Council Tax Valuation moved my band up - Chances for appeal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I bought my current house in December 2021.

The house is a 1996 build but an extension was built in 2001, so way before my time and the previous owners' as well.

I just got a letter stating that because the extension had not been featured in the original banding my band would be going up (C to D). I am told I can appeal.

Needless to say I am not very happy about this, as my mortgage payments are already going up by 60% very soon (thanks Liz!) I feel kinda cheated that soonafter moving in they are raising the price.

Have looked up the banding of other houses in my street and it's a real mixed bag. For houses of similar values (according to Zoopla) it's a 50/50 mix of C and D. There are even houses with more value that are still flagged as C.

Does an appeal have any chances of success?

• How do you calculate the 1991 value of a house that didn't exist in 1991, with a further extension...?
  • If that extension has existed for 20 years shouldn't there be a statute of limitations? Can I argue the banding was established by its long duration?
  • DId the owners in 2001 neglect their duty when building the extension? 
  • Is mortgage and energy bills increase a valid reason to ask for a stay?

Appreciate the time to leave your opinion.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for these, the tool to calculate '91 value is pretty good. I think I can appeal on the grounds that many neighbouring properties of a similar size are in the lower bracket.

I'd have thought that the fact that the property has existed for 22 years under a specific band would be a strong argument, but it was shocking to read how haphazardly the banding was originally done, and that it's never been properly organised ever since. Shocking from a self proclaimed world-leading economy...

Either way I'll be discretely checking out neighbouring properties and building up a list for my appeal. I'll do this discretely and make sure my numbers line up, as if I screw up every single neighbour's bills might go up instead of mine going down 🥴

If anyone has experience going through the process and would like to give some hints, I'd very happy take a few!

No, I received a letter out of the blue saying my house would be re-evaluated, then 2 weeks later, this.

Edit: and the reason they stated was because of the extension works that were done on the house. Funny that they would notice now. Maybe the council is scraping the bottom of the drawers for extra cash...

Edited by Kyosanto

Vaguely remembered a friend going through this, so did a search...

https://cbcsolicitors.co.uk/property-alterations/

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

That's interesting @Nicky Boy, I didn't know that.

The information on the link concerns Scotland but the equivalent legislation for England is in the Council Tax (Alteration of Lists and Appeals) (England) Regulations 2009 and I imagine the same procedure is followed. 

As far as I can see @Kyosanto there is no obligation on the owner to notify the VOA when making building alterations so the owner in 2001 has not failed in any duty to notify.. And I'm certain that the VOA will not consider rises in mortgage and energy bills valid grounds of appeal. Still, include it your appeal and see what they say.

Hi all. Is there a way I can easily check historical banding for my property or do I need to write to the council/Valuation office?

I somewhat suspect that the C banding was attributed post expansion and that it would have been a B before.

Cant you check with a long established neigbour ? Council tax bands are based on property values as at 1st April 1991.

https://valuationtribunal.gov.uk/council-tax-appeals/council-tax-banding-appeal/preparing-evidence/

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread