Landlord wants to claim my full deposit from DPS but has promised to send it back to me afterwards?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Hopefully someone can help me with this.. 

myself and my partner have recently bought a home and have today given our one months notice to our current landlord 

About an hour after speaking to him I had an email (attached) stating that he wants to claim the full deposit from me. I thought this was a mistake so I phoned him and he said it was common for landlords to claim the money from DPS and then send it back to the tenant following a successful inspection. 

if he had my deposit from DPS then surely I would have zero protection if I disagreed with any “charges” he tried to hit me with? Does this seem normal? I am thinking of just telling him no, and that if he wants to deduct any money he should do it following the inspection - not before it. FF2C1680-A91B-462D-ACAA-6E7740BCD9E7-converted.pdf

From the very little l have read he cant do that. No expert just from y understanding with regards to when my brother was moving out of his last place. 

I thought they could only submit claims for actual damage/repairs/broken items. 

Tho l will say l have read some interesting storys re the scheme and landlords 

Maybe give this a read it does explain a bit. I would go to whoever the deposit is held with and ask questions. 

WWW.TENANCYDEPOSITSCHEME.COM

TDS is the UK's longest running tenancy deposit scheme. We provide award-winning Insured and Custodial protection for Agents and Landlords.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

WWW.GOV.UK

Tenant's guide to deposit protection schemes - your deposit, information landlords must provide, disputes and advice

• Thanks 1

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Rubbish, It's not a common thing for LL's to do

The LL is trying it on, you should inform the DPS of what he is trying to do !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

This happened to me when I moved from my last place recently, but my LL was pretty decent so I got back about 60% after I agreed / offered to let her get a repair done for a broken floorboard (Broke it the day before I moved when sorting stuff out) 

Depends how good your LL is. Pretty sure the official line is you have to claim it back etc 

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Also you have evidence that he has said that via Email. so he cant say it was a miss understanding via phone call. Stay off the phone and have everything in writing as this way you can make sure if he slips up in writing that you have evidence and he can have the fun 

I am a landlord and can explain how the DPS repayment process works

• You or the landlord can start the repayment process online
  • The landlord then has to say if they are prepared to release the deposit or are retaining any part of the deposit (they must have valid reasons for this) - if there is a dispute there is an arbitration process 
  • The DPS pay the tenant directly and the landlord does not see the money at all but gets notified that the deposit has been repaid

In summary I recommend that you don't accept anything other than payment direct from the DPS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2