British Gas effects credit score because previous bill payer didn't pay up!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I recently discovered my credit score has been affected,

when I investigated as to why I discovered British Gas held a Query against my name because the previous tenant hadn't paid their bill!

I moved into this address in May 2021, I gave a meter reading and set up a direct debit to pay my monthly bill.

I have paid without fail since.

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

The starting point with all utilities complaints is to send an SAR.

Send them a subject access request immediately and see what it brings back to you. Then we will decide what action to take.

However, it seems that we have some unlawful processing here which could be worth a decent chunk of compensation if you are prepared to go the distance.

Hi,

I read through the information regarding a SAR & SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST. I didn't understand what I needed to do next so I contacted ICO by telephone they advised me to go to British Gas website and under PRIVACY POLICY I was able to contact the data protection department - there was also a template letter on ICO'S website that I was able to use. 

Was this the right thing to do?

I suppose it wasn't the worst thing you could have done – but the best thing you could have done would have been to come back here and ask us for clarification.

If you want to take advice from the ICO then you should stick with them. If you want to take advice from us then you should stick with us but trying to ride two horses at the same time is only can cause confusion.

You can be quite certain that the template we have on our website is much better than the ICO's website template. We are far more aggressive and assertive than the ICO which tends to be a bit cosy with businesses.

I think you need to start deciding where you want to go for your support

In the end I took your advise

You should waste no time making complaint about any breach or potential breach of the new GDPR by any data controller.

You can also complain by visiting the ICO website https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

If you send an email then you can use the ICO form below below.

We suggest that you don't hang around. If the data controller/data processor has not complied with your request within the one month deadline then we suggest that you begin your complaint within the next 24 hours. If you feel that they have breached their GDPR obligations in any other way, such as imposing a formality such as a form, or levying an administrative fee which you consider is excessive, then you should make your complaint immediately.

Let the data processor/controller know that you have made this complaint

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

here is the ICO complaints form: –

personal-information-complaints-form.doc74.5 kB · 128 downloads

You get advised by posting in this discussion thread.

If you click the SAR link and go all the way down you should find most of the information you need

And the link which you have posted is a link to an ICO complaints form. It is not linked to an ICO template

Yes the thread was locked because it is simply an information thread.

If you have any questions then you come back to your discussion thread and ask them. We are always happy to answer your questions or to give you some advice which can take you to the next step

you click sar 

copy and paste the sar letter text and fill in the relevant details print it and send it off.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can a utility company register a query against a credit record ?

Seems like a very odd thing to do, unless you are a customer of British Gas and they checked your record before they set up a credit account for your supply.

If you are not a BG customer, there is a central database the energy companies use, so they would see when you registered your details for the supply at the address. But then BG might only do a soft search to see whether you have a link to previous tenant.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It seems they can! I have spoken to both equifax and British Gas as to why this has happened. I registered with British Gas when I moved into the address, giving a meter reading and set up a direct debit. I should not have been associated at all to that previous bill! 

Now that I have raised the issue with equifax there is now a: 

Notice of Correction

This is a statement of up to 200 words that explains any information on your credit report that isn't necessarily wrong but could give lenders a misleading impression. For example, an explanation of missed repayments due to an unexpected event such as a relationship break-up, unemployment or ill health. Once added, a Notice of Correction will stay on your Equifax Credit Report for six years or until you ask us to remove it. Equifax may occasionally use this section to add further details about a court entry in your name or to advise that an entry on the credit report is in query or under dispute. We will remove these once your query or dispute is closed.

Since 21.12.21 this is now on my account under 'notice of correction ' NOTICE OF DISPUTE - THE INDIVIDUAL CONCERNED HAS DISPUTED THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION REGISTERED AT THIS ADDRESS AND WE HAVE NOW CONTACTED THE SUBSCRIBER CONCERNED. CARE SHOULD THEREFORE BE TAKEN WHEN USING THE DATA AT THIS ADDRESS TO ASSESS THE CREDITWORTHINESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL CONCERNED.

Edited by Theangel1971

I've received a reply from British gas: 

GDPR – Right of Access Request (also known as Subject Access Request/DSAR)

Thank you for your email requesting a Subject Access Request. We have separately raised the issue of your credit score with our credit reporting team and will be back in touch regarding this as soon as possible.

What we require from you to proceed with the Subject Access Request:

We are required to use all reasonable measures to verify the identity of anyone requesting access to their data. This helps us keep your data safe from unauthorised access. In order to verify your identity against the information held against your account we require from you:

• A document from Column A from the identification verification document attached.

• If you also require any details related to banking information, then we will also require a document from Column B (due to the heightened security risk that this poses).

The information you send to us is deleted once we have validated your identity and is only used for this purpose. Until we can confirm your identity, we are unable to act on your request.

Useful information to provide to us to enable the most accurate and fastest response:

• For us to use our file transfer service we require a mobile telephone number so that when we have completed the request, we can send a password with a code in order to access the link that we send to you – from this link you can download your data.

• To ensure we can locate all of your data, please provide us with a full list of all addresses where you have held products and services.

Next steps:

Our verification step is required by us to ensure that we verify the identity of those making the request before responding and to ensure that we do not unlawfully disclose any personal or sensitive data.

On receipt of the documentation, we will respond to you acknowledging receipt of the request and confirm when you can expect to receive a response from us.

We hope this clarifies our position and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Yours sincerely,

did you include a CTAX bill copy as the sar thread advised?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

there are numerous posts in our SAR link thread.

obv its not the address you are currently resident at so they are entitled to check who you are.

and they

This seems to be turning into a massive struggle – and I don't really know why.

If you are a resident at that address and you are paying bills from that address, then clearly there should be no question as to your identity and unfortunately these companies like to play this kind of game.

This is already gone on too long and you should have sent the SARs a long time ago. This is very simply comply and get the SAR underway.

I have received a reply: 

Thank you for returning your identification documentation which was received on 04.01.2022. This has now been deleted from our system.

We have begun a search of our records for your data, using the information provided by you, to look to complete your request. 

You can expect to receive a response from us by the 03.02.2022.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Is there anything I can do about how it has effected my credit score?

Has the credit record search required because you took out an account with British Gas actually harmed your credit record/rating ?

Is the harm more because of the debt left by previous occupant of the property ?

Can you prove this ?

If yes, can you quantify any potential loss value ?

If your annoyance is at a level where you want to sue BG, then send a letter threatening to issue a County Court claim against them, because their actions have caused you (state the reasons and potential loss ). Give them a date by which you require them to repair your credit record to avoid the issuance of the Court claim.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

According to Equifax there is now a Q on my account relating to British Gas as of June 2021.

This relates to the bill outstanding from before I moved in.

My score has gone from excellent to good because of this. I have spoken to British Gas about this who have so far done nothing about it. 

I have also sent them a sar.

Before this I have only Green ticks on all of my accounts 

• 2 weeks later...