"New" car from franchised dealer comes without spare key

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Bought a "new" car, used Nissan Micra, 2 years old(so within manufacturers warranty) about a month ago, from a Nissan dealer. After paying, and then later picking up the car, I found it did not have a spare key. As we all know, on modern cars(especially as Micras are keyless entry), the keys are far from cheap, and even more expensive if you lose one. Therefore, not in my opinion a insignificant item - although I freely admit it would not have changed my opinion on purchasing it. These cars all come with spare keys as standard when new.

Asked the garage, who basically said "the car comes with what it comes with", and they could not supply a new spare key for me. My opinion is that, as it was not explicitly stated to me that the car did NOT have a spare key, it is reasonable that I should expect one, due to the age of the car(and it has only done 15k - not really relevant but they obviously sold it on this basis!), as in my opinion for a car of this age, it is along the same lines of asking whether it had a spare tyre - I would expect such things to be present unless otherwise stated. Who is right?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Unfortunately as you bought a "used" car not new then the vehicle like any other used item is "sold as seen" and it is the buyer's responsibility to ensure things like spare keys etc are included in the purchase at the negotiation stage. Remember the old adage-Caveat Emptor(buyer beware) and you won't go far wrong!

ps I have several years experience in the motor trade!!!

Unfortunately as you bought a "used" car not new then the vehicle like any other used item is "sold as seen" and it is the buyer's responsibility to ensure things like spare keys etc are included in the purchase at the negotiation stage. Remember the old adage-Caveat Emptor(buyer beware) and you won't go far wrong!

Actually "sold as seen" is not a legal term for traders to use, and "Caveat emptor" really only relates to private sales, as consumers have statutory rights when buying from a trader.

However, that said, I really don't think that the OP can pursue this particular case as there hasn't been a misrepresentation of the sale; the car isn't actually faulty, it's not misdescribed since no comment was made about the spare key and it is fit for its purpose (to be driven) since there is actually a key provided.

Think it would be far too tricky to prove otherwise.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

...as I said!

No, you didn't. the end result might be the same, but your reasoning as to why was wrong

That said, I wonder if the car was advertised "As new" or any similar phrase?? In which case, there may have been misrepresentation.

OK guys thanks for the views, appreciate it :)

I am still going to hassle them for the key, but guess if they dont they dont!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

You have nothing to lose by asking them if they will provide a spare key. BMW stopped providing spare keys with their new motorcycles in 2005, all they give now is one key and a plastic emergency key. I wrote to them and enquired about this and asked if they would provide me with a proper spare, which they subsequently did.

I have been in the motor vehicle trade for 6 years and personally know that new or used cars sold from a proffesional dealer should have a spare now if the previuos owners have lost the keys so be it but you will eventually need a spare key and if you go to the dealership and complain to managment explain to them you need it if they dont comply advise them you are going to write to the car manufacter company itself telling them they sold you a car 2 years old with no spare key and you require one and feel it neccesarry for warranty reasons. Im sure they will soon give you a key.

• 2 months later...

Hi tricky, you will actually find that is unlawful to describe as vehicle as sold as seen and that trading standards would come down on you like a ton of bricks. I also have many years in the motor trade.

Regarding the spare key, I would persue them vigorously for it. I purchased a 3 year old Toyota Avensis from a used car dealership (not Toyota dealer) and after I queried the spare key he admitted that it really should have one and offered to pay half of the cost of a replacement. Thank god he did, the spare key cost a whopping £160 from Toyota! However, Toyota did say that had I lost the original key I would have been looking at a bill of well over £1000 for replacement of the entire vehicle security system!!!

If they won't give you the total cost I would certainly chase them for some sort of discount towards the cost as a goodwill gesture. A few words with staff spoken in a fairly high voice about the lack of the spare key and how much it's going to cost may provide the remedy you are seeking. :p

• 5 years later...

Hello Guys,

Here is my sad story

I have purchased a Toyota Prius 3 years old. No spare key with it, unfortunately I was not thorough enough to enquire before purchase. I have asked for it later they said they got it without one, also no sevice book with the car, although sevice history was available. I was advised to turn to previous owner, unfortunately this is a leasing company,I could only speak to one of the salesman being really unhelpful saying it was lost by one of the customers and got agitated upon asking for an official certificate it came without a spare key and service book. I am wondering whether there is any way you can legally force them (either previous owner or dealer) to provide you with another spare key (I am afraid not) or any other way to get remedy. I know it is mainly my fault, but it was 3 years old and I am not experienced in buying new cars.

If you bought the car on finance they dealer may have been told to send the spare key to them - there are quite a few finance companies who like to have the spare key in case they want to reposses!

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I thought it was actually on the "Spec" sheet of new cars now, that they came with two keys.

Would they have sold it to you with the rear windscreen wiper missing which is also on the Spec Sheet?

I'd be asking some questions as it is normally a specified item and if it's on paper, it should be with the vehicle.

I thought it was actually on the "Spec" sheet of new cars now, that they came with two keys.

Would they have sold it to you with the rear windscreen wiper missing which is also on the Spec Sheet?

I'd be asking some questions as it is normally a specified item and if it's on paper, it should be with the vehicle.

The difference in this case yukiko, is that the car isn't a new car but a 2 year old car. Having only one ignition key doesn't stop it from fulfilling its requirements as a used car.

Hello Guys,

Here is my sad story

I have purchased a Toyota Prius 3 years old. No spare key with it, unfortunately I was not thorough enough to enquire before purchase. I have asked for it later they said they got it without one, also no sevice book with the car, although sevice history was available. I was advised to turn to previous owner, unfortunately this is a leasing company,I could only speak to one of the salesman being really unhelpful saying it was lost by one of the customers and got agitated upon asking for an official certificate it came without a spare key and service book. I am wondering whether there is any way you can legally force them (either previous owner or dealer) to provide you with another spare key (I am afraid not) or any other way to get remedy. I know it is mainly my fault, but it was 3 years old and I am not experienced in buying new cars.

No there was no finance involved I paid in one sum. Any advice, I suppose I can rely only on their good will gesture that will be probably not much. I am also wondering whether with service history but no service book warranty is still valid???

Thanks in andvance

Ask if it was on finance before being trading in - the finance company may have the spare key.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.