Caught shoplifting in Sainsbury's, and worried about follow-up.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, welcome to CAG.

Let's slow this down a bit as you're rushing ahead. It's almost guaranteed not to go to court and if you read around this forum you won't see anyone who's posted here has been to court.

The police weren't involved so there can't be any kind of penalty from them.

What you may get is a letter from a civil firm like Retail Loss Prevention or as it's Sainsbury's, it could be some lawyers called DWF, I think it is.

They can't do anything to do apart from write begging letters because only their client can take you to court. We don't know of a retailer who's done this over minor shoplifting since the Oxford case which is on here and it was a while ago.

There's only so much we can say to alleviate your concerns, you need have a read of plenty of threads here to see how this happens. You'll see there have been no court cases and if the OP hasn't come back to update their thread, you can only assume that no news is good news.

I suggest you book to see your GP to see if there's an underlying medical or mental reason for you doing this. They've heard it all and should be able to either prescribe something or tell you where you might get help.

Best, HB

• Like 2
  • I agree 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Well I wouldn't go back to that branch of Sainsbury's for a while. But you have to find a way to stop shoplifting because if you carry on things will get worse and someone might call the police in the end.

If you read my other reply, I've covered court already and said it's highly, highly unlikely. But you aren't going to see your GP for an alibi if you ever need one, it's to look after yourself and hopefully get to the bottom of why this happened.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum