75mph in 50mph motorway variable speed limit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. 

I think I was flashed the other night on the M25 anti-clockwise between Jct 15 & 16. 

There were several cars around me and we were all moving at about the same speed. 

I was surprised at first because I was trying to stick to 70mph as I thought this was the limit. 

When I was flashed I looked down at my speed and it read 74mph. 

If I assume I had instinctively backed off when the flash went off I guess my real speed may have been between 73-75mph. 

Its really frustrating because I was genuinely trying to be a good citizen and stick to 70(ish). 

I can only assume there must have been a variable speed limit which I missed (there often is on this stretch which is why I am surprised I may have missed the gantry signs) although the gantry after had nothing on it and the next one had the end of variable sign so I assume I was in one. 

speeding is speeding if it was me that was flashed at lets say 75mph in a variable 50mph this would likely be a band B offense.

However I am wondering whether anyone has any experience of similar and whether I might be able to be optimistic of some police discretion and get a fixed penalty (£100 + 3 points)?

Thanks in advance

Edited by dx100uk
block of text spaced to paragraphs

A fixed penalty should be offered for speeds up to 75mph in a 50mph limit. Anything over this will see the matter dealt with in court. All police forces in England and Wales say that they subscribe to the guidelines issued by the National Police Chief's Council (which adopted the guidance of the  Association of Chief Police Officers when that organisation was abolished in 2015). The guideline thresholds can be seen in a table in Section 9 of this document:

https://www.npcc.police.uk/2018 FOI/Operations/030 18 Speed Enforcement Guidance.pdf