CTAX benefit mistake, paid the £1200 owed - will i get a caution or interviews?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 333 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello
so I a couple of weeks I received a new council tax bill with an overpayment of 1200   For council tax reduction for I believe not reporting a change of circumstances of a non dependent    I have paid it off.  No other letters so far just revised bill. 

now as you do o went down the Google rabbit hole and scared myself silly.  

I have two questions 

firslty, what should I be expecting to happen next.  Will it be an interview under caution?  Should I prepare with legal advice now or wait to see what happens

Secondly.  I’m reading that they don’t generally  prosecute under £2000 
my actual overpayment is 1200 and another 1400 for this year which obviously they have stopped   Which would add up to 2600.  Which amount will they consider. 

Please don’t judge.  I made an error and have paid up

Nothing may happen, as the overpayment was dealt with.

It is only if there are other changes in circumstances that you have not told them about, where they may contact you. And even then  they would send a letter saying that they want to check your current circumstances and ask for information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

nothing more can happen! its paid.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to CTAX benefit mistake, paid the £1200 owed - will i get a cation or interview?

Nothing will happen, you have paid up. Even if you hadn't paid up then they would have attempted to come to an arrangement with you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• dx100uk changed the title to CTAX benefit mistake, paid the £1200 owed - will i get a caution or interviews?

I’m asking because I have read other threads where even after paying an overpayment and a couple months down the line people have received surprise letters for an interview under caution.

Others have mentioned that a investigation for possible fraud is separate to whether the overpayment is paid off or not

wont happen. stop looking for scare stories

most of which are from scammers wanting money to help you.

stick to CAG.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We don't think you will be asked to attend an interview, unless there are other changes of circumstances not yet informed about.

If you claim for Housing rent, make sure you advise whoever pays the housing about the non dependent.

Thankypu    Scare stories seem to be unavoidable with Google.   Same as when you type in an illness and everything says cancer.  

but the councils own website states payment of an overpayment  should not be the only consideration on a decision to prosecute 

no housing involved nor any othe undeclared changes