Warning to PC World customers!

spruzz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wrote an article yesterday regarding my Philips X56 laptop that was returned on the 28th day after supposedly being repaired. It was returned in the same condition and I now have to wait a further 28 days again.

This is what I have learnt. PC World / Dixons group have a deal with the manufacturers that allows return of faulty goods ONLY within 28 Days. After this, Peasey World has to deal with any warantee issue, i.e. Repairs. In a perfect world, any faulty goods would be replaced but not here....ASDA or John Lewis would just simply exchange the goods if they were substandard.

In this day and age I cannot believe that such a large store group cannot provide a service to their customers. Even the staff could not careless about the problems. I even had to go in after 2 weeks to chase them to send off my faulty laptop to The Tech Guys as they explained that they were simply to busy to deal with me.

Can someone explain to me wether or not the practises are illegal or can they simply get away with this ?

If you prefer the John Lewis / Asda policies then why not go there to buy your stuff? PC World's policies are not hidden from you at time of purchase.

In an ideal world stuff wouldn't go wrong, but as we know, this world is far from ideal.

The law states that you are entitled to a repair and the store must provide this with minimum inconvenience and at no charge to the consumer.

I am reasonably certain that the store would have advised you that the quickest and usually most convenient of repair is to contact their repair agent directly and they can collect the product from your home or place of work. Alternatively, they will have advised you that they can book it in on your behalf, but that will be as and when they get down the mountain of work in their queue.

If you accepted the latter, you also accept that the repair time may be longer and you consent to a possibly less convenient repair term.

In PC World's case, there is a 28 day or 42 day repair policy for first year and extended warranty repairs respectively. If the fault has not been repaired, you can request that the product is replaced if it has exceeded these time scales.

There may be mitigating circumstances that I am unaware of which may prevent an exchange from being provided. For example, software conflicts or if it has been identified that the product has been damaged through misuse. Neither of these scenarios along with a few others would be addressed by the workshop and it may be for these reasons that the item has not received a repair and possibly for these reasons that an exchange may not be possible.

Following my post yesterday concerning my Philips Laptop with repair problems at PC World I feel it only fair to post again as the dispute has been positively settled.

Following a visit yesterday evening again to the PCW Glasgow store and having additional conversations with their Customer Relations department they agreed that the laptop had NOT been repaired even though it was away with the Tech Guys for over 4 weeks. They offered me a full refund or replacement product and I opted for the latter. I returned home last night with a brandnew Sony VAIO with a better spec, faster CPU, double size HDD etc. They have fully installed my confidence in the Dixons Store Group so this is just to let anyone on this thread know that issues can be settled amicably.

I will now continue to purchase products from PCW in the future.

Dai Garrett

• 1 month later...

They are not doing anything illegal they are just following the manufacturer's guarantee procedure on there computers.....

Product:

*28 days or less you are entitled to a refund/exchange

*After 28 days - 12months - Guarantee work carried out on behalf of manufacturers by Tech guys--->>( you need to book it in with them)

*During the 12 month Guarantee period if the machine develops a fault, contact Tech guys ASAP and report fault. As soon as machine is collected from you by courier your 28 day repair or exchange period starts.

If the Original fault is not repaired in the 28 day period you are entitled to a new machine. The stores need a reference number from Techguys authorizing the 28 day exchange or they wont do it... (Theres no magic managers discretion) It affects there bonus's so they WILL NOT EXCHANGE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. i KNOW I used to be A MANAGER THERE.

• 3 months later...
2 things..

i would like you to use word art, to your open office word document,

also now add a chart to it which updates from the information in the table from the document. Whats that, you cant??

sorry repat that. you cant??

if you want to write a letter to a friend and make the writing a simple colour go download open office. want something more compliated such as word art,, charts and millions of other functions. then you are stuck with office.

Sorry to reply to an ancient posting, but this is rubbish, and wasn't challenged in the rest of the thread. OpenOffice is a fully featured word processing package, which does all of the things you mention. You can have charts based on editable tables in the document. You have Fontwork which is an in-document system achieving similar effects to Word Art, and have the Draw package for more advanced work. You have extensive options for the use of colour in documents. And all for free. Your description of OpenOffice above is extremely inaccurate.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I'd like to add about the PCP performance product thing, the store often offers 3 months free (same as currys/.digital) but the sales advisors are not hoping you forget to cancel for years. Actually if the store keeps a customer on an extended warranty for 3 months it gets credited to their bonus scheme. If they cancel before the 3 months it doesn't get credited.

See the logic? Give someone 3 months free, tell them to cancel at the end of 3 months and nobody loses out except DSG as a whole if somebody claims for something like accidental damage within that period.