Child maintenance payments, never paid a penny. Please advise.

Paul Walton
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm try to help out a friend. Over 40 years ago she fell pregnant ( as it was called then) Anyway the 'gentleman' concerned did a runner and lived overseas. Sue me if you want to, a real charmer. Now the lady in question is ill, her daughter now in her 40's with her own children.

The 'gentleman' in question has now moved back to the UK and has a very expensive property.

Couple of questions:

1. Can the mother still chase him for never paying a penny?

2. Can a charge be registered against the property ?

3. What if the mother dies before it's completed - can it form part of her estate?

It's a nasty one indeed.

It's been suggested by the site team that the mother could start by contacting the CMS which is what the CSA changed its name to. What I'm really not sure about is how far back they're able to look if this case has never been raised before.

HB

WWW.GINGERBREAD.ORG.UK

This factsheet is for single parents who are thinking of using the Child Maintenance Service (CMS).

Illegitimi non carborundum

There is no such thing as a "register of next of kin", nor does next of kin have a specific meaning in English law, nor do next of kin have any automatic claim on anyone's estate.

It is unnecessary anyway as he is named as the father on his daughter's birth certificate so agreed at birth registration he was the father.

But children do not have an automatic right to a share of their parents estate. It's a complex area of law.

I agree CMS probably can't help but I recommend starting with a call to them for any guidance they can give before spending money on lawyers.

• Like 1