Mercers Debt Collection

Donel261
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3840 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am new to this forum, i just thought i would google Mercers and this is where i ended up !!! I had a phone call of them tonight asking me to give them answers to my security questions lol which i didn't do as i told the lad that as he called me so he should know them !!!! He soon put the phone down, I am in arrears but only missed 1 payment have always paid something whether it £40 - £100 p/m and B'card have passed my debt across the floor to Mercers !!! I spoke to B'card 2 months ago and agreed a monthly payment but my statements are not reflecting this, I live abroard so dont have access to alot of facilities that you guys in uk have

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Purplemoon,

Welcome to CAG.

Barclays must be getting really desperate if they are passing you over to Mercers after one missed payment - and calling you abroad.

It will be interesting to see what their profits are this year. There has been a lot about their debts, and they seem to be trying to scrape in everything rather more frantically than usual at the moment.

DD

Hi All

Yes yet another CAG member being chased by Mercers on behalf of Barclaycard over a disputed debt. Have been reading this thread and found some very interesting information here.

Has anyone actually requested information from companies house about these people. I see from companies house web site that Mercers filed new accounts for last year and is still marked as a dormant company, and that their are no UK establishments associated this this company.

So three questions.

1) If Mercers are as we suspect owned by Barclay's then the information held by companies house is incorrect and possibly breaches the companies act by filing false reports.

2) If Barclaycard are just using Mercers name for inhouse debt collection then is their a breach of the Fraud Act 2006 section's 1 to 4 for false representation.

3) When speaking to an agent from Mercers they always introduce them selves as being from Mercers and are acting as agents for Barclaycard therefore do Mercers have a consumer credit licence. (Why would they need one for a dormant company).

Hi All

Yes yet another CAG member being chased by Mercers on behalf of Barclaycard over a disputed debt. Have been reading this thread and found some very interesting information here.

Has anyone actually requested information from companies house about these people. I see from companies house web site that Mercers filed new accounts for last year and is still marked as a dormant company, and that their are no UK establishments associated this this company.

So three questions.

1) If Mercers are as we suspect owned by Barclay's then the information held by companies house is incorrect and possibly breaches the companies act by filing false reports.

2) If Barclaycard are just using Mercers name for inhouse debt collection then is their a breach of the Fraud Act 2006 section's 1 to 4 for false representation.

3) When speaking to an agent from Mercers they always introduce them selves as being from Mercers and are acting as agents for Barclaycard therefore do Mercers have a consumer credit licence. (Why would they need one for a dormant company).

write to companies house with one of their letters and ask how they can be a dormant company when they are making demands for people to pay debts to them so presumably money must be passing through their accounts

Hi All

Just had another call form Mercers asking me to confirm security details.

I asked them to confirm for me that they are a privately owned company and infact hold a credit licence. He put the phone down.

So a letter going of to Companies House and OFT copied to Mercers C/O Barclaycard C/O Barclays Bank

Hi Guys

Well i have been inundated with calls who i presume are from mercers as number is withheld, i am getting on average 8-10 calls a day, i will give them 10/10 for persistence, i am going to try and ring Barclaycard to find out what is going on if i can find someone who understands what i am saying, the last time i got through it was to a call centre in india !!! using the telephone number on the statement, as i live abroad calls are not freephone and some numbers i am unable to ring as they are 0800 or 0844 so i get passed around alot !!

If anyone can help with Barclaycard Tele no would be much appreciated

thanks

Right glad we got that sorted....:D

There is no form for the S78 request it is a letter.

IMO there is little point in sending it because all you will receive is maybe a blank agreement and some terms and conditions.

Have a read of this -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/173201-why-you-shouldnt-use.html

Hi All

I have just downloaded some reports from Companies House re Mercers They are owned by Barcosec new registered address 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.

PS also have names of directors

Edited by bmwman

Hello People this is my own experience with mercers and i will quote exactly the way they wrote me.

Despite our previous communications,you have failed to contact us or pay the full outstanding balance.YOU MUST PAY TO US THE FULL SUM OF £8281 WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE DATES OF THIS LETTER.

failure to pay could result in one or more of the following consequences:

- Legal action by summons which may cause you considerable expense

- Enforcement of any unpaid judgement by execution upom goods by a bailiff

- Enforcement of any unpaid judgement by attachment of current or future salary

- A local collector calling at your home to secure full repayment

- Your ability to obtain credit,including mortages,may be adversely affected

In order to avoid the above action you must make an immediate payment of £8281

the problem here that i can't afford to pay that amount even as little as £10 a month would be very difficult for me due to the fact dat i don't have a job.

Please any suggestions please.Thanks

Hi

Barclaycard dont have any enforceable pre April '07 credit agreements.

To prove this to yourself, send them a s.78(1) request for a copy of your own.

Where do i get this from?? :confused:

Thanks

Purplemoon, sorry to disagree but it would appear I may be the exception!

My card is a 2004 Morgan Stanley, Goldfish, and now Barclaycard. They sent an application form headed Consumer Credit Agreement signed by me and them which seems to include everything, although there is a strong suspicion of "doctoring/cut & paste"

Purplemoon, sorry to disagree but it would appear I may be the exception!

My card is a 2004 Morgan Stanley, Goldfish, and now Barclaycard. They sent an application form headed Consumer Credit Agreement signed by me and them which seems to include everything, although there is a strong suspicion of "doctoring/cut & paste"

Did they send the application in response to s78 or a subject access request... have you posted a copy up for others to take a look?

S.

Hi Shadow,

Yes it was in response to a s78 request.

Opinion seems to be a bit divided as to whether it is enforceable or not but I'm pessimistic!.

I would really appreciate if you could take a look if possible, it's under thread "Morgan Stanley/ Barclaycard - is this enforceable" posted yesterday. Not sure how to provide a link