OVO under-estimated bills now huge bill!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I finally found out how to read our meter its not easy to get at and being a dual reading meter had to figure out how to read it. I've now put in readings along with gas which was slightly over as well, meaning I'm now apparently 3.5k in debt. I mean with these new figures being retrofitted into my bill they are attempting to tell me I spent 700 quid on electricity in Jan, when we dont use electricity for heating at all. Its cooking, lighting and the usual domestic stuff. We dont even have a tumble dryer. I'm going to have to speak to them I guess and I will now be tottering on a stool every month to get a damn reading, but what are they like with payment plans? I also have to catch up with some other stuff, so currently at 267 a month. Was going to say I'll do £400 max. Things should start to even out anyway with us coming into spring and summer anyway.

Hi, I finally found out how to read our meter its not easy to get at and being a dual reading meter had to figure out how to read it.

I've now put in readings along with gas which was slightly over as well, meaning I'm now apparently 3.5k in debt.

I mean with these new figures being retrofitted into my bill they are attempting to tell me I spent 700 quid on electricity in Jan, when we dont use electricity for heating at all. Its cooking, lighting and the usual domestic stuff.

We dont even have a tumble dryer.

I'm going to have to speak to them I guess and I will now be tottering on a stool every month to get a damn reading, but what are they like with payment plans?

I also have to catch up with some other stuff, so currently at 267 a month.

Was going to say I'll do £400 max.

Things should start to even out anyway with us coming into spring and summer anyway.

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured in order to make it readable

Firstly, please would you make your posts properly spaced and structured so that they are easier to read especially on a small screen such as a telephone.

Secondly, please could you go through for herself and very carefully and a bullet pointed chronology.

there is no getting away from you owing the money.

however carefully look at the readings for jan, it cant have been all that month

when was your last reading before that

and how long have you been at the property?

time to request smart meters me thinks?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've been here for about 4 years.

Its been a while since the last manual reading (Could be pre-covid thinking about it) as its quite difficult to access the meter where its at. 

Even the meter readers have given up on at least one occasion in the past.

Now kicking myself for not letting sleeping dogs lie and left it with the estimated readings. 

Like I said not denying owing the money or anything just 3.5k all at once is not going to happen.

I'm just wondering how they will react to being told I'll agree to £400 a month at most.

I'm assuming the new historic bills are just updated to take into account the new manual readings and its just been an historic under estimate.

However given that its now only 2 of us in the house, and our usage will have dropped considerably due to getting rid of tumble dryer, switching washing programs to 20C, Lizard going to live with step daughter in her new home etc etc.

no they should be ok 

just dont let them railroad you.

pers i pay all my bills by bacs  not DD.

now what about smart meters? they are free - problem going fwd solved.

you've been there 4yrs and cant remember your last reading, blimey, somewhat of your own doing IMHO.

if you can latterly prove, by monthly readings/bills going fwd, the sum now owing does seem excessive, you can complain later with data recently collected.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I don't trust smart meters, top and bottom of it.

Numerous repeatable, reports of misreading's from reputable sources and not your normal internet crazies.

I also don't like the amount of control you are handing over to the supplier.

They can swap you over to prepay or cut you off remotely with no warrant or anything needed. 

The reason I've not done manual readings before is its 8-9 ft high in the porch of our house, I have problems with my feet and balance is poor and when I get up there my eyesight isnt the best without my reading glasses.

My wife is shorter than am I but with even more health issues she'd struggle even more without a step ladder.

Given that its a dual meter reading I needed to get in properly close to it to read it, not looking forward to doing that on a monthly basis I can tell you but at least I can see what's going on.

oh please stop believing in silly conspiracy theories..and putting up excuses.

they CANNOT just swap you over to another tariff nor just 'cut you off'

this issue is solely of your own doing and has existed for years without you doing a thing about sorting it yourself over all this time.

dx

and they