (coupled with the fact that he is about 15% cheaper than the ambulance chasers) I would recommend going there is someone REALLY didn't want to do it for themselves.

The initial purpose of CAG (or the BAG as it was then) was to bring down the regime of charges, not to get peoples money back. As it happens part of that 'war' had a happy side effect - i.e. people getting their money back.

Our main aim was to flood the courts, the IC and the Ombusdman with claims/complaints, so that they would be 'on-side', reluctantly maybe, but it would ensure that they too would want an end to it.

According to one high court judge, the amount of claims for a single issue such as this is unprecedented in the history of English law, that seems to have happened, so strike one to us!

Another side effect was (and this was by design really) that people would feel empowered enough after this to take on anyone that wronged them in 'consumerville', and the site stats regarding the 'consumer side' of things seems to suggest that this has happened as well.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Yes dave, correct it is Penalty Charges that are doing it. I know suppose that all these people who are condeming these 'companies' are now changing their minds!

I have no interest either in these companies. I do not do it myself ( just in case you were all thinking that I was the company in question) But it is interesting to know that all these people who were totally against this operation, would they now send people to Penalty charges for them to charge these people?

By the way Shane, I am sure Booky can speak for themselves. This is a forum for discussion and I am sure there may be other people besides you who would like to contribute.

it causes is well worth circa 200 quid in my opinion, just for the lower blood pressure - reclaiming bank charges is a complete doddle in comparison,

Maybe to some, but not to all. FWIW, I do not beleive in these companies, I also think they are leeches , no matter who they are. As stated previously, if they cannot do it for themselves, then they lose out.

These firms have no more knowledge or expertise than this sites' owners and helpers.

Maybe this one has ;)

And to be honest, how could I trust someone to work on my behalf, and have access to all my personal details, when they don't even know the difference between "there" and "their??":evil:

My thoughts entirely as well. But now you know who it is, does that change your mind?

Well said Bookworm. I found this site in January and it has been life altering. I not only got money back, but I also got my life back, I am not afraid anymore. That wouldn't have happened if I paid someone to do it on my behalf.

:lol:

Well said Bookworm. I found this site in January and it has been life altering. I not only got money back, but I also got my life back, I am not afraid anymore. That wouldn't have happened if I paid someone to do it on my behalf.[/quote

You are right. I think this site ( only just found it BTW) is fantastic for everyone reclaiming. The information and support is second to none.

However, I asked the above questions as I had an idea that it was against members morals to recommend these types of companies after having reads some other threads. In fact, I would go as far as to say they were actually despised by most.

And yet, it's Ok to send people to Stephen hone who would charge someone £85.00 PER HOUR FOR CANCELLING if they cahnge their mind.

This is something I do not understand.

Stephen hone who would charge someone £85.00 PER HOUR FOR CANCELLING if they cahnge their mind.

Is that really the case? Was not aware of that

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

Is that really the case? Was not aware of that

There is a link from his site to the charging site. On that site you can download his terma and conditions.

This will show that if the customer cancells after the 14 day period they will be charged at

£85.00 PER HOUR FOR THE WORK DONE

And this is OK with CAG & their moderstors/site helpers and members?

Looking through some previous threads, I see a member called Podgydad got some abuse hurled at him for being a claims managment company, and yet it is Ok to send stuff to this site?

Maybe if Podgy sees this he can come on here and tell us how much he charges for a cancellation|?

Yes dave, correct it is Penalty Charges that are doing it. I know suppose that all these people who are condeming these 'companies' are now changing their minds.

Not at all. Dave has his opinion, I have mine, and we don't always agree. I find the idea of charging for this morally repugnant, regardless of who does it, full stop.

Well, this is purely my own opinion but that sounds like something a Bank would do, what next claiming back penalty charges from, well penalty charges!

Really can't see what the fuss is about. If people want to engage someone else to do the work for them, thats' fine by me. Just make sure you choose someone qualified and insured.

What people charge is a matter for agreement.

It is rather strange to say that offering a service to asist people to reclaim is morally repugnant. There are all sorts of companies and services available in all walks of life to do things for people that they could do themselves both in and outside of a legal context. People get the choice and having the choice is a good thing. There's nothing moral or not about it. Use them or don't - your choice.

I have only dealt with my own charges and reclaimed for my brother but I have no problem with someone doing the work for a fee if that's what the reclaimer chooses.

Not at all. Dave has his opinion, I have mine, and we don't always agree

Ah, so it's not against the ethos of ALL CAG stands for, just your opinion. ?

Not really, no, it is pretty much against the ethos of all CAG stands for.

I don't know why you keep on trying to flog that horse, it is well and truly dead.

1) CAG's ethos is not to charge, but instead to empower them to do it for themselves.

2) My personal opinion is that it is morally wrong to charge people a fee for doing their bank charges claims for them.

3) Dave's opinion and mine differ on what the next step is, he seems to find it acceptable to direct them towards someone else who may be less dishonest/more competent than most of the ones you can see cluttering the web, I wouldn't do it, and if it were my site, I wouldn't allow any reference to it. Since it is his and Bankfodder's site and not mine, I abide by their rules.

Clear enough now?

No, the question was that if someone ABSOLUTELY did not want to do it themselves then should we be charging to do it for them.

The answer was no.

If someone ABSOLUTELY wants their money back, I would rather send them to Stephen's site, as:

a) he is cheaper than the other leaches

b) he runs a site very similar to this one, in as much as the information is free and you will get decent, informed help there.

I'd rather a smaller percentage of someones money go to that site than one of the complete leeches.

I do not advocate ANYONE leeching off of people. But, as the OP stated that 'what if someone really doesn't want to do it themselves' (or similar words), then why not send them to a site that also helps people for FREE.

I wasn't aware of the cancellation agreement.

You will find that we do not link to ANY site that makes any money in this way, on this forum.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

My opinion is, we need to educate the general public that companies are not gods and we can make decisions for ourselves and part of this decision making is being able to discern what is right and wrong and be able to dispute what is wrong. Companies for far too long have bullied the public without much contention or regulation. This is somthing we should all be aiming to stop and change and the only way is to work together and give ppl the support and confidence to stand up for themselves without feeling they cannot change a decision made by a company or make a differance.

If your are being bullied at school it is better to learn self defence and stand up to the bullies than to pay a bigger lad to fight for you. As long as it is within your capabilities and as we have proven on here 99 out of 100 times it is.

Which is precisely what this site was set up to do - well, that and to bring the banks to order.

...which slowly seems to be happening ;-)

------------

------------

Am NOT wanting to join in the rather interesting debate.

...'Fraid I'd get too carried away!!!

Just Posting a couple of Single Post links for the benefit of the OP...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1031187.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1031205.html

Nothing contentious is meant by them btw

...'Tis just a pet hate of mine!...;)

'Fraid I'd get too carried away!!!

That never happens to you does it MTM;) lol

Am NOT wanting to join in the rather interesting debate.

...'Fraid I'd get too carried away!!!

Just Posting a couple of Single Post links for the benefit of the OP...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1031187.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1031205.html

Nothing contentious is meant by them btw

...'Tis just a pet hate of mine!...;)

Yeh I have a few pet hates as well. Double Standards is one

And, as dave so rightly put it:

a) he is cheaper than the other leaches

Not all the other leeches, there are some who will charge only £250 whatever the amount, and they will not charge £85 per hour if they want to cancel.

I don't know why you keep on trying to flog that horse, it is well and truly dead.

Again, just your opinion?

troll4alert.gif

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....