PPL PRS/Pannone - claimform - unpaid auto rolled music performance licence for online Zumba Classes that closed months before rollover.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well they have taken subscription fee for a service they can no longer provide as per my last post.....they wont withdraw unless you do so ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Doesn't quite answer my ?'n. Their claim is based on:

1. their T&C's and the enforcement thereof, and

2. on an implied contract that incorporates those same T&C's, even though:

A) No actual written/signed contract exists, and, in any event,

B) They unilaterally abrogated that contract mid-stream by their own admission that they no longer have the authority to represent their clients as far as fitness classes are concerned. So by definition, there can no longer be any T&C's to which they can insist on compliance, nevermind continue to demand or take payment for licences that they can no longer issue.

At the very least, the unilateral change of circumstances in their own agency implies either:

1. A technical breach of contract by the claimant that precedes any lack of compliance to their T&C's by the defendant, or

2. The want of a new contract and/or set of T&C's that take account of their abrogation of an existing implied contract, and the defendant's signature on same - even though they no longer have the legal authority to issue either.

I appreciate the C/Claim is a separate matter, but bearing in mind the circs of their initial claim and their baseless but successful extortion of revenue to which they had no title - with menaces, I would have thought that her C/Claim had a much better than 50:50 chance of succeeding.

But OK, if you still think I'm flogging a dead horse here, I'll advise her to settle.  

Take the win, agree to drop the CClaim if they drop their claim. I’m not sure on the timings but could there still be the possibility of a chargeback or Section 75 claim for the previous years?  Mainly due to them being unable to provide the service you have paid them for?

All the points you raise a very true its a scam  with a scam working model which renders results and profit in  the main......now if your daughter can get versed up in contract law and be able to successfully argue those points in court probably against a Solicitor or possibly a Barrister then go for it. (just be aware that if they bring a Barrister in to represent their claim your looking at costs in the region of 5K for the hour.

But then again they wont with draw until she does....that's their offer.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

@Racer_Bod - They have 'previous' on this. Their MO (as per several Trustpilot reviews) is to tell their hapless victims who challenge their fake invoices "pay it for now, then we can refund you later after the query has been resolved."

They never do, of course. They rely on their victims who fall for that ruse not having the stomach for a fight. So no, only legal recourse will force them to cough up. Half-cocked measures won't work with this outfit.

@Andyorch - I doubt my d'r is up for that, but what if I take it up on her behalf? Ie, she stays out of it completely - no court appearance. Just a statement from her that I read out in court?

I hear ya about costs, but even if I lost the c/claim, how likely is it that the judge will award them costs? Based on the evidence in our favour, a decision that goes against her on the c/claim must be, at worst, by the narrowest possible margin.

If I'm right, isn't it just as likely that the judge will direct that we pay our own costs? 

It's been a while since I studied contract law (it was a module in my AAT), but I reckon it wouldn't take me that long to get back into the swing of things. And yes, I fancy my chances even against a barista. But £5k an hour for making me coffee?

C'mon now. 

2 hours ago, Beesnees said:

I hear ya about costs, but even if I lost the c/claim, how likely is it that the judge will award them costs?  Very likely loser pays the succeeding parties costs Based on the evidence in our favour, a decision that goes against her on the c/claim must be, at worst, by the narrowest possible margin. Judge either decides in the favour of the claimant claim or the defendants CC, he could dismiss the whole claim./CC ??

If I'm right, isn't it just as likely that the judge will direct that we pay our own costs?  Yes plus theirs if you lose.

Andy

@Andyorch - "Very likely loser pays the succeeding parties costs."

Hmm ... You sure about that Andy?

Costs orders for a losing party to pay the winning party's legal costs are therefore very unusual. On the Small Claims Track, parties are expected to bear their own costs, even if they pursue a successful claim.

and ...

The general rule in small claims track cases is that no costs may be awarded against the losing party, except for the fixed costs which the successful party has had to pay for issuing the claim and other court fees.

Comments?

Here's my problem. Letting them off the hook that easily after what they did to her doesn't sit so well with me. Our c/claim is a lot bigger than their spurious claim, so there is no quid pro quo here. So what if I made a counter offer? We'll drop our c/claim on payment of:

1. The overpayments she made under duress after multiple threats of litigation, and

2. We'll reduce our claim for the stress, etc., from £1k to £500.

Failing which, see them in court.

And why the apparent pessimism about our chances of success? Doesn't their own June '21 unilateral abrogation of what is, at best, little more than an implied contract sink their claim without a trace?

No signed contract 

No letter of claim

No response (to date) to my CPR31.14/15 request.

Over 200 independent on-line reviews (incl. one from a solicitor) that excoriate them and their reprehensible MO.

Seriously, how much more evidence do I need? Tell me I'm wrong, and on a hiding to nothing.

Edited by Beesnees

2 hours ago, Beesnees said:

Hmm ... You sure about that Andy?

Positive take a look at other topics we have lost in the SCT in the financial legal Issues forum. Costs can be awarded in SCT at the court discretion.

Under Part 27 of the Civil Procedure Rules that govern civil disputes, the court will rarely make an order for the losing party to pay sums in respect of the winning party’s ‘costs, fees and expenses’, e.g. legal fees.

There are exceptions to the general rule however which allow the court discretion to make an award for:

The fixed costs attributable to issuing the claim;

Court fees paid by the issuing party;

Travel and accommodation expenses which a witness reasonably incurs in attending a hearing;

Fees incurred in the instruction of an expert to attend the hearing (limited to £200).

To assist the judge in calculating awards of costs, Part 45 of the Civil Procedure Rules sets out a number of tables detailing what costs can be recovered by a successful party litigating on the Small Claims Track. These tables can be found on the justice.gov.uk website and vary according to the status, judgment and enforcement of the claim.

As a caveat to the general rules on costs, it must be stated that if a party brings an unreasonable small claim that obviously fails, or defends a claim by acting unreasonably and subsequently loses, the court has discretion to make a punitive order for that party to pay the other side’s costs.

Having said that I wish in no way to deter you from trying to negotiate a settlement say if they would be prepared to offer your CC fee and partial refund of subscriptions paid then you would be happy to drop the CC...negotiate see what transpires.