British Gas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We left British Gas in August last year (both gas and elec.) and moved to Scottish Power. When we had a final electricity bill from them a month or so later, I could see a £20 cancellation fee had been added, so I rang them to query it. They told me it was because we had opted in to their price protection plan, and that was the charge for leaving early. Assunimg it was something my partner had done without my knowledge, I said OK and paid the full amount.

3 weeks ago, we got sent our final gas bill. This time there was a £30 cancellation charge added. Before calling them to see why I'd been charged it a second time, I checked with my partner who told me he couldn't remember opting in to any price protection plan. So I rang them, explaing that neither of us could remember opting into this. They told me that we must have signed something opting in. As we couldn't remember doing this, we asked for a copy of the signed form.

I didn't hear anything for a week or two so rang them again. Now they say there is no form and that it was a verbal contract, which neither of us remembers entering into. They say we have to pay it, or they'll cancel the plan and re-calculate our bills at the higher rate and we'll owe them much more.

Where do we stand with this? If there's no proof of contract, have they got a leg to stand on?