Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

The relationship between ministers and civil servants is, by definition, an unequal one – it takes courage to stand up to a minister or offer an opinion contrary to their own, writes former diplomat Alexandra Hall Hall

BYLINETIMES.COM

The relationship between ministers and civil servants is, by definition, an unequal one – it takes courage to stand up to a minister or offer an opinion...

Illegitimi non carborundum

Interesting podcast and worth reading some of the YouTube comments.

UK has deteriorated during the last 10 years down to a lack of investment and perhaps visitors to UK notice this more?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

WWW.MSN.COM

Why the United States keeps getting richer – with Britain lagging ever further behind

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

On another topic, I've seen a lot about the national alert on mobiles yesterday but I still don't know what the purpose of the test was in the first place. I haven't seen anything explaining it, least of all from the government.

Mrs Sunak's investments seem to be causing a few raised eyebrows.

Carol Vorderman: 'And so it begins.... The rightful unravelling of Sunak's family's financial tax dodging & gov contracts. Also his wife's many assoctd companies many of which seem to go bust owing HMRC'

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

The Labour leader said there seemed to be an ’emerging pattern of behaviour’ when it came to Rishi Sunak’s family’s financial interests

WWW.MSN.COM

Brexit ‘idiocy’ blamed for shrinking London stock market

WWW.MSN.COM

Insolvency experts said companies are struggling to secure financing and pay off loans due to inflation and high interest rates

I speak to people regularly about employment and business related issues.  The trend over recent months is that businesses are starting to cut their costs by not offering as many hours to staff on zero hour contracts, making staff redundant and recruitment plans cancelled.

In my local area, during the last quarter of 2022, there were regularly about 5000 job vacancies within 10 miles radius. During the last few months, the job vacancies number has dropped to about 3000.

Government will need to consider how to offer significant financial help to businesses, while they struggle to deal with less demand from customers and an increase in their costs.  Or the risk will be that the UK economy slides into a recession. UK is not the only one in this position, as other G7 countries such as Germany are also struggling, but UK inflation rate is 10.1% compared to Germany at 7.4%.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent from James O'Brien, as usual. Fair point about Farage just being a heckler with no consturtive ideas.

Someone posted a video on Twitter yesterday, Farage saying if Brexit didn't work he would move abroad...  Piers Morgan commented "Well off you go then, I keep hearing Rwanda is rather nice at this time of year Nigel."

If Labour wins the next election and forms the Government, they say they will try to make Brexit work. But you do wonder whether they will start asking questions about the practical realities, if it looks like the UK is continuing to struggle outside of the EU. And if there is then a majority of people and businesses wanting to have a closer relationship with the EU , I can see Labour looking to enable this, without formally rejoining EU.

I agree, UB. I think Labour can have a constructive relationship with the EU, although things have been a bit better under Sunak.

Changing the subect a little, the Commons Business and Trade committee are going to look at Teeside freeport after allegations of financial dodgy dealings and contracts being awarded with no tender process. Private Eye has been reporting on this for a long time and mainstream media picked it up recently. There was an article in the FT yesterday.

Sarko has lost his appeal against a suspended sentence but is now appealing to France's higher court. People online are suggesting some UK politicians could be suitable for similar cases.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

French court upholds sentence against ex-president in corruption case, saying he must serve one-year’s detention at home

Interesting. Three years ago a Tory MP was told off for being at the NatCon conference. This week, Tory MPs and current and former cabinet ministers spoke at it.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Backbencher Daniel Kawczynski apologises after appearing at conference in Italy

Tories preparing for opposition period, where they can work out which political direction they are heading. Some want to turn right and go back to traditional old fashioned Conservative values and some want to stay closer to centre Liberal modern based politics.

Sounds like the start of the break up of the Tory party. Just unusual to do this about a year before a General election.

Isn't it? A large number of Tory MPs seem to have accepted that the party will lose the GE and they will have to find jobs in the real world.

I think the NatCon conference could be an accelerator to the split, looking at what people like Lee Anderson and Frost said.

This is an interesting take on Braverman's current issue. She got a speeding ticket, tried to make private arrangements for an awareness course rather than attending with ordinary members of the public and it's the fault of 'the blob'?

Not forgetting that she asked IPSA if she could put speeding tickets on expenses. I'm not clear if that was the same ticket.

WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

ANALYSIS: The leak about Suella Braverman and her speeding ticket fuels fears of a Whitehall plot to "take out" Brexiteers. A former official tells...

Peter Oborne on how Sunak has similarities to Johnson.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The former prime minister set a shameful example, and his colleagues are following it, says journalist and author Peter Oborne

• 2 weeks later...

This could be an interesting view on how to control inflation, given the old methods aren't necessarily working. Control profit-led inflation.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Editorial: When the economy doesn’t work in the way that theory suggests, it’s time to junk the theory

I still see people wheeling out pretty full shopping carts out of local Supermarkets.

And there is still quite a lot of food wastage, which given the increased cost  of the food, must mean that UK consumers are throwing out a huge value of food, that could have  helped feed many people who currently rely on food banks.

Reduce the amount of packaged items and go back to market style provision of loose foods for people to weigh up what they need. 

World human population is expected to increase from the current 8 billion to 10 billion by 2050.  So another 2 billion people competing for the resources available. So more pressure on farmers to produce more.

Price controls may work for some produce, if it guarantees producers a minimum amount.

Noticed this locally, that houses have stopped selling and prices are being reduced.

BBC News - House prices fall at fastest pace in nearly 14 years, says Nationwide
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65774620

Might be a negative issue for Government. 

I speak to quite a few people every week about different employment sectors. From what I am being told, we are in for a bumpy ride for a period, due to costs being faced by businesses.

But it is  similar story in other countries. One of my nephews is a business owner in Australia and he is facing tough battle to increase income, to cover the increased costs of running the business