A New Way of Looking at Interest- 1st successful Claim - N'wide

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In my opinion, it is unreasonable to assert that you as an individual could command an APR of 16% or anything like, as you do not possess the investment power of a financial institution.
I have to say that it is a fair argument, and more so when you consider that we, as customers, do not hold a consumer credit licence.

However, the bank, in being granted the licence and all other privileges, is duty bound to act lawfully. By not doing so, it is breaching the very terms of contract it sets, and therefore the mutuality and reciprocity comes in to force when dealing with those breaches.

The argument is not that we are lending money to the banks at 16%, but that the breaches and penalties are applied at this rate...

To be honest, I expect the bank to argue more about my estimated charges than about the interest rates...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument is not that we are lending money to the banks at 16%, but that the breaches and penalties are applied at this rate...

Yes but there is reasonable recompense for this - in that you can A) calculate what you have unfairly paid and claim it back (interest and all). And b) claim an additional 8% on top. I think the UTCCRs work both ways and we have a responsibilty to ensure that we do not expect the courts to award damages in our favour that would be deemed unfair if the contract was breached the other way. That is to say that the UTCCRs protect us in so much as penalties/charges should not reflect an amount greater than a court would award in general damages for a breach of contract in our favour - we should respect this when claiming damages against the service provider.

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

But looked at another way - if I owed the bank £1,000, and they took me to court to recover it, what interest rate would they claim? You ban bet your bottom dollar it would not be 8% - they would claim a higher rate, and say that losses they incurred justified this...

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

- they would claim a higher rate, and say that losses they incurred justified this...

ya agreed spice. but it goes back to what i said about "them" being a business with accepted overheads and genuine (if limited) administrative costs. We don't have that.

But I will be most intrigued (as you well know) to follow the progress and I am confident that you will prevail!

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

and I am confident that you will prevail!
That makes two of us...now all that remains to be done is for me to shift my butt, and actually get down to writing those letters...

I know this is only slightly relevant, but I have used a different Act for recovering debts in my business life. The legislation that provides small businesses with a mechanism to claim interest on late payments (the fabulously descriptive and surprisingly compact) The Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998.

I know that this legislation SPECIFICALLY excludes consumer credit agreements and that the Act we rely on (CCA1984) is a *totally* different ballgame .... but I think there are some interesting aspects.

The definition of "Interest" that this Act employs is;

1. If the contract has a stated right to charge interest, then the claim cannot include statutory interest - the rate stated in the contract will apply.

2. Statutory interest is calculated by a formula set down by the secretary of state and in doing so, the Sec. of state will consider the following criteria; a) To protect suppliers whose financial position makes them particularly vunerable ... b) To deter generally late payments.

Where it does apply, the rate of statutory interest is not fixed. It is determined by taking the Bank of England base rate at the beginning of each half year and adding 8%. For the first half-year of 2006, the rate is 12.5%. (there is a full list of rates here; http://www.payontime.co.uk/legislation/legislation_main.html [Edit: Link fixed]

As I said - I know this is all very different because it only relates to small businesses taking on customers, but there are a couple of interesting parallels in this legislation - specifically the bit about the interest rate used *MUST* be the one in the contract if stated and that under such circumstances, statutory interest cannot apply.

Does anybody actually have access to the full wording of s.69 of CCA84? And are there any appropriate amendments? How/where would we find such beasts?

• Haha 1

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

I will leave it for the experts to comment on this except to say it is very interesting, and I believe could be relevant.

Could you check the link though please, as it doesn't seem to be working.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

How about, and I know it will take a lot of work, taking the bank statements from the last 6 years. Starting with the opening balance, enter all the transactions that have passed through the account and, by using the rules applied to the account, recalculate what the balance would have been. The difference between this and the balance at the start of the claim would form the basis for the claim.

My LBA is in and my moneyclaim entry is due for Tuesday 6th. I'm prepared for the hours of work involved (estimated 15 hours).

Just 2 questions:

1) Can I claim for time spent preparing? and at what rate? (ok that's 2 questions)

2) is it possible to scan and OCR into a spreadsheet? if so, please tell me how

Steve

(volunteer guinea pig)

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

2) is it possible to scan and OCR into a spreadsheet? if so, please tell me how
It is possible - I know I used to do it with TextBridge Pro.

When scanning you usually have a few options: image, newspaper article, letter, table etc, and it is table that you want.

I think that once the scan has taken place, instead of RTF the file can be saved as CSV, and hence a spreadsheet.

I remember thatthe process was a bugger to get used to, but once familiar, it was relatively straight forward. My only suggestion is to scan and CHECK everything...don't assume that OCR will recognise everything on a statement.

Good luck.

I won't use the OCR method and there 4 different layouts over the six years and a lot of them are fairly poor quality fiche images. I will have a play and see what happens.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

[quote=BankFodder

I can't see that this approach creates any risks for anyone unless it brings the amount claimed over the £5,000 limit. But if it doesn't then there is no problem. If the matter went to court then I would suggest that the N1 was worded to claim the contractual rate of interest or in the alternative, 8% pursuant to section 69 blah blah blah

I thought that the £5000 limit was just the claim amount itself and not the interest itself. I was advised the other day by Jonni2bad that the £5000 limit was before interest not including. Can you clarify this please as different people are saying different things.

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

The £5K limit applies to your claim (charges plus charges interest, plus contractual interest if you are going down that route)

s.69 interest is not includd in the £5K limit, but you cannot charge s.69 PLUS contractual - it is one or the other...

Let me just clarify: the 8% interest that we work out in the exel spreadsheet is the s.69 interest? And your claim for charges could be up to £5000 and this interest is not included in the £5000?

Sorry I am a bit thick

Let me just clarify: the 8% interest that we work out in the exel spreadsheet is the s.69 interest? And your claim for charges could be up to £5000 and this interest is not included in the £5000?

Correct.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Whilst waiting for an answer I rang my local county court and the man there said the £5k limit was including the 8% interest. This is getting very confusing.

Whilst waiting for an answer I rang my local county court and the man there said the £5k limit was including the 8% interest. This is getting very confusing.
We are checking this now...the status has been that the s.69 was NOT included as part of the claim limit of £5K, and this has been what people have been applying to date. However, interest claimed directly in your claim (such as contractual interest) IS included in the limit.

When are you raising your claim?

• Haha 1

Well I am waiting to send my prelim letter at the moment but the amount depends on this answer really.

Any update on this question?

There seems to be a lot of people confused by wether the 8% interest is included in the £5k limit and it seems very hard to get definitive answer. It says in the Lawpack book that interest is included yet I was told it isn't from jonni2bad and others. Does anyone actually know?

CPR 26.8 (2)(b) states that claims for interest should be excluded from the decision on whether a claim should be deemed to be within the £5,000 limit. The lawpack is in error on this, and I understand somebody is currently trying to get in touch with the writers regarding this error.

It would certainly be worth getting back to the person at the court who advised that this was not the case, and ask why they gave the advice they did in the light of CPR 26.8 - we would be interested to hear what their response is.

My understanding is that the total money including interest etc should be entered in the amount claimed box - however, the interest should be disregarded when it comes to deciding on the track.

If your claim is affected by this, to ensure that it goes on the correct track, I would advise including on the Allocation Questionnaire that the claim be heard through Small Claims Track, quoting CPR 26.8 as the reason for your assertion.

• Haha 1

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

The £5K limit applies to the claim only. In most cases this will be penalty charges and penalty interest (where it is applied and claimed for)

Court costs and s.69 interest (8% APR) are NOT included in the £5K limit...this is covered in the Civil Procedure Rules [26.8 (2)] here

If one has been overdrawn and a charge has been made then the bank will have been charging interest on the charge from the date of the charge

therefore to include interest at the overdraft rate used by the bank is consistent ,the unlawful charge is not a one off but a continuing penalty in extra interest on an overdraft,

additionally charging the interest at 8% compounded is also logical because that is what has been foregone by the bank charging the fee and the interest on it

The claimant could have used the money t pay off debts or invest. Both of these are natural and reasonable consequences of the bank's uinlawful actions and are not too remote

see my thread started before I saw this one

If one has been overdrawn and a charge has been made then the bank will have been charging interest on the charge from the date of the charge

therefore to include interest at the overdraft rate used by the bank is consistent ,the unlawful charge is not a one off but a continuing penalty in extra interest on an overdraft,

additionally charging the interest at 8% compounded is also logical because that is what has been foregone by the bank charging the fee and the interest on it

I think you may find that's what my spreadsheet does, but the contractual charge is a replacement for the 8% with their percentage that they charge us.

It's all so complicated, I'm so glad I only have to calculate it and not determine law on it.:confused:

[

I started entering the information into a spreadsheet and after having entered a few days worth of entries decided to put the interest on. I then discovered the as part of my account services that no interest is charged on the first £250 of authorised overdraft. Beyond that it is at 9.9%APR, and unauthorised overdraft is 20% APR. Having scan read through the rest of the account I think it will come to less than an average of the 8% County Court rate. It will work for some people but for me it won't. Do you think that I could use a flat rate of 9.9% as contractual rate? (P.S. it would be lovely to use the 20% figure as I never authorised the withdrawals made by them but cannot see a judge agreeing with me).

What do people think?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks