If you are Disabled and cannot read you Meters due to access or the meter itself, can you get them Moved? YES

stu007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you are Disabled and cannot read you Meters due to access or the meter itself, can you get them Moved? YES

The answer is YES you can as Part III of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 which is now part of the Equality Act 2010 it requires that all those providing a Service to “Make Reasonable Adjustments” in providing there services.

Electricity

Schedule 6, para 1 of the Electricity Act 1989, states. "Where an electricity supplier, for the purpose of meeting the needs of a disabled person - (a) alters the position of an electricity meter provided by him for a customer of his; or (b) replaces such a meter with one which has been specially adapted, the supplier shall not charge the customer for the alteration or replacement."

Electricity Act 1989

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to provide for the appointment and functions of a Director General of Electricity Supply and of consumers’ committees for the electricity supply...

Gas

Schedule 2B, para 6 of the Gas Act 1986 states. “Where in the case of any consumer, the gas transporter or a relevant gas supplier, for the purpose of meeting the needs of a Disabled person – (a) alters the position of any gas meter which is owned by the transporter or supplier and is lent or hired to the consumer or – (b) replaces such a meter with one that is specially adapted, the transporter or supplier shall not charge the consumer for the alteration or replacement.”

Gas Act 1986

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to provide for the appointment and functions of a Director General of Gas Supply and the establishment and functions of a Gas Consumers’...

If you are Disabled and cannot read your meter due to access to that meter or it is in the wrong place for you to be able to read your meter speak to your Energy Supplier about having your meter moved and explain the issues you are having.

If need be and they try to give an excuse not to remind them of the above obligations for Electricity or Gas or Both stated above.

I myself am a Disabled Veteran and used the above with my own Energy Supplier a couple of years ago as I had the old turn meter but could read nor access it in the cupboard it was in and my Energy Supplier was more than reasonable. They came out seen the issue themselves moved the meter to right beside the cupboard door and changed the meter to a large Digital Meter where you couldn’t not see the readings as the Digital dial was large.

So Do Not be afraid to ask your Energy Supplier they are there to assist you if you are Disabled always bear that in mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

In a previous property where I lived, I had a key meter, but because the meter was at the top of the wall and I have a disability, they had to swap it out for a normal meter.

Frederickson - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - Lost - Claiming back from post office

Connaught Collections - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - No Agreement - returned to client

Lowell - CCA sent 11/4/07 - No agreement - returned to client

Moorcroft - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - No Agreement - returned to client

Red Castle - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - Copy returned but no T&C's

Robinson Way - CCA Sent 16/5/07