HMRC seek repayment Maxwell and FTR Ltd

Rob Carr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There are some similarities but mine is longer. 

They refer to other cases that I have no knowledge of.

Revenue and Customs v Khawaja [229] BTC123)

61. In consideration of the Tribunals jurisdiction, HMRC note the principles summarised by the Upper Tribunal in R & J Birkett (trading as The Orchards Residential Home,Dunmore Residential Home, Kingland House Residential Home, The Firs Residential Home, Merry Hall Residential Home) v HMRC [2017] UKUT 89 (TCC)(Nugee J and Judge Ashley Greenbank) at [30]:

Dixon dealt with FTR, I never had any dealings with FTR only MTR. However, HMRC paid to FTR. 

99. The Respondents note the Appellant’s comments that he did not authorise Fast Tax Rebate Ltd to act on his behalf. Fast Tax Rebate Ltd were shown as the repayment nominee on the Self-Assessment returns. The Respondents submit that the Appellant was in agreement for Max Tax to submit forms on his behalf and evidence, in the form of messages, demonstrates that Max Tax submitted the returns .

100. The Appellant has provided evidence to show that he received two bank payments which clearly state that they are from ‘Fast Tax Rebates’ and that they relate to a ‘tax refund’.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

The list you just rec'd is HMRC's list of doc'ts they intend to rely on for the hearing.

The doc't you posted on 7th Jan sets out their arguments, contentions and the legislation they'll rely on, much of which you've seen before in exchanges.

IMHO, Para's 91 to 105 are the crutial points. HMRC seek to counter your contention that s.8, ICTA (Electronic Communications) Regs 2003 applies. You've said the refunds were claimed by MaxTax without your knowledge or connivance and HMRC say you DID know about the submissions or connivie with Max Tax.

You have to argue :-

1. You knew MaxTax were acting for you but had no idea what they were doing as you relied on them as tax "experts".

2. You weren't aware that they were acting improperly in using your pesonal Log In access details to file returns on your behalf.

3. You had no knowledge about EIS or MaxTax claiming this on your behalf.

4. You've never suggested you were due any EIS relief, despite HMRC making a big fuss about this aspect. 

5. You're a victim of MaxTax's fraudulent activity, along with maybe hundreds or thousands of similar victims.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 1 month later...

@slick132 hi slick, yes I’ve read through the judges ruling in the Robson appeal. It is a different agent but the similarities are there and the agents could be linked due to the EIS claim being made into Cryoblast.

I’m not getting my hopes up just yet but it is good that someone else has at least had some success. 

Hi Rob,

Yes, it's certainly different in that the agent made the reclaim through the normal agent's channel, as opposed to the majority of cases here on CAG where the agent used the individuals' access portals to file Returns and claim the EIS relief.

But there are relevant similarities that our CAG cases should use to their best advantage.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 4 months later...

Hi, thanks for reopening the thread, I just wanted to update for anyone that was following this thread or similar threads as it seems to have gone quiet recently.

I now have legal representation from independent tax (the same company that represented Huntly).

They have applied for a ‘stay’ in my case due to the similarities in other cases and also that I have my case joined to the ‘tweddle group’ which I believe are a group of people that were also victims of EIS scam albeit through a different agent to Alan maxwell, fast tax rebates etc.

HMRC have submit their pack to the tribunal today and have included the following legislations and cases.

Legislation Reg. 8 Income and Corporation Taxes (Electronic Communications) Regulations 2003 SI2003282 146 Section 157 Income Tax Act 2007 - Eligibility for EIS relief 147 - 148 

Section 203 Income Taxes Act 2007 - Entitlement to claim 149 - 150

Legislation (cont...) Section 28A Taxes Management Act 1970 - Completion of enquiry into personal or trustee return 151 - 155 

Section 31 Taxes Management act 1970 - Right of appeal 156 - 159 

Section 49(D) Taxes Management Act 1970 - Notifying appeal to the Tribunal 160 - 161 

Section 50 Taxes Management Act 1970 - Procedure 162 - 166 

Section 9A Taxes Management Act 1970 - Notice of Enquiry 167 - 170 

Case Law HMRC v Woodstream Europe Ltd [2018] UKUT 398 (TCC) 171 - 186

Huntly v HMRC [2022] UKFTT 00135 (TC) 187 - 205 

McCumisky v HMRC [2022] UKFTT 128 (TC) 206 - 217 

R & J Birkett (trading as The Orchards Residential Home, Dunmore Residential Home, Kingland House Residential Home, The Firs Residential Home, Merry Hall Residential Home) v HMRC [2017] UKUT 89 (TCC) 218 - 234 

Revenue and Customs Commissioners v Khawaja [299] BTC 123croner-i-tax-and-accounting-export 235 - 251

• Like 1

thank you very useful to our members.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Rob and thanks for the update.

I'm pleased to hear you now have expert representation. When HMRC remain so pig-headed focusing stubbornly on their argument - "You received tax relief for EIS to which you were not entitled." - yet remain oblivious to the circumstances where you were all victims of FTR or Maxwell's fraud, you need all the help you can get.

Please keep us updated with events.

I wish you well !