Sister's ex stole furniture and assaulted her, police refuse to act

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My sister and her previous live-in partner broke up months ago, she's now with someone else. Today, her ex came back and started removing stuff from a lock up at the bottom of the garden, which he'd broken into previously, so the lock was broken. He took a load of stuff that belonged to my sister, repeatedly pushing her over as she tried to prevent him.

The police were called but they said there's nothing they can do as the theft was a civil matter, and the assault was her word against his. How long after a break up would this actually be considered criminal?

Realise the impotence of proofreading everything you write.

On the basis of what you say here, the police are talking rubbish.

The theft and the damage is a criminal matter and so is the assault.

You could take your own civil actions if you want. I would certainly begin by writing to the police and describing exactly what happened and logging a formal complaint against them. This might start to attract some attention.

I should certainly make a list of anything that is missing and also take pictures of any damage which has been caused.

It's up to you if you want to take further action – civil action for damages. We can help you

• Like 1

Make a complaint | Independent Office for Police Conduct

I'd also make a complaint to your local Police and Crime Commissioner.  (They won't interfere in police "operational" matters but you could complain that the police appear to be operating a policy of ignoring what are clearly criminal offences on the spurious grounds that they are "domestic" differences.)