Peeling leather on @DFS leather furniture

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Purchased leather furniture (a chair, sofa and a footstool) from DFS in February 2022, delivered in May 2022.

In June ‘23 we noticed that the leather was peeling on the arms and back of the chair. So we reported it to DFS.

In July ‘23 a Service Manager visited to inspect and repair. She advised it was caused by “male natural oils” and despite applying some liquids was unable to fix it. Then advised she would order 2 new arms and a back. 
We were not happy with this and so advised DFS (that day) that in our view the furniture is not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality and we were not prepared to have 3 major parts changed as there would be no guarantee that it will not happen again, or that the new parts would match the remaining original parts. We requested a full collection and refund.

Then DFS responded that as the cause (in their view not mine) was natural oils we should have been referred to Guardsman (the extended warranty) and the parts should NOT have been ordered as it is not considered a manufacturing fault. 

So I emailed back

1. The furniture is guaranteed by DFS for 2 years and the Guardsman policy is for 5 years (3 years after the initial 2 year guarantee)

2. The Guardsman policy expressly states peeling or cracking only is covered once the 2 year’s guarantee has expired

3. How can DFS sell leather furniture for use by 50% of the population (males) if this “causes” a sofa to peel after 14 months?

4. I repeated that the goods were not fit for purpose (as a male apparently cannot put arms on the armrest) and are not of satisfactory quality (peeling leather after 14 months). I requested a full refund on these grounds under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I asked if they did not agree to the refund for a detailed response stating why. I also advised I was willing to use Alternate Dispute Resolution. I gave 14 days for them to give a satisfactory response or it was my intention to issue proceedings in the county court.

I received an acknowledgment and was advised the store would call me - THEY HAVEN’T

Last Friday a member of their Escalation team phoned me to advise that after 30 days from delivery, I could not request a refund and they have the right to repair and that I could not refuse this. Furthermore as it was a gesture of goodwill to replace parts and as they were paying for these parts, they would cancel their order if I did not agree by six o’clock today.

DFS are reluctant to communicate in writing (other than basic acknowledgments), they don’t respond to requests (e.g. details of Alternate Dispute Resolution) and won’t accept the goods are faulty.

Today I googled “DFS” and “peeling leather” and this brought me to your site, where I can see that there have been plenty of other instances in the last few years of DFS leather furniture peeling and being blamed on the consumer.

So we have an ongoing issue because DFS fail to acknowledge their furniture is not compliant with satisfactory quality aspect of the Consumer Rights Act
I would be grateful for any assistance in getting this issue resolved 

they are correct

they have one chance to repair ...outside of 6mts you cant demand a full refund.

warranty plays no part and is useless anyway.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks DX for your reply.

If DFS replace the parts then where do I stand in a few months time when the same thing happens again?
I am very reluctant to accept them replacing these high traffic (their terminology) parts, as I am sure it will reoccur, based on the other stories I have read about peeling leather on DFS furniture on this site and other forums. 
DFS don’t even accept there is a fault. They repeatedly state the offer of parts replacement shouldn’t have been made, but they were willing to proceed as a “goodwill gesture” 

I would be prepared to accept a reduction in refund for the period of time we have used the furniture (less than 10% of its expected lifetime).

DFS can’t even agree how to look after the furniture. Twice since making the complaint we have been advised to wipe with a wet cloth. This is in direct contradiction to the DFS website which states “Don’t use a damp cloth, as this will absorb moisture and cause the leather to crack or peel” We have been using the materials provided by DFS 

they have one chance to repair. if it happens to the items again. full refund minus commensurate use is your route under consumer rights act/laws i expect

dx

• Thanks 1
  • I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...