EDF Arrears and Themis Debt Collection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CAG,

My gas and electricity supplier has been EDF since 2001, and I need urgent help to resolve some of the issues I’m having please.

There are arrears on the account, but based on estimated readings over several years, these cannot be accurate. EDF have attempted to setup monthly direct debits of over £400 and have twice taken, without warning amounts of over £1000.

On every call to EDF I am required to give meter readings and it appears that these readings have not been recorded accurately. In addition to the incorrect billing, my electric meter has a zero as the first digit. EDF insist this zero is not relevant. Is this correct?

Every time I call, they “recalculate” and give me a different amount for usage and arrears. Over several phone calls they have lost, found, and disputed sets of meter readings. This has just added to my confusion.

I have also tried to setup payment plans and EDF are making this impossible. They will not accept my payment plan offers and always pressure me into accepting an unaffordable arrangement. I make payments as often as possible but can’t meet their demands.

As a vulnerable customer who is also on a low income, I have only recently been added to a Safeguard Tariff. EDF have been aware of my circumstances and have failed to add me onto this tariff from its commencement.

They’ve threatened bailiffs and a PAYG smart meter, they have also threatened court action and a warrant to change the meter. There are also vulnerable dependants in the property who would be traumatised by someone forcing entry.

I have already submitted a SAR request and received 6 months of incomplete records. EDF agreed to my request to give me 90 days to investigate my account. However, they have now sent my account to Themis Debt Recovery.

Having begun to take readings manually, the gas and electricity usage is far below their estimated bills. I really need to find out:

·      how much I owe them

·      how I can pay for my usage plus a small affordable amount for arrears.

·      How to deal with Themis and get the account back to EDF

you ignore themis anyway they are a powerless dca, and i believe they were/are edf's own fake/internal dca anyway.

a dca is not a bailiff

and have 

zero legal powers on  any debt

no matter what its type.

state your propsals to edf directly, esp if they have been historically ignoring your reading and using higher etimates

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sounds like you really need to submit a formal complaint to EDF and to get the Energy Ombudsman involved. 

WWW.OMBUDSMAN-SERVICES.ORG

Do you have an unresolved complaint about your gas or electricity provider? Find out how we may be able to help.

You need to have your account fully reviewed to see what you actually owe based on energy usage, rather than estimates.

I think the gas meter reading has a shorter number with a zero first, which you would enter and they ignore. They are purely looking at how many kwh of energy you have used.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2022 at 19:32, Nomyrealname said:

On every call to EDF I am required to give meter readings and it appears that these readings have not been recorded accurately. In addition to the incorrect billing, my electric meter has a zero as the first digit. EDF insist this zero is not relevant. Is this correct?

I could be missing something, but you need to check this

I had a meter replaced and its initial reading was about 00027 or some such - so i've been giving accurate reading with leading zero(s) for quite some time - which I have to enter in the online reading entry portal for a correct reading

If they are refusing to accept a leading zero, that MAY had added huge amounts to their 'bill calculation.

Take a photo of that meter reading and send it in and follow up with them on it. Also check the reading on you account and make sure there are NOT any trailing zeros added to the numbers

(If they had doubts they should have asked for a photo)

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Like 1

Why trust doctors and science, when you can trust the internets:

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

“The fossil fuel industry is feasting on subsidies and windfall profits

while household budgets shrink and our planet burns"

UN secretary general Antonio Guterres