Lula v Abbey ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6442 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just rang him. there is a counter offer on its way to me.

Just how old is he??

Poor bloke, I rang him and Monkey started screaming cos he had hurt himself so I had to call him back, he is very reticent on the phone

• Haha 1

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He sounds very young, doesn't he? But I have to say, I found him to be very pleasant, and even helpful!

I found I had to phone him to chase the money after Abbey agreed to settle. As we all know now, they do leave it as long as they can - and then it's a cheque.

Abbey Prelim Letter sent 16/06/06 - LBA sent 30/06/06 - MCOL served 22/07/06 - Acknowledged 26/07/06 - Defended 16/08/2006 - Settled 20/09/06 :o

Abbey 2 Prelim Letter sent 22/09/06

Abbey 2 LBA sent 9/10/06

MCOL 03/11/06

Cap One Prelim sent 28/06/06 - LBA sent 13/07/06

MCOL served 05/08/06 - Acknowledged 02/08/06 - Served 05/08/2006 -Settled in full 22/08/06 :D :D

Halifax Prelim sent 03/07/06 - LBA sent 17/07/06

MCOL issued 03/08/06 - settled in full 09/08/06 :D

MBNA S.A.R sent 21/08/06 Settled 21/09/06 :-o

Morgan Stanley S.A.R sent 29/09/06

He sounds very young, doesn't he? But I have to say, I found him to be very pleasant, and even helpful!

I found I had to phone him to chase the money after Abbey agreed to settle. As we all know now, they do leave it as long as they can - and then it's a cheque.

They didn't send me a cheque even though I asked them to. I wanted to pay it into a different bank. They paid it direct into my Abbey account and they (DLA) said the only time they send a cheque is when the account is actually closed (fibbers !).

I had to wait for the funds to clear twice, once from Abbey (5 days - don't understand this anyway when funds are deposited directly into the account:rolleyes: ) and then again when I moved the money to my other account.:Cry:

They like to make it awkward for you right till the very end:rolleyes:

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

The Consumer Action Group

Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.

He does seem a pleasant chap, and even a spark of humour there :-)

He is still arguing about my charges from 1999 saying that they are covered, and I reminded him that people have been paid out on it and also of the UTCCR 1999, he promptly replied "Not from me they havnt" which we both had a little laugh at :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Well, this morning saw a counter counter offer of 2.5k and stating that

"

limitation Act 1980 Section 32 does indeed, as you state, deal with postponement of a limitation act in cases of fraud, concealment or mistake. Your position seems to be based upon an argument that a fact relevant to your right of action has bean deliberately concealed from you by abbey National plc. We would content that this is not the case. Upon each occasion you were charged, you were informed of both the amount and the reason for the application of the charge.

Well yes, precisly, concealment or at the very least a mistake because they are not allowed to make a profit from these, it is meant to be liquidated damages and not a penalty charge.

So I am of the mind to post him a copy of my AQ before submitting it, does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I was going to include alanfromderby's excellent paragraph in the any other infor section of the AQ

It is contended by the Defendant that the fees levied "are proportionate to the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred due to the Claimant's breach of contract, and are a genuine pre-estimate of the damage suffered by the Defendant".

In order for the Defendant to substantiate this argument, it will be necessary for evidence to be produced showing how these fees have been calculated, presumably this will mean that the Defendant will by relying on detailed accounting information. If this is the case then it would be reasonable to ask that this evidence be made available prior to any court hearing, in order that I may be able to properly analyse it

Can anyone advise me?

Many thanks

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Right, in the any other info section of the AQ, I am putting these few paragraphs

I am claiming back charges unlawfully levied against me by Abbey Bank between December 1999 and July 2006. Abbey are stating that some of my claim is statue barred but I would ask the court to consider the Limitation Act 1980 Section 32 dealing with the postponement of a limitation act in cases of fraud, concealment or mistake.

I would argue that the bank have deliberately concealed their true charges and have turned what should be liquidated damages into an unlawful penalty charge.

It is contended by the Defendant that the fees levied "are proportionate to the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred due to the Claimant's breach of contract, and are a genuine pre-estimate of the damage suffered by the Defendant".

In order for the Defendant to substantiate this argument, it will be necessary for evidence to be produced showing how these fees have been calculated, presumably this will mean that the Defendant will by relying on detailed accounting information. If this is the case then it would be reasonable to ask that this evidence be made available prior to any court hearing, in order that I may be able to properly analyse it

Is this ok? is there anything else I should add?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Well many thanks to alan from derby and to Paul denham himself for supplying the wording to my defence :-)

when this is all over i am going to email him and offer to help him regain any bank charges, what do you think he will say ?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

go for it Lula - keeping a close eye on yours - I spoke to Paul Denham today and felt like asking to speak to his dad!!! sounds really young. He advised they are sending me another offer today. Got made redundant today so I need all the pennies I can get till I find another job. When does your AQ have to be back?

Oh Zannie, thats a real bummer, Well my AQ is due back at court on Wednesday, so I will post it recorded on Monday.

I have also just emailed the love god in Leeds asking him to confirm reciept of my copy of the AQ and asking his to send me his LOL

I am finding that you get no communication from them at all unless you talk to them first

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

This is an open question that's not related to any case in particular, but as this thread is discussing TALKING with DLA, can I ask what is the legal position on conversations between claimant and defendant?

Are these automatically Without Prejudice?

Odd

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Abbey - Won Charges Refund of £1050 - Nov 06

Egg - Recovered £220 due to Customer Services misinformation - Feb 2007

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

LOL Odds, your mind works in mysterious ways, its wonders to perform :-)

I really dont know, I think that unless recorded, a conversation can be interpreted two ways and its just one persons word against another.

JMHO

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Or the conversation, unless recorded, may never have happened at all!

Oh, and you need to look in the limitation act thread re Sec 32, theres some interesting posts and cases beng posted about mistakes of fact or law.

If i understand the cases correctly, the fact you have paid the charges mistakeny believing them to be lawful allows Sec 32.1.c to come into play.

The difference between mistakes of fact or law was removed by one of the cases quoted, agian if my understanding is correct. (Dont ask me to exlpain the difference, apparently it was quite tricky for lawyers i think it said in one of the cases posted.)

So in effect they concealed the true nature of their charges, 32.1.b (i think) and you made a mistake 32.1.c.

Better check ive got it right but it adds another string to your bow.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

just got into this thread and can't wait to see what happens!

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.