British gas, no account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had an online V3 account with BG which was due to end in May 21, I was selling my house so ended the contract and gave final readings (there was a slight problem but won't go into that) after a while the final bill was settled.

Then the person decided not to buy the property so its been empty for approx 8 months, Ive obviously used gas and electric in that time ,keeping the house warm etc,

I have contacted BG both online and by phone, both pass the buck back and forth, both say there is no account open, and neither can find any information regarding this account !!

I have the final readings from when it was closed down in January and the readings from this morning.

I contacted citizens advice who said to

" keep hold of the readings and if BG request further information when the new owners set up with a new supplier then I have the info to share with them"

Is this the correct thing to do ,  as I was about to try set up an account with another supplier , pay the bill, then cancel it, but CAB also informed me that, that won't be allowed to happen.

I Feel ill with worrying, can anyone suggest anything to help ?

Much appreciated.

Setup the new supplier, but obv dont cancel it till you actually sell.

Bg will then most probably contact via sending a letter to the occupier asking for the sum between accounts.

D,x

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply dx

CAB said no other provider could take it on, don't know why ! 

I dont understand why BG can't just set up another account, I am meeting with new buyer tomorrow, maybe I should ask if they're happy to set it up and I'll pay them when the first bill comes through covering the period to when the sale goes through.

Once again, thanks for the reply.

CAB are correct. it wont transfer to any new supplier whomever opens an account at the address.

typically as i said, the address will get a letter to the occupier once any new supplier is sogned upto.

thats when you pay it.

as when 'they' move in, the meter reading will be a differing value.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You told British Gas that you were moving, so the account was cancelled in May 2020.  Nobody has paid for the energy supply since May 2020.

I would think the supply at the address is still with British Gas, but you can check this.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Best take photos as evidence of dated meter readings showing the meter number as well, both for your case here, and as general advice. 

That way you always have proof in case of any dispute - this has been useful to me on several occasions when suppliers screw up.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Yes I did that and its saying BG, I also got the meter point reference numbers just in case.

Like I said, I'm meeting new buyer today so will explain the situation.

Thanks again for all the help.

Buyer came round at weekend , I explained the situation with them, they're fine with me paying whatever it is from last payment to setting up new account. Hope its a decent tariff, knowing my luck I'll get hammered on standing charges as well.

Much appreciated everyone for the help and input.👌👍

i'm not sure you are actually understanding whats going on here even though several people have explained it.

it won't matter what deal the new owner gets or with whom, what you might have to pay to BG will always be at their default tariff.

and they