Loan to Ex partner

NTscott22
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took out a loan for a car for my Ex partner for £8000 in August and I paid the car company by credit cards .The agreement was that she would make payments . The car was registered in her name now she is refusing to pay anything towards the debt.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks 

Is the agreement between you and your ex-partner in writing?  What evidence do you hold that she agreed to make the payments?

How did the repayments work? Are you paying the your credit card bills  and your ex-partner is repaying you? 

Does your ex-partner still have the car? 

What reason has your ex-partner given you for refusing to pay?

The agreement was a verbal initially that she with cover the payments of the loan ,which I also have in writing in text messages . I then put the agreement in writing and sent over a copy of the contract which she has not signed or returned.

My Ex partner still has the car  and V5 in her name with  no payments that have been made by her , I am paying the payments on the Credit card .

No reasons given for non payments, refusing now to take my calls .

Thanks 

got you by the tight and curlies sadly.

are there divorce proceedings involved?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dont think a text msg cuts it, they can be faked?

see what others think.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Who is the legal owner of the car? Your ex-partner is the registered keeper but that isn't evidence that she is also the legal owner. Being registered keeper doesn't make someone the legal owner.

Have you still got the documents - especially the invoice -  from when the car was bought? Do the documents show that you are buying the car or your ex-partner?

Normally I'd be thinking that starting a court action to recover your loan is the obvious thing to do  (how much does she owe you by the way?)

I can see two hurdles for you

(1) Lack of written evidence that she agreed it was loan that she would repay. The text is far from ideal evidence but might be sufficient, especially if she doesn't deny she sent it. Depends what it says.

(2) Courts typically regard agreements between people who are a couple, who are one family, as family arrangements that weren't intended to create legal contracts. ie, in effect the court might decide that it was a gift from you to your partner. However the text might be sufficient to show a contractual agreement was intended. Again, depends what it says.

I'm not a lawyer so even if I knew what the text says I couldn't say whether it's sufficient to start a court action. And in any case, as dx says, because texts aren't hard to fake she could simply deny it came from her.

Let's see if others have an opinion on this.

A verbal agreement can still be legally binding and carry weight in litigation. But, it’s important to realise that not all verbal agreements will be. 

It’s the same for written agreements. Some written agreements will be legally binding and others won’t be. It all depends on the substance or contents of the agreement itself and whether or not the elements of a contract are present.

Therefore, whether your agreement is verbal or written, if your agreement has all the elements of a binding contract, then it’ll be binding.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

@NTscott22  If you want to pursue this further I believe the only route open to you is a small claims court action.

But before you start that one question: does your ex-partner have any money to pay you the £8k if you win the court action? Presumably she didn't have the ready cash or she wouldn't have asked you for a loan. Does she have other sources of funds to meet an £8k claim? Or would you be dependent on her having to sell the car (likely to raise less than she owes you I'd have thought)?

There's not much point financially in bringing a claim against someone who can't pay you even if you win. That's just throwing good money after bad.

• Like 1