Potential scam from private seller

Sesamebread
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone, 

I need some advice about a situation I am currently in - as a seller took advantage of my kindness and patience. I should've never gone for it but it's too late for that now. 

I found an iphone I wanted to buy from facebook marketplace and agreed with the seller to send it to me. This was done privately on whatsapp (not on marketplace) and the money sent was via bank transfer (before you say; yes I know this was very stupid of me!) on the 18th of August. 

The seller is a quite old lady who did not use the phone and consequently chose to sell it. She sent me her address as well as her driving license and passport - and I know that she is real and not someone pretending to be her. So she went to the post office and posted the phone without consulting me about the service she'd send the parcel. She did send me photos of her at the post office however along with the parcel. Yet, she did not give me a receipt or tracking number - and even though I kept asking, the communication was (and still is) bad from her end. 

I understand that royal mail is struggling and there's a big backlog of deliveries due to the strikes (hence the delays), however it's almost been 3 weeks now and I have no idea how the parcel was posted, if it was insured or any other details. 

I am aware that the seller might've posted it just fine and the parcel is just terribly delayed, however the fact that the seller does not answer my questions and doesn't send me the receipt (So I can get in touch with royal mail) makes me want to ask for a refund. 

I have my communications with her saved - as well as the documents she sent to prove she's real. Can someone advice on what I can do? I know that small claims court is one way to do it. Can I do anything else?

Thanks for any advice.

A lot of these scams about unfortunately.

Not saying it is for sure but a lot of scammers will target the elderly and their scams will include uploading formal documents so they can open accounts in their names etc. They can also then use them to try and make them seem more credible for other scams.

I am assuming the payment name on the bank account you sent the payment too didn't match her name on the ID?

Correct, it does not. The payment was made to her husband's account. 

She hasn't blocked me and replies every so often - I can't say for sure it's a scam or just incompetence from Royal Mail. 

Edit: Initially she asked me to go to the address to pay and receive the phone - I got the address and it's a valid one. I couldn't which is why I asked for it to be posted. 

just type gentleman...no need to keep hitting quote.

oldest scam in the book, little old lady selling a top of the range iphone....and you fell for it...:pound:

have you approached your bank and asked if they can get the transfer back.....?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

:rockon:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...