I am a Customer Relations Manager for Norwich Union

Guest Aviva Support
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you send a S.A.R (Subject Access Request) to a company then they are required by law to send you any information they hold on you under the data protection act.

As far as documentation goes, i'm assuming you mean like a motor insurance certificate etc? In that case, as far as i'm aware there is no legal obligation as such for a company to send you documents that you request if you've just lost them or need duplicates.

If you change your car for example then you are entitled to a new cert as its a legal requirement to produce one to a police officer on request.

Most companies will re-issue you documents upon request (some might charge for it though to cover admin costs) if you're having issues getting docs from your insurer then you need to make a complaint and follow the correct process and hopefully it should all be sorted out.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lilial,

Under FSA regs, a summary of the policy terms and conditions must be provided prior to the issue of cover i.e. at quote stage. The actual policy document must be issued within 30 days of completion of contract by the insurer.

If not received, they are obliged to issue duplicate documentation.

Provided that you have paid the premium and completed the proposal form and has been accepted by the insurer, you have fulfilled your end of the contract. Acceptance is deemed to be the issue of the policy and that all material facts have been disclosed.

There is a difference between a generic policy and endorsements / exclusions applicable to such policy therefore the generic policy wording should always be read in conjuction with the policy schedule. Most insurers now have their generic wording on their websites. You should therefore always ensure that you have a policy schedule.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

Guest Aviva Support

Hi lilal

thanks for your patience and thanks everyone else for helping me out here!

In terms of legality, we're talking about civil law rather than criminal law. And in any case, the insurance industry is heavily regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Under FSA regulations an insurer is obliged to provide a policyholder with full policy details in a durable medium... this could be on paper, in a .pdf format or even online, but there are issues with version control online - you need to be able to see the documentation that applies to your policy specifically, so the best way is in hard or soft written copy.

I hope this answers your question?

Becca

this relates to a ppi policy.we have never been issued a policy document in any form ,we have had 3 policies at different times with the same insurer.the only thing that we have is a schedule of insurance ,this from the bank that arranged/sold us the policies.one was in 03 the others started in 04 .in 05 we made a claim i requested a copy two times but it has never have been sent.how can i fulfil the terms of this policy if they have failed in their duty to provide one (3):mad:

I'll hold my hands up and say that i'm not entirely familiar with payment protection policies, however, if you have a schedule of insurance, is that not in itself a document that proves you have cover? With home insurance for example, an insurance schedule is basically the equivalent of a certificate of motor insurance in the sense that its your proof that you have cover.

Do you know what other documents that you are supposed to have been sent?

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

lilal,

It may be worth restarting the thread in the PPI forum as this type of insurance does not fall under the same FSA remit as general insurances i.e. motor, household, public liability etc.

As it is a financial product I believe regulation for such products was a lot earlier than when these overpaid muppets at the FSA started interferring with general insurances.

I think it is more to do with the sale of the life type assurance based products.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

thanks trojan,i have also posted it in ppi forum.boy oh boy i wish this was straight forward but we all know insurance companies.my schedule shows the benefit payable ,dates and the level of cover ,that,s it.i have no idea what is stated within the policy ,fat lot of good now though,now that they are refusing to make any further payments on my claim because they allege i have breached the terms within the policy:mad: .as far as i was concerned the information i had been supplied from the start was it ,that,s all the info i needed or should get.call me stupid ,naive .had i not had to make a claim i would still be none the wiser:( .

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the length of this thread it has now been closed - please now post your questions as new threads on this forum. Thanks.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks