Inheritance and Benefits

Lester Burnham
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I am retired and in line for a six figure inheritance. Some of my benefits are means tested and I would like to pass over my entitlement to inherit to my adult children, with of course the permission of the other executors and beneficiaries. This matter is at the earliest stage, the application for probate is about to be made. 

Am I correct in thinking that as long as I don't make the mistake of taking the money and then passing it to the children then I am acting lawfully?

Regards and Thanks

TL

Edited by Lester Burnham

Thank you. I think you could have a problem under the Deprivation of Capital rules.

I'm not an expert but my understanding of the philosophy is that money you come into is meant to be used to look after you and take pressure off the state or the council, rather than being given to someone else, for whatever good reasons. Councils have quite wide powers and I believe there's quite a lot they can do if they believe Deprivation of Capital has happened.

This link is talking about Universal Credit but I believe the principle is the same. Have a read around on Deprivation of Capital.

HB

WWW.ENTITLEDTO.CO.UK

Check what benefit entitlement you are entitled to. The entitledto benefits calculator will check which means-tested benefits you may be entitled to...

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks HoneyBee

Do those rules realistically come up for scrutiny during the handling of the estate?

Or more specifically, would the solictor handling the estate be compelled to ask questions regarding the benefit status of the transferee, along the same lines as being compelled to check the Insolvency Register?

regards

TL

Edited by Lester Burnham

I have no direct experience of this so I don't know the answers to what you're asking. I thought you said you wouldn't be the transferee though.

What you're trying to do isn't justifiable on moral grounds and you seem to saying you would rely on the council not finding out.

Be aware that if the council were to find out about this, they have powers to go back an unlimited time to check what's happened. If they find out that you deliberately gave away money that was due to you, they can treat you as if you still had it and reduce the amount they pay towards your care.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Andyorch changed the title to Inheritance and Benefits

Similar situation may be of interest to you:-

WWW.THISISMONEY.CO.UK

I don't need the money and would rather that my children had the money to help them. Can I turn down the bequest in the will, or do I have to accept it and pass it on myself?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you Andy!

Does anyone have a list of the statutory checks a solicitor managing an estate must conduct before disbursing monies to beneficiaries?

For example, I know they are required to check the Insolvency Register for bankruptcy, DRO and IVA issues. What are the other checks they are legally obliged to conduct?

Yes beware of deprivation of capital rules which apply to some benefits.

This link is for the Capital section of the Advice for Decision Makers which is available online.

e.g.   https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1038390/admh1.pdf

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

WWW.OMMLAW.CO.UK

If you have an objection to receiving an inheritance bequeathed to you, there are things that can be done. Find out more in this article.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread