CAG... Why don't you............

Juslookin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not really, no, it is pretty much against the ethos of all CAG stands for.

There's also the legal aspect of it (search for Champerty on the site), and the liability aspect and many many other reasons. But first and most of all, it is not what CAG is about. ;-)

It's about self-help. If they can't be asked doing it for themselves, so be it.

Morally, yes, it is wrong. Someone charging a fee for something that can be so easily done for yourself is frankly barely above the banks themselves, it's all about taking advantage of people who have already been conned often enough. We believe in self-empowerment and education.

The satisfaction when you get your first win is something that can really give you the drive to challenge and tackle a lot more things in your life. You can't put a price on that. :-)

It's about self-help. If they can't be asked doing it for themselves, so be it.

Morally, yes, it is wrong. Someone charging a fee for something that can be so easily done for yourself is frankly barely above the banks themselves, it's all about taking advantage of people who have already been conned often enough. We believe in self-empowerment and education.

The satisfaction when you get your first win is something that can really give you the drive to challenge and tackle a lot more things in your life. You can't put a price on that. :-)

absolutely:D I fnd myself now wanting to help other people in my situation as well as a result of what i have learned and achieved from the CAG

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

Morally, yes, it is wrong. Someone charging a fee for something that can be so easily done for yourself is frankly barely above the banks themselves, it's all about taking advantage of people who have already been conned often enough. We believe in self-empowerment and education

I have to disagree with the taking advantage bit. If they knew about this site ( or other sites) but still wanted someone to do it for them, how would that be taking advantage?

not to mention the fact that members donate once they've got charges back:)
Actually, very few of them do. Sad, but true. But that's the way it is.

Over time, we have tried to think of different ways to bring in enough income to keep running, and the ads you see for the legal packs are one of them, the sale of e-mail addresses another, all so the resources available here can stay free for all. Whether that will be sufficient long term, I do not know... What I do know is that the owners have so far resisted any commercial entanglement, long may they be able to continue doing so. :-)

We all use a solicitor to do conveyancing, when it can easily be done yourself.

We employ a painter and decorator when we can do it ourselves, we pay a lot of things to a lot of people when we can do a lot ourselves. Is this not the same?

Hi Bookworm,

Trying to send you a PM but can't seem to do it! can you maybe send me one so i can reply in turn

kind regards,

shane

I have to disagree with the taking advantage bit. If they knew about this site ( or other sites) but still wanted someone to do it for them, how would that be taking advantage?
I have helped (and still do) plenty of friends who either didn't have Internet access, or the confidence to tackle things themselves. I wouldn't dream of charging them, that would be morally repugnant. Disagree all you like, that's my moral take on things, and I am glad to say it has been the site owners' too.

I am not saying that one should actively seek out these 'vunerable' people, but rather than asking for help, they are saying

" I will not do it under any circumstances, but will pay you to do it for me!"

Is there anything wrong with that?

What are your views on someone who was willing to do that?

We all use a solicitor to do conveyancing, when it can easily be done yourself.

We employ a painter and decorator when we can do it ourselves, we pay a loy of things to a lot of people when we can do a lot ourselves. Is this not the same?

Not really, no. For starters, those people will be doing this as a job, they will presumably have qualifications, experience, and insurance for when things go wrong. It is their chosen profession.

There are plenty of ambulance-chasers jumping on the bandwagon about bank charges, those sites mushroom everywhere, with varying results, from what I am being told, not all of them to the client's advantage, and we certainly can't stop people from going to them. CAG believes that everyone can do it for themselves and keep the money in theit pocket instead, I don't see what's so wrong about that? :?

I am not saying that one should actively seek out these 'vunerable' people, but rather than asking for help, they are saying

" I will not do it under any circumstances, but will pay you to do it for me!"

Is there anything wrong with that?

What are your views on someone who was willing to do that?

If they're asking you, you know them, right? My view would be to say: "ok, I think you should make the effort of doing this yourself" but if they really can't/won't with good reason, I would do it for nothing. Buy me a drink once you get your money back.

If it is because they're simply too lazy/can't be bothered to do it for themselves, then that's their choice. They'll lose out on hundreds or thousands of pounds they could reclaim? Well, what can I say, there's one born every minute. You can't force people to help themselves. It doesn't give anyone a free pass to take advantage of their stupidity/laziness. Sorry.

Not really, no. For starters, those people will be doing this as a job, they will presumably have qualifications, experience, and insurance for when things go wrong. It is their chosen profession.

There are plenty of ambulance-chasers jumping on the bandwagon about bank charges, those sites mushroom everywhere, with varying results, from what I am being told, not all of them to the client's advantage, and we certainly can't stop people from going to them. CAG believes that everyone can do it for themselves and keep the money in theit pocket instead, I don't see what's so wrong about that? :?

No, I don't see what is wrong with that either. ( Nor have I said anything to contradict that )

If they're asking you, you know them, right? My view would be to say: "ok, I think you should make the effort of doing this yourself" but if they really can't/won't with good reason, I would do it for nothing. Buy me a drink once you get your money back.

If it is because they're simply too lazy/can't be bothered to do it for themselves, then that's their choice. They'll lose out on hundreds or thousands of pounds they could reclaim? Well, what can I say, there's one born every minute. You can't force people to help themselves. It doesn't give anyone a free pass to take advantage of their stupidity/laziness. Sorry.

No, I am referring to people who have been on here and maybe other sites to have a look at what it entails. Decided that it was not for them, was directed to another site where they would pay 10%.

These people are not known personally.

A fool and his money are soon parted. *sigh*

Like I said before, we can't force them to do it for themselves. It doesn't make it morally right (nor necessarily legal) for the other site to charge for it. But I guess we all have different moral codes. Simply because others have gone down that path doesn't mean we have to cheapen ourselves here. :-)

Set up another site for people who just do not want to reclaim themselves under any circumstances. Get someone to do it for them and charge 10% and then donate the money to keep this site going?

Good Idea?

And if they cancel the agreement after 14 days, charge them £85 per hour for the work you have done to date.

They seem to be able to complete quicker than most as well:

How long does it take?

It largely depends on the co-operation of your bank, but on average about three months from your first contact with us to recovering your compensation.

Can I make the claim myself?

Yes of course you can, however many people prefer there claim to be managed on there behalf taking the hassle and stress away from the entire process.

Pretty good eh?

on there behalf taking the hassle and stress away from the entire process.

And 25% of the total claim in most cases. Thats a damn high cut, and a pretty low trick. No better than the banks.

These firms have no more knowledge or expertise than this sites' owners and helpers.

And to be honest, how could I trust someone to work on my behalf, and have access to all my personal details, when they don't even know the difference between "there" and "their??":evil:

• Haha 1

Six Nations Champions 2009

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

:cool::-D:cool:

Juslookin,

I fully understand what you are getting at, I'm sure there are people out there who want it all done for them without needing to do any work themselves, BookWorm has already informed you of CAG's position on this, as such there isn't much left to discuss on the matter