Issue with SCS corner sofa purchased via video call **Resolved**

DGA
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning guys, I'm after a bit of advice. 

We placed an order with SCS (via video call) in mid Jan '21 for a La Z Boy corner sofa. The sofa was described to us as that comfortable we wouldn't want to get off it. 

The sofa was finally delivered yesterday. To our surprise it is very uncomfortable. I realise that with a new sofa you'd expect the cushions to be firm, but to the extent that it's not comfortable? It's not just that, the whole geometry just seems to be off. 

Where do we stand exactly? Spending £3k on a sofa was almost twice our budget, but with the guarantee and how comfortable it was meant to be it was more of an investment.

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thank you. 🙂

Is it the sofa  that you ordered and paid for ?

If the sofa matches your order plus any adertisement,  but it is just an issue with wearing in and getting used to it, then I would suggest that you give it at least a couple of weeks.  Also check to make sure all protective packing has been removed as sometimes there are hidden protective packing for transit, which should be removed before use. 

If after the first two weeks of use, you are still not satisfied that the quality matches what was promised, then raise a complaint with SCS and make sure this is backed up in writing, if initial contact is by phone.  Any phone calls should be recorded.

Remember that you need to reject within 30 days under Consumer Rights Act 2015 to ensure a full refund. Basis needs to be not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or  not as described.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Was this sofa made-to-measure/built specially for you or was it a standard item?

Thanks guys! SCS have offered a full refund or we can go in to store choose another sofa while keeping the La Z Boy so we're not without a sofa. 

Result. 😊 

• Like 1

Glad you managed to resolve quickly.  I guess the refund will only be processed, once you have ordered the replacement sofa and it has been delivered ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• BankFodder changed the title to Issue with SCS corner sofa purchased via video call **Resolved**
3 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Glad you managed to resolve quickly.  I guess the refund will only be processed, once you have ordered the replacement sofa and it has been delivered ?

We're not ordering a replacement from them, just a full refund and then actually go in to a shop or two from next week. 

I guess they'll process the refund once the sofa is back with them and has been inspected. 

You didn't answer my question above as to whether it was made-to-measure – which is a shame. It would have been helpful to know for you and for other people.

Normally speaking if you buy an item online then you benefit from the distance selling rules and that means you have a 14 day cooling off period and during that period you can return the item to the retailer for any reason. However, if the item has been made-to-measure then you don't have that right.

If the item is faulty then you can reject the item within 30 days after that you have six months during which you have the right to insist on a repair or a refund.

I have to say that being promised that the sofa would be "comfortable" would scarcely be considered to be a term of the contract and I don't think that the fact that you might find it uncomfortable would be considered to be a defect.

On that basis, assuming that it was a stock item – which I asked you about new haven't addressed – you would only be entitled to use the 14 day cooling off period unless you identify some defect.

"We're not ordering a replacement from them, just a full refund and then actually go in to a shop or two from next week. 

I guess they'll process the refund once the sofa is back with them and has been inspected. "

Sounds like the basis of the refund offer is not totally clear. The person from the store may have a different opinion on this and is expecting there to be an "opportunity" to sell you a replacement when you come into their store. 

Otherwise I would expect them to be sending out a van quickly to recover the sofa.

• Like 1

I agree my site team colleague above. It doesn't sound at all clear.

Have you organise all of this on the telephone or have you got anything in writing?

Also you still haven't told us whether this was a made-to-measure sofa. Is there some reason that you're not telling us this?