final bill more than quote.

jowalshy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

with regards to the cambelt being part of the mot, most mot stations can refuse to mot a diesel if the cambelt has not been replaced according to schedule as during the test itself the belt is put under immense strain and if it snaps would then start huge ball rolling as to who was responsible.

There is no way the age of the cambelt can be determined without removing the cover, (and this is not allowed in an MoT), and even then it cannot be said that the cambelt has not been changed at the schedule as laid down by the manufacturer. If an MoT station should enquire then they will have to take the owners word for it.

As the majority of diesels cars are taken to the limit during driving, especially uphill and non turbo, I would suggest that the MoT puts no more strain on the belt than use on the road.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You certainly may ask. I owned and ran a garage for almost 40 years and have MEng(Hon) after my name.

Any vagueness is that the facts must be acertained before you enter into any negotiation and it would be wrong to say something that is taken as what might have occured. When the fact are known then we can progress to a conclusion.

It would be silly to claim on something and then loose that claim because the facts were incorrect, and only the OP can give the these details.

Yer.....But the only way we can do that is by Jo posting the letter, or better still could you get on to your friend and get copys of all the letters and post the lot?

Yer.....But the only way we can do that is by Jo posting the letter, or better still could you get on to your friend and get copys of all the letters and post the lot?

Jo is on here to help a friend and is not in possession of all the data and the full story. It is coming, so lets be patient.

yes but if you look round most mot stations they will state about the cambelt being changed and history of, agreed anyone can just say yes but in relation to the statement that it is not a part of the mot, that is not entirely true.

although it wont fail because of it, it can be an issue.

i think we really do need to see the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. so come on jowalshy, lets have the real and thorough story please.

and so, how can we possibly slate this garage without all the information then?

surly this would amount to slander and you could all be liable for prosicution if for some reason he was in the right?

we need to be carefull here and get ALL the facts.

for all we know owner of the van and the garage could have fallen out over anything and this is there way of getting back at them.

everyone is putting their oar in without any hard facts - but who are we to judge?

if indeed this is all true then why is jowalshy on here and not the owner of the van?

and indeed why has she not gone to trading standards, the police or CAB?

something really does not sound right so lets get to the bottom of this jo!!!!

im not suggesting she is lying but how can we help if she doesnt tell us everything?

and why is she posting the info if she doesnt know the full story?

what are you not telling us?

she is on here asking for help but how can we help without knowing everything?

just read the threads, none of it makes sense.

where did the engine swop suddenly come from?

this suggests that the whole story is not being told.

and anyway, who are you?

you seem to know jo, so may be a little biased?

or are you the vans owner?

Ok this thread seems to be getting a bit out of hand.

the facts as I know them.

1. The original owner of the van happens to be my brother.

2. He sold the van to a friend of his, but it did not have an MOT.

3. My brothers friend also purchased another van of a later model and was going to use the parts from this donor van to do up my brothers ex van in order to sell it and make a profit.

4. Brothers mate then went to the garage and agreed initially with the mechanic to use this donor van to do up my brothers ex van, but in the end decided against it, so therefore just wanted to get my brothers ex van an MOT. the donor van was then taken out of the equation.

5. The mechanic told my borthers friends wife verbally that it should cost approx £450 to £5oo and possibly even less. he was also told that they didn't want spend more than £500.00.

6.mechanic then did is stuff and produced an invoice for over £800.00.

7. My friend disputed this invoice.

8. mechanic then raised another invoice to cover admin costs of £300.00, and told them that he is going to keep the van in storage until the bill is settled, also charging them with the storage costs.

9. Prior to the van being MOT'd, the mechanic repaired some obvious MOT faliure points of which I do not know what they are.

If his invoice was done in cronological order then it appears that he took a total of 8.5 hours to repair 2 wiper blades and replace 5 bulbs. He then took a further 21 hours to do a timing belt, 2 hours to replace the brake hosing, 4.5 hours to do front brake pads and then 2 hours to replace a seat belt stalk and put some brake fluid in. My friends are not disputing what he has done to the van, they are just disputing the labour charges he has charged and also the fact that he is charging them for storage of the van plus admin costs.

THIS IS NOT A CASE OF THEM FALLING OUT OVER SOMETHING ELSE WITH THE MECHANIC, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE FOR COMMENTS LIKE THAT TO BE KEPT TO YOURSELF.

I have tried to get my brothers friends wife to come on here, but unfortunately she has just recently had major surgery to try and find out whether her cancer has come back or not (thankfully it hasn't). Her husband, who is the friend of my brother, is not very good with computers.

I can only post what I have been told. If there is any info you need, please ask for it and I will in turn ask them for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

so was any work done involving the donor van before it was decided not to use it?

why did you not source the parts, ie seat belt from the donor van?

No work was done to the donor van apart from using the seat belt stalk.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

The donor van was removed by my brothers friend and scrapped in the end.

The dispute is the fact that they agreed that the bill would be no more than £500 then the mechanic produces a bill for over £800. Then a further bill for £300 in admin costs. there has also been further bills for more admin costs since.

I am not sure of the reason he gave for refusing the offers. I can only imagine he wants the full £1200+. I will hopefully be speaking to them tonight at some stage and will ask them.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks