Taking on Capital One...

Glitterari
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It was acknowledged on 8/5 and received a letter today from the courts stating that Capital One have indicated they are going to defend the whole claim, signed by a legal bod at cap 1.

Is the norm with Cap 1?

C x

HSBC - full refund = £647

Capital One - full refund of £220 + court costs + interest

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Right, need some advice guys. Got a letter from Cap 1 today saying they admit no liability blah blah blah, but have agreed to refund all charges, plus court costs plus interest. They even kindly worked out that I was owed extra interest to what I had stated in my claim and have agreed to pay that too. However, I have copied the 'settlement form' that I need to sign and return for them to refund all monies:

Settlement Form

To:

Exec Office

Cap 1

Etc

Carly

Etc

County Court Claim Number – xxxxxxxx

Your Ref: xxxxxxxxxx

I confirm my acceptance of Capital One’s offer to refund the default fees, court fee and interest totalling £215.43

I confirm this offer is accepted on a no admission of liability on the part of Cap 1 and in full and final settlement of court claim number xxxxxxxxx. I will not take any further action against Cap 1 and I also agree to notify the court to confirm settlement has been reached.

Signed………………………………………

Date………………………………………...

Signed on behalf of capital one

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx date 18/5/06

I am bit worried about signing this because of the "I will not take any further action against capital one" bit as I am sure that this will tie my hands in future and I won't be able to pursue them again if I need to.

Now, i have no intention whatsoever of getting any more charges, in fact with this money going in I will be only £200 in debt to them (with a £1,200 limit). But sometimes things happen that are outside of your control and I don't want them taking full advantage of a bad/unfortuneate situation for me.

Can I 'edit' the form, eg maybe cross that bit out or add to say " I will not take any further action against cap 1 regarding this matter"?

Can anyone advise please?

But yay they've agreed to refund finally!

Whatever you sign they cannot stop you taking action against future unlawful charges.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

Personally I wouldn't sign in its present form. Either edit as you suggest or add something like 'However I reserve the right to challenge and pursue future unlawful charges' They could withdraw the offer, but its unlikely since the alternative is court.

Not quite the same thing, but Capital One asked me to sign a confidentiality agreement when accepting their offer of a full refund.

I crossed it out, and told them that if this was unacceptable, then they should let me know and I would continue with my court action.

I received a letter, by return, saying that it was my choice not to agree to confidentiality and that their offer was not conditional upon my compliance.

I agree with Alan, they cannot stop you taking future action against unlawful charges, so long as the law remains unchanged.

Just the same as when you agreed and signed their T & C's, an unlawful contract is not worth the paper it is written on.

Take your money and enjoy!!

Phil

Hi,

I had exactly the same letter and I crossed out the "I will not take any further action against Cap 1" part. I sent a cover letter back with it explaining that I was crossing this out because if I recieved any further charges then I would be taking further action.

They still refunded my charges with no mention of the amendment.

Hope this helps,

24/04/06 - Capital One - £170.00 - Court Claim Acknowledged - Defendant intends to defend claim

18/05/06 - Full settlement received (£170.00) + another £20 for charges added after claim issued.

16/05/06 - RBS - Court Claim Submitted - Total £4900 (inc. Interest + Court Fee + Allocation Fee)

22/05/06 - Acknowledged by RBS

16/06/06 - RBS Defence Received

29/06/06 - Settlement offer from Cobbetts LPP £2,500

22/07/06 - Hearing date given as 27th October, York County Court

25/07/09 - Cheque received from Cobbets for £4800!! only £100 to go!!

Thanks for all of the replies.

I will cross out that part and send a covering letter, plus photocopy both for my records incase I should need them in future.

Thanks again...

Carly

Thats a great result!!

By the way is that a Cocker Spanial in your picture?

06th April 2006 Statements requested for last 6 yrs:

Bank of Scotland: Current account Breaching DPA

Royal Bank of Scotland: Style Breaching DPA

Capital One: Mastercard Request for £499.23 on the 17th April. £40 refunded to account on 26th April. Small claim hearing 27th June. Full refund and interest 24th May.

Coop: Crashed and burned into giving in Full and final offered 16 days after LBA ;)

Thats enough just now, more to come though

Well done hun!!! I got the same letter and full refund too.............yayayay!!!

Claim against Capital 1 £713........SETTLED.....Thanks Capital 1!!

On my list:

Barclaycard

Littlewoods

Dorothy Perkins/GE Money

Natwest

HSBC account and mastercard

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks