Mercers Debt Collection

Donel261
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3840 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Three months ago I started receiving barclaycard statements for a woman I've never heard of at my address. I live in a detached house, I've never let rooms out and I've lived here nine years. I phoned BC immediately to let them know this....... two months later after six phone calls to BC after six more demands for payment, I receive a letter from Mercers. I phone BC to demand to know why this has been passed to a debt collection agency. More apologies from them and from Mercers. a week later, a letter from Mercers telling me they're sending the boys round. This time I call and read both parties the riot act. More profuse apologies. Then I get a letter of apology from BC!!! included are lines like "Please accept my sincere apologies for any distress receiving this post may have caused you". All over? yeah right. This morning I received a BC statement for this unknown woman asking her to pay the minimum amount or the debt will be passed to Mercers. I am staggered by their incompetence and I just don't know what to do to stop this harrassment. :-x:-x:-x Any ideas? Thanks.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had similar incompetance from HSBC and their debt collectors who send me 6 or 7 letters a months demanding thousands of pounds that I

don't believe (a long story) I owe. This has been going on for over a year now and although I have written many times giving the true circumstances I have never once had a direct reply to any of my points. Now I have taken to stating 'take me to court' but even that elicits no reply just another standard letter but now from a different agency! How does one

get organisatons like this to put up or shut up before I go insane?:-x:-x:-x

Three months ago I started receiving barclaycard statements for a woman I've never heard of at my address. I live in a detached house, I've never let rooms out and I've lived here nine years. I phoned BC immediately to let them know this....... two months later after six phone calls to BC after six more demands for payment, I receive a letter from Mercers. I phone BC to demand to know why this has been passed to a debt collection agency. More apologies from them and from Mercers. a week later, a letter from Mercers telling me they're sending the boys round. This time I call and read both parties the riot act. More profuse apologies. Then I get a letter of apology from BC!!! included are lines like "Please accept my sincere apologies for any distress receiving this post may have caused you". All over? yeah right. This morning I received a BC statement for this unknown woman asking her to pay the minimum amount or the debt will be passed to Mercers. I am staggered by their incompetence and I just don't know what to do to stop this harrassment. :-x:-x:-x Any ideas? Thanks.

throw any letters in the bin

phone BT compliance dept and explain the problem to them

I think all the banks behave in a similar way by farming out their debt collection to other agencies and then take no responsibility for the way

they go about that collection. As they all have very questionable methods of trying to 'trap' a debtor I believe we have a right to protect ourselves. Having a caller display and not answering their numbers or putting them on hold whilst 'finding' someone they want are good ideas. I've also blown a whistle down the phone! Standard letters can be copied and put back in the envelope and returned to sender and if the threat of baliffs is given then the legal wording given in this site can be included with the returned letter. Of course if the debt is correct then it must be addressed but if it is not then one can also request that court action be taken by the bank to recover it as you will not deal with any agency.

I think all the banks behave in a similar way by farming out their debt collection to other agencies and then take no responsibility for the way

they go about that collection. As they all have very questionable methods of trying to 'trap' a debtor I believe we have a right to protect ourselves. Having a caller display and not answering their numbers or putting them on hold whilst 'finding' someone they want are good ideas. I've also blown a whistle down the phone! Standard letters can be copied and put back in the envelope and returned to sender and if the threat of baliffs is given then the legal wording given in this site can be included with the returned letter. Of course if the debt is correct then it must be addressed but if it is not then one can also request that court action be taken by the bank to recover it as you will not deal with any agency.

all good stuff but i am afraid you cannot insist on dealing direct with the bank if the bank has appointed someone to act on its behalf any more that the bank can insist on dealing direct with you if you have appointed someone else to act on your behalf!!

What is it with Mercers & Barclays as a whole? We know they got fined for silent calling yet they still are doing it. We get calls 2/3 times a day from Barclays Partnership Finance; why because we are a DMP and they think we are not paying wnough, yet we can't pay anymore. So we ignore them . This morning it is Mercers turn. WTF. Don't these people realise they have to contact the DMP company and not harress us.

What is it with Mercers & Barclays as a whole? We know they got fined for silent calling yet they still are doing it. We get calls 2/3 times a day from Barclays Partnership Finance; why because we are a DMP and they think we are not paying wnough, yet we can't pay anymore. So we ignore them . This morning it is Mercers turn. WTF. Don't these people realise they have to contact the DMP company and not harress us.

I know it sounds fruitless but unless people do it NOTHING will change. Complain to the OFT, they are going against the debt collection guidelines by not contacting your appointed third party. The more people that complain the more chance something will get done.

S.

I know it sounds fruitless but unless people do it NOTHING will change. Complain to the OFT, they are going against the debt collection guidelines by not contacting your appointed third party. The more people that complain the more chance something will get done.

S.

HSBC's agents refuse to deal with my power of attorney who is acting on my behalf as I suffer from bi-polar mental disorder. I have sent a copy of my doctor's report on my condition but it makes no differance. Are banks outside the law? debtor123

HSBC's agents refuse to deal with my power of attorney who is acting on my behalf as I suffer from bi-polar mental disorder. I have sent a copy of my doctor's report on my condition but it makes no differance. Are banks outside the law? debtor123

two can play that game- get your POA to reply directly to the bank (for the attention of the CEO

Mercers is just a front that Barclays use,when you answer any letters or calls you are basically talking to Barclays....they also use Calder Financial as a front but they all use the same address and if you phone them you'll find you are talking to a Barclays employee....all a bit underhand if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes because you slag us off for our actions and yet our shares are among few banks to be increasing and we have not asked for any help.

I would be interested to know... if you were owed 5.3 Billion which is currecnty our impairment figure, would you accept £1.00 per month and how would you debt collect on this amount??

I dont think there are many people 5.3 billion in debt!!! A few hundred is a drop in the ocean compared to that sort of figure. If we cant afford more than £1 a month then thats all you will get. Its a matter of CANT not WANT!

Thank you 'banker rhymes with'.

Im just sick of these so called debt collectors trying to frighten people to give money they cant afford. I cant believe they are still doing it and not all thrown in jail with the rest of the criminals!!!

Im now ignoring their calls and paying what i can afford.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mercers the bad and vile arm of barclaycard, have been contacting me around 8-16 per day 7 days a week. Court action pending. Barclaycard state this is untrue as they only contact customers twice a day. I would be happy to hear from anyone who has been harassed and threatened. They have sent door stop debt collecters to the house, twice in 2 months and seem to have women with the most vile voices and accents to threaten personal visits etc

Hi CL....this is shocking behaviour....have you sent this letter ? (send recorded if you haven't) Make sure you write down all the exact times and dates they call you too...

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of CPUTR2008, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to, FOS, OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully/sincerely

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]