Hot tub bought from B&Q developed fault.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a hot tub from B&Q (bought online) which was delivered a couple of weeks later in May 2021. The cost was circa £650 and it was to be self installed, which I did correctly. All was fine until a couple of weeks ago when it stopped heating water, there was no other fault.

I contacted B&Q,  who gave me the number of the manufacturer and said they dealt with warranty repairs directly and as the product has an automatic warranty this should be covered. This seemd logical so I called the manufacturer and they were very helpful, arranging for collection of the faulty unit very quickly.

The unit was returned late last week, following an email  stating that the warranty repair had been carried out successfully. However, when I have set the system up again it is apparent that the fault has not been repaired, in fact i would be surprised if the unit has actually been taken out of the box in which I sent it in.

I have since looked on owners' forums and this situation with this particular company is not uncommon and they seem to become quite difficult when an attempt is made to follow up.

I am going to follow up with the amnufacturer this morning and may, of course, be pleasantly surprised, but I would appreciate any advice should I not get a positive result.

Also, have I now lost my right to go back to the original seller because I have alldgedly had a repair carried out under "warranty"?

Thanks for your help

George

The liability is with the seller. You shouldn't have accepted the fob off to the manufacturer but as you did this under instruction from the seller, your rights are not affected.

I would suggest that you stop dealing with the manufacturer and deal only with B&Q who sold you the hot tub.

Contact them and tell them that it has stopped working completely and unless they get it sorted within 21 days you will consider that they would have breached their contract to the extent that the contract is terminated.

Tell them that you are not prepared to deal with the manufacturer. That you are fully aware that it is their liability, that you are not interested in any warranty and you are only interested in enforcing your consumer rights under the consumer rights act 2015.

Tell them in your letter that you want confirmation that they will have the item collected and properly repaired and all that would have happened by the end of 21 days. Tell them that they have five days to respond to your letter confirming that the arrangements are in place.

If they don't respond in five days then come back here. If they don't respond satisfactorily in five days then come back here.

There is no point in mucking around with these people. They have huge assets and that should be no difficulty quite frankly in collecting it and reimbursing you.

If you do sue them for the value of the hot tub then you would easily expect to accept a reduction representing about eight months of use. To calculate that you will have to find out what the reasonable life expectancy of the hot tub should be.