British Gas Debt For property i left

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello im new here so ill try to do my best but im looking for help with a debt i just recieved.

• in 2018 I moved to a property lets call it A and signed up for British gas dual tariff for both gas and electricity.
  • March 2020 I contacted British gas to tell them i no longer needed their supply as i was moving out, i was told to give an address I was moving to (My parents) which i did and that was that.
  • March 2020 move back in with parents.
  • December 2020  I move to a new property.
  • March 2021 i receive a debt letter from a collection company for two separate accounts one Gas and one electricity both adding up to around  £1300. 
  • Contact collector who said the would contact british gas. British gas have now contacted me.
  • British gas have said i never told them i was moving and need to provide an end of tenancy agreement and 2 other letters confirming i moved.
  • British Gas want me to pay March 2020 to March 2021 for property i left.
  • I have letters from Virgin media to say account ended April 2020 but they wont accept this.
  • I never received anything from landlord to say i moved out but told them i would ask for a letter from landlord to confirm they said this will not be accepted.

I am unsure what my next move with them should be as i have no proof of a new tenancy as a moved in with parents (whom would happily write a letter again told not accepted) i have post dated april to dec from parents address including driving license with address on but again they wont accept any of this. The only tenancy i have is a new one i took out in DEC for the property i now live in but this only covers me DEC - MARCH.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose that you dealt with most of this stuff on the telephone when you first moved out. If you did, then learn the lesson. Always make sure that you lay down a paper trail.

Send them on SAR to begin with. Do that straightaway. Don't worry about their bullying approach to not receiving letters et cetera. Get the letter from the landlord and give them a copy along with any other proofs you have – and then by and large, tell them to go and do one.

See what the SAR returns.

is this on your credit file?

and who was the 'collection agency'

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...