CAG CRA S.A.R Club

sosumi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

on the subject of data sharing

came acrosss an MBNA submission to the competition commission on homecredit dated 2006 from donna pumfrey

this bit is interesting

h) new customers can give consent on their application forms; for existing customers either the Home Credit suppliers would need to obtain consent for future sharing but not all customers will give their consent.

[PDF] Home Credit Inquiry: Responses from other interested parties 2

13k - Adobe PDF - View as html

Response to Notice of Possible Remedies from MBNA. Copy of email dated 30 May 2006 from MBNA to Competition Commission. Dear Lanze, ...

competition-commission.org.uk/Inquiries/current/homecredit/...

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/Inquiries/current/homecredit/responses_other_interested_parties_2_mbna_bank.pdf

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have about 8 separate threads (AA99 v ....) for each of my creditors but my point was SAR'ing their relevant DCA's that they are using, ie, Freds, Mercers, Shoosmiths, etc......:confused:

Yes AA, you can SAR pretty much anyone. In essence, you asking, by law, for any and all information that a 'company' or organisation holds about you.

I SAR'd a couple of DCAs well over a year ago, they don't like it (why would they, it exposes them:p). They're very reluctant to provide full details. One of them (Link) were so worried about our complaint re. a 'postcard' that they sent a load of papers, stapled together, with only one half of the postcard. The other half said 'Please ring...'. It was curiously absent - wonder why?;) They then said they'd sent everything!

It's well worth doing, just expensive at £10 a go, plus recorded delivery.

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Yes AA, you can SAR pretty much anyone. In essence, you asking, by law, for any and all information that a 'company' or organisation holds about you.

I SAR'd a couple of DCAs well over a year ago, they don't like it (why would they, it exposes them:p). They're very reluctant to provide full details. One of them (Link) were so worried about our complaint re. a 'postcard' that they sent a load of papers, stapled together, with only one half of the postcard. The other half said 'Please ring...'. It was curiously absent - wonder why?;) They then said they'd sent everything!

It's well worth doing, just expensive at £10 a go, plus recorded delivery.

Mmm, the cost is probably what's stopped me doing all the DCA's and the fact that I'm a stickler for paperwork and filing and I have the sound knowledge that I do actually hold all the original agreements :D

I have done full SAR's and CCA's will all my creditors but haven't bothered with the DCA's. I think a few 100 recorded phone calls with them may be enough!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

Mmm, the cost is probably what's stopped me doing all the DCA's and the fact that I'm a stickler for paperwork and filing and I have the sound knowledge that I do actually hold all the original agreements :D

I have done full SAR's and CCA's will all my creditors but haven't bothered with the DCA's. I think a few 100 recorded phone calls with them may be enough!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

The point, though, is not what documentation you have - the point is what documentation do they have. Just ask Paul Walton, Sparkie or D&D how powerful this can be. Need I go on? :wink:

I have no idea how I missed this thread until today............ :(

I stopped at page 5 and think I got the gist - correct me if I'm wrong ...

Experian / Creditexpert - If I've had a free check or even signed up (have done all ) then everytime I set-up an account (free or renew??) they list it as a 'viewing' (terminology not by good point) and somehow this allows others to see my information (how come???)

This would explain why most of all the recent viewings have been 'me' or 'Experian'..... would also explain a few emails / spam etc.

Am I right in thinking there is no real reason to check my creditfile with Experian anymore or not? I do so regularly nowadays. I imagine not knowing would be better for my stress levels but then again I'd like to pursue any company that defaults me etc for obvious reasons.

can anybody explain main findings of last 60+ pages in one little friendly reply? Oh - am I right in thinking the SAR requests to Experian went ok? Somthting I should watch out for?

Sorry WTWT, I was going to reply earlier.

IMO, Credit Reference Agencies are a substantial part of the root of all problems re. DCAs. They are information harvesters and we are their data, we're the 'goods' they trade.:mad:

I have no idea how I missed this thread until today............ :(

I stopped at page 5 and think I got the gist - correct me if I'm wrong ...

Experian / Creditexpert - If I've had a free check or even signed up (have done all ) then everytime I set-up an account (free or renew??) they list it as a 'viewing' (terminology not by good point) and somehow this allows others to see my information (how come???)

This would explain why most of all the recent viewings have been 'me' or 'Experian'..... would also explain a few emails / spam etc.

Am I right in thinking there is no real reason to check my creditfile with Experian anymore or not? I do so regularly nowadays. I imagine not knowing would be better for my stress levels but then again I'd like to pursue any company that defaults me etc for obvious reasons.

can anybody explain main findings of last 60+ pages in one little friendly reply? Oh - am I right in thinking the SAR requests to Experian went ok? Somthting I should watch out for?

Correct there IS no reason to check your file........unless you suspect fraud. Like this government & it's war on 'terror' their ads are designed purely to frighten consumers into using their service

Also the fact that you ARE checking your file means you may be in the market for all kinds of products hence the spam & junk mail

It's also worth noting that by applying they are able to update your data which if your avoiding anyone means they will find you

Correct there IS no reason to check your file........unless you suspect fraud. Like this government & it's war on 'terror' their ads are designed purely to frighten consumers into using their service

Also the fact that you ARE checking your file means you may be in the market for all kinds of products hence the spam & junk mail

It's also worth noting that by applying they are able to update your data which if your avoiding anyone means they will find you

The CRAs will tell you how it's wise to check your credit file, but what they avoid mentioning is that they feed on your data. EG you take a 'free credit check' with Experian. 1) They hope you'll forget to cancel the trial and they start sucking monthly payments from your account. 2) as JonCris says, you're updating their records with new information. They then sell this to the DCAs. 'Free credit check' = BIG loss of privacy.

They are not 'on your side'.

They don't actually give a hoot about you.

WHAT THEY WANT IS YOUR DATA. It's their CURRENCY. That's how they make their money.

If you can avoid it, don't feed them.

From here:

Experian increases collections insight with new data enhancement service printButton.png emailButton.png Wednesday, 18 February 2009 Experian, the global information services company, today launched a new data enhancement service for the UK collections market. Powered by Experian’s data and analytics, the new service will help lenders and collections houses improve customer insight by scoring and appending a range of valuable information to customer files.

Representing the latest addition to Experian’s Strategic Collections Platform, the data enhancement service enables collectors to better assess the propensity of each customer’s ability to pay, maximise right-party contacts and more effectively prioritise debt for collection.

The full service, run as a fast and effective batch process, will:

- Cleanse collections data by validating it against a range of corroborative sources, including telephone records, gone away indicators and deceased flags

- Append data with up-to-date contact information about the customer, including mobile, work and home telephone numbers, and any forwarding addresses

- Provide key elements from the customer’s credit file, including public data such as bankruptcy, IVA and CCJ information, as well as shared credit performance data for eligible organisations

- Profile demographic and behavioural data to provide a better understanding of a customer’s lifestyle, income, wealth, household composition and predicted patterns of behaviour

- Provide an indication of the customer’s asset base, including an estimated value for any vehicles or property they might own

The combination of these insights will enable collectors to prioritise their debt portfolios by ranking debtors based on ease of collection and also improve the allocation of collection resources.

Simon Waller, Head of Collections at Experian, commented: “Our latest collections service is unmatched in the marketplace and is yet another example of Experian driving innovation where clients need it most. By successfully tracing more debtors and arming collectors with accurate, up to date and enhanced customer information, organisations will realise dramatic improvements in right-party contacts, promises to pay and promises kept.”

(Source - Experian Press Release)

:mad::mad:

Notice that this is completely loaded AGAINST the data subject......imartiality completely out of the window!!!!They have GOT to be stopped!!!!

I for one am going to try thats for certain.

I see there is no mention of not adopting a "we are God attitude any more....we and our suppliers are never wrong.....no mention that we intend to listen to disputes made by a data subject because they are idiots!!!! and not try to hide behind the DPA etc etc....

Me I'm raving

sparkie

Edited by Sparkie1723

How can i help lol

:D Just go for it UK, we're all behind you!

I'm going to try writing to the ASA. How dare this company portray themselves as the 'consumer's friend'. Ack.

This is what I suspected all along, I haven't been credit checked for years and I didn't fall for the free credit check because I knew I would be flagged (yes I am hiding from one debt that will be sb in Dec this year, can't be bothered fighting them if they haven't found me yet).

If you do SAR a CRA, would they use the address you supply for correspondence to update your file? Has this happened to anyone?

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

This is what I suspected all along, I haven't been credit checked for years and I didn't fall for the free credit check because I knew I would be flagged (yes I am hiding from one debt that will be sb in Dec this year, can't be bothered fighting them if they haven't found me yet).

If you do SAR a CRA, would they use the address you supply for correspondence to update your file? Has this happened to anyone?

Definitely yes.

I've been harping on for ages that their 'free credit check' is purely a device to collect up to date info on consumers. There is no such thing as a free lunch & this is the proof if proof where needed. This company is no better than the scummy DCA's they serve

Ah ha, thought so, I'll wait until Jan next year before I send them my SAR then :D

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

They certainly have become far too big for their boots and have far too much power over us.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

• 2 months later...

what a fantastic thread - dont know how I missed it before now! I have used bothe experian and equifax sign up for free trials and the pay for versions, also had a free trial as a reward from something else, marketing survey I think (??) so lost all privacy now I reckon. I have successfully fought with them before over processing defaults incorrectly, now chasing another, so how do I find out if they have corrected my file without doing a check, SAR or simple phone call?

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Experian: We're in untested waters

This is in our local paper - haven't seen it in the national press yet.

so did that article say that benefit claimants get credit checked? sorry it actually says authentication checks, what is that checking if you are who you say you are, isnt that why they use National Insurance Numbers.

Edited by maybelline
clarity

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

what a fantastic thread - dont know how I missed it before now! I have used bothe experian and equifax sign up for free trials and the pay for versions, also had a free trial as a reward from something else, marketing survey I think (??) so lost all privacy now I reckon. I have successfully fought with them before over processing defaults incorrectly, now chasing another, so how do I find out if they have corrected my file without doing a check, SAR or simple phone call?

Hi Maybelline,

I think a phone call will be suffice, ask if the entry you are querying has been rectified ...if not can they explain the resons why... better still E-mail the m, then you have a record of your request and their reply ...if any????.

Saves you £2.00 for a new report

sparkie

thanks sparkie1723, I have had my 'evidence' returned to me with a further reply to my request to remove incorrect data, shortly. I will give them a call soon:)

Experian Decision Analytics - e-news April 2009

looking through the link provided, I assume all this use of data is properly requested per ICO guidlines:(

http://www.experian-da.com/industries/public.html

or how about this, I note it mentions health, justice and so on, just what is proposed?

they use the information commissioner and he as an ex banker knows the importance of sharing data....no way on this earth will he investigate a company he has used in the past or should i say his company has used and still use

the data collectors should be subject to govermen tests and audits to make sure they are not tainted with anything resembling sleaze,but as you are aware data is big big business for all parties concerned except the ordinary bloke or women on the street...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional